• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Grafton Free Market

Started by MTPorcupine3, September 17, 2009, 07:03 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MTPorcupine3

Sundays and Wednesdays in good weather
Lunchtime
1000 Main Street

There are a few of us Graftonites (not to be confused with any particular organiser or central committee) who have decided to start a weekly event known as the Grafton Free Market. This post is intended to be a seed to get the ball rolling. The basic idea is something like this:

What: A truly free market, with no cost to vendors.
When: Every Saturday, weather permitting.
Time: To be determined. Perhaps 10-13:00.
Cost: Free. Any freewill offerings will be used for advertising.
Where: Grafton Rec Field.
Who: Anyone with anything to sell. Have surplus produce from your backyard garden? Cookies, sauerkraut, or other goodies baked in your kitchen? Stuff to clear out of the attic? A MLM opportunity? Pencils you bought for 1¢ each and want to sell for 50¢ each? Information about anything you want to give away for free? Massages? Want to hire yourself out for odd jobs?
Why: To provide an opportunity to exercise free marketing with no fees, unreasonable rules or regulations, or other deterrents at an easily accessible, open venue bound to attract passersby.
Rules:
1. Love thy neighbour as thyself.
2. Respect the site.
3. Defraud or harm no one.
4. Break any statute (permit, licensure, etc.) at your own risk.

Lex

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on September 17, 2009, 07:03 AM NHFT
Why: To provide an opportunity to exercise free marketing with no fees, unreasonable rules or regulations, or other deterrents at an easily accessible, open venue bound to attract passersby.
Rules:
1. Love thy neighbour as thyself.

So, if I love myself more than my neighbor I won't be allowed to sell pencils?

What about situations where you don't know your neighbors? Or what if you think they are bad people?

Mike Barskey

I think the Free Market is a great idea! I'll participate, but only infrequently, as I live so far away. :(

But I agree with Lex: Rule #1 seems irrelevant to this idea. Can I not sell pencils or hire myself out for odd jobs if I don't like the person next to me who's doing the same? Also, why did you use archaic language ("thy")?

Tom Sawyer

I think people like Mike and the non-loving pencil seller should be excluded... ;D

D Stewart

"Thy" is archaic?  Thou speak falsely, methinks.

I remain Sir,

Yours etc.,

Lloyd

Russell Kanning

this will be happening without the full approval or assistance of forum debaters

should be good Kat will show up sometimes with stuph to sell

the best part about the location is that you can find it from the satellite images

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 18, 2009, 08:43 AM NHFT
should be good Kat will show up sometimes with stuph to sell

Why did you use futuristic language ("stuph")?

:)

Kat Kanning

There's nothing Russell likes better than King James' English.

MTPorcupine3

Bump! Anyone going to be there tomorrow, Saturday?

Jacobus

K. Darien Freeheart

I'm in Grafton and have heard no buzz. :(

Russell Kanning

if MJ is not sold tomorrow, they won't even be keeping up with the Manchester free market in veterans park ;)

K. Darien Freeheart

Quoteif MJ is not sold tomorrow, they won't even be keeping up with the Manchester free market in veterans park

Does that mean you'll bring brownies? ;)

MTPorcupine3

My original plan was to start up the market next spring. A couple of people convinced me that they were interested in getting it going this fall, but no concrete steps that I know of have been taken to actually do it. In any case, unless we find a private indoor facility to do this, this is to be a 'weather permitting' event, so today doesn't look like such a good day anyway. I'd like to see this thing get off the ground, but I'm in no big hurry.

This free market idea, by the way, was inspired by a weekly event in a town in Oregon that I attended once whilst visiting a farm there. It's called the Bread Club and takes place every Thursday afternoon. At that time a book store owner shuts down his shop that happens to be on a corner. Invitees and their friends and neighbours are then free to come in the side door.

Inside there is all sorts of 'commerce' going on: homebaked, homegrown, and homemade goodies of all sorts. No licence, no regulation, just free market in action. The owner opens up one bottle of homemade wine at a time, has cups available, and a donation jar. He's not selling his elderbery, cherry, plum and blackberry wine. He's offering samples. If people make freewill offerings for it, tant mieux.

So, if anyone, anywhere in New Hampshire wants to host such an event indoors and year round (with or without alcohol), let us know! I have an idea where, but it might be best not to mention it on line.

Kat Kanning

I've been working every Saturday.  :-\