• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rocketman's Rocketplan -- moving in May?!?!

Started by Rocketman, October 01, 2005, 09:30 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

Hey everybody,

I told my "bosses" at the college I'd be leaving after spring semester, so it looks like that's when I'll be moving to NH!? I can't wait to get there, but I'm also a little anxious about leaving a cushy teaching job and probably starting my first business.? I'll be grateful for any advice, feedback, and help I can get, especially from you folks who are already there in the free state.

As many of you know, my dream is to own and operate a successful brewpub.? To start a brewpub and do it right takes a lot of money, and I don't want to start off in debt up to my eyeballs, so I'd be just as happy starting off with a smallish bar and going from there.? If anybody has any leads, let me know.? I have not decided on a town yet, so the town which presents the best business opportunity will probably get me as a resident (and activist? ;)).

I am also considering any other small business ideas that have low start-up costs.? Any good ideas or leads will be entertained and appreciated, so just send me a personal message.?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Simon

Otosan

Rocketman is set to blast off for NH... ;D

Hope things work out for you...

Otosan

Michael Fisher

Woohoo!!!  :) :) :)  That's great news, Matt!  :)

My wife supported me for a year while starting my business.  My business is still slow (it can take over 3 years to start a business), but my wife wanted to start her own business so I found some part-time contract work.

Now I'm running my business and working to support my wife while she starts her business.  Her business is taking off big-time though because she started out working somewhere else and gained a good reputation in the area, so she doesn't really need my support.   :o

My advice is to start slow and get part-time work to support your business if necessary, but try not go work more than 20 hours per week part-time or it will interfere with your business too much.  Start out with 6 months of expenses saved up and live minimally while starting your business to make the funds last longer.

Do not underestimate your business expenses.  Avoid overhead costs as much as possible.  Newspaper, radio, and TV advertising is terrible for a very small business with limited funds.  The effectiveness of direct mail is difficult to predict.  Definitely partner with local businesses in some way if you can.

Most importantly, networking and word-of-mouth advertising is the key, IMO.  If you make your business unique and appealing, everyone will be talking about it.   :)

What could you do with a brewpub to make it so unique that everyone will talk about it?

Rocketman

Thanks, Otosan!

And Mike, I hope you aren't suggesting I get married?!?!? Maybe when I'm 87 years old!? ?8)

Seriously, I appreciate your input.? As for the brewpub, I do have a few semi-unique ideas, but in that business, if you make great beer you will be the talk of the town; if you don't, you will struggle and eventually fail.? Of course you want to have good food and service, and of course you want it to be a nice place to hang out (and plan a revolution? ;D), but brewpubs live and die based on the quality and consistency of their product.?

New Hampshire has a high percentage of serious ale-drinkers -- high enough to support a good brewpub in any town with at least, say, 12-15 thousand people.? ?I've been to five NH brewpubs (PorcFest Week was fun!), and only one has been truly lousy: Moat Mountain Smokehouse in Conway (the best is Woodstock Inn in North Woodstock).  Interestingly, Concord seems to be the town which most conspicuously lacks a brewpub, and what better place for a Porcupine-friendly watering hole?

Unfortunately, a brewpub/restaurant would be a huge amount of money and effort right away.? If I start a smaller business, I could work on the side.? I could teach a class or two at a local college, or maybe even make myself useful to some of those homeschoolers.? The brewpub can wait a couple years while I earn money and gain experience.

So there's a lot on my mind; I'm not the sort of person who dives in headfirst without being pretty darn sure I can succeed.? I assume that if I make good choices, I will be successful, and if I make bad choices, I will be less successful and possibly fail.? So, eight months to do my homework... all reasonable ideas will be considered.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Rocketman on October 01, 2005, 03:55 PM NHFT
I'm not the sort of person who dives in headfirst without being pretty darn sure I can succeed.

Confidence, patience, and hard work are extremely important to starting a business.  But success is never assured.  An entrepreneur can only jump in head first, after some preparation, and do his best.  Planning for more than a few weeks will not improve your chances, it will actually hurt your chances for success in my opinion.  Failing to plan is planning to fail, but analysis paralysis kills countless entrepreneurial dreams.

You shouldn't start by carefully dipping your toe in the pool and eventually making your way into the water after much deliberation.  If you want to make a splash, you have to jump in.  Just try to make it a calculated jump so you don't miss the pool or find out the pool is shallow or empty.  ;)

Kat Kanning

Rocketman

Kat:

I always was!  I just had to dip my toe in the water.   ;D

Russell Kanning

He has time to plan .... since he doesn't live here yet.

We finally hit the Elm City brewpub with Ken and Leslie.....it was pretty good.

Concord would be great .... we really need an obvious meetup point/watering hole when we do things in Concord. We would visit your place at least once a month and we don't drink or live in Concord. 8)

FSPinNY

Matt's Porcupine Ale

- the freedom to drink the very best -

Brewed and Bottled in Concord, New Hampshire

KBCraig

C'mon, now... it's got to involve Shorty Dawkins and Upton's Corners somewhere on the label!

Rocketman

Brian, that has a nice ring to it!

Kevin: can you say "Shorty Dawkins' Good Brown Ale?"

AlanM

Rocketman,
I have begun putting together a show about "The Legend of Shorty Dawkins". Iy's not really a play, but more an "Entertainment", which will be a combination of story-telling and song-fest. It will take a while to develop, longer still to produce. Perhaps it will be ready for the fall after your arrival. Sure would be great to have some "Shorty Dawkins Good Brown Ale" for the festivities.  :)
Think it might be a good idea to have a penny or two from the sale of each bottle or glass of it go to the LSF.

Alan
Friend of Shorty

Michael Fisher

Quote from: AlanM on October 03, 2005, 11:06 PM NHFT
Rocketman,
I have begun putting together a show about "The Legend of Shorty Dawkins". Iy's not really a play, but more an "Entertainment", which will be a combination of story-telling and song-fest. It will take a while to develop, longer still to produce. Perhaps it will be ready for the fall after your arrival. Sure would be great to have some "Shorty Dawkins Good Brown Ale" for the festivities.? :)
Think it might be a good idea to have a penny or two from the sale of each bottle or glass of it go to the LSF.

Alan
Friend of Shorty

Woohoo, Alan's back!   :) :) :)

AlanM

Thanks Mike, I got over my hissy fit.  ;D I've been spending time on Shorty. Wrote 2 new songs for the "Show".

KBCraig