• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Can somebody give me advice about getting a job?

Started by Raineyrocks, October 09, 2009, 02:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I went to school to become an LNA in March of '09 and I have yet to find a job.   All the places I applied at want someone with at least 1 year's experience!  Well, how is anyone supposed to gain experience if no one will hire them?

There's a couple positions available about an hour away which is fine, I don't care anymore because I'm going to lose my license if I don't get 200 hours of job time in by March '10.   

Anyways, they want 3 professional references and I don't have them, I haven't worked in ages.  I have my LNA instructor and that's it.

Any advice?

Lloyd Danforth

Get a descent letter from your instructor.  Go to the people with the job and lay t out to them. Many schools establish connections to place their students.

Moebius Tripp

You might also offer to intern for a week or so to show 'em your chops.  And ya, nearly every voc school worth their salt has a placement program.

Friday

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 09, 2009, 02:40 PM NHFT
I went to school to become an LNA in March of '09 and I have yet to find a job.   All the places I applied at want someone with at least 1 year's experience!  Well, how is anyone supposed to gain experience if no one will hire them?

There's a couple positions available about an hour away which is fine, I don't care anymore because I'm going to lose my license if I don't get 200 hours of job time in by March '10.   

Anyways, they want 3 professional references and I don't have them, I haven't worked in ages.  I have my LNA instructor and that's it.

Any advice?
If I recall correctly, you kind of live out in the boonies.  So yeah, having to commute an hour to get to a job is perfectly understandable.  It sounds like maybe you haven't yet applied for any jobs farther away than that; perhaps you should consider that.   

As far as references, can you think of any non-work-related sort of professional references you could get?  Do you volunteer anywhere?  Are you involved with a church?  If you don't have coworkers who can refer you, getting someone in a position of responsibility who can vouch that you're an honest, hardworking, go-getter sort of person is an acceptable alternative for some employers.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 09, 2009, 06:19 PM NHFT
Get a descent letter from your instructor.  Go to the people with the job and lay t out to them. Many schools establish connections to place their students.

Excellent suggestion as usual, thanks Lloyd!  ;D    The school I went to got shut down, it had nothing to do with me, I don't know what happened.   They were suppose to help 'place' students so now I'm wondering if I can somehow get some of my tuition back.  :-\

I have a possible lead, it's in Belmont overnight on Fridays.  It's only 1 day but it's something, if it works out.  :)

The thing that really bites though is if I take this job it's not overseen by an RN so it wouldn't count towards the 200 hours I need to keep my NH LNA license.  :P

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Moebius Tripp on October 09, 2009, 07:39 PM NHFT
You might also offer to intern for a week or so to show 'em your chops.  And ya, nearly every voc school worth their salt has a placement program.

That's not a bad idea, thanks!  :)   How would I offer to intern, just call them?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Friday on October 10, 2009, 07:00 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 09, 2009, 02:40 PM NHFT

Any advice?
If I recall correctly, you kind of live out in the boonies.  So yeah, having to commute an hour to get to a job is perfectly understandable.  It sounds like maybe you haven't yet applied for any jobs farther away than that; perhaps you should consider that.   

As far as references, can you think of any non-work-related sort of professional references you could get?  Do you volunteer anywhere?  Are you involved with a church?  If you don't have coworkers who can refer you, getting someone in a position of responsibility who can vouch that you're an honest, hardworking, go-getter sort of person is an acceptable alternative for some employers.

That's true, thanks Friday!  :)   

My only problem with traveling is that I can't drive at night so if I could get a job where I have to show up in the afternoon, (light out), and stay overnight I could take that.  I can't take a day job because I'm homeschooling Ricky.

I don't volunteer anywhere and I'm not involved with any churches. 

I was cleaning condos last year but only about 3 or 4 and I doubt she'd remember me.  I can't think of anyone that I know of in a position of responsibility that can vouch for me.  Would my realtor that I'm friends with be a possibility?  If she would, there would be 2 people so far.  :-\

thinkliberty

you could try starting your own child care business?

That way you are your own boss.  And you could work from home.

Moebius Tripp

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2009, 04:22 PM NHFT

That's not a bad idea, thanks!  :)   How would I offer to intern, just call them?

If they require experience in their job posting, but the posting remains unfilled, then ya, just call them.  Tell them your situation about the school shutting down, any other pertinent details, and that you'd be willing to intern for a (short) while (maybe offer a week- to two weeks) with the intent of being hired.  I imagine that an intern position under an RN will qualify for hours, even if they don't hire you.  Also, you would then have *some* work experience, which is better than none.

KBCraig

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2009, 04:32 PM NHFT
I can't take a day job because I'm homeschooling Ricky.

One of the things we love most about home-schooling is the flexibility. We "school" any time, anywhere, about any subject that comes up.

Have you checked with a temp agency? PRN staffing is always a good way to get started.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: thinkliberty on October 14, 2009, 04:45 PM NHFT
you could try starting your own child care business?

That way you are your own boss.  And you could work from home.

Thanks, I once thought about this until I got a babysitting job in Maryland.  I was supposed to watch this 7 month old baby boy, my daughter was 14 months old at the time so anyways I did something so stupid.

I sat the baby down for a second on the kitchen floor to get Brandie something and derrrr I didn't think that he really wasn't able to sit all on his own yet.  So he fell over and I quick ran to him, he was fine but had a big red mark on his head, (no bump), well RING goes the doorbell.  I know, I know, I should've known better!  Like, how could I be so stupid!  :duh:

It was his mom coming to pick him up and right away she noticed the red mark on his head and I was at such a lose as to what to say and I know I came off real nervous.  So you can imagine, her not knowing me, she must have had all kinds of thoughts running through her mind, I would have.     

So I of course, told her the truth, it's her kid and she had the right to know.  Well, she didn't bring him to me anymore and I was so nervous that I was going to be reported for abuse when it was just a stupid move on my part, the baby was fine.  Anyways that made me question my intelligence to no end and become even more paranoid.

You may be asking am I really qualified to be an LNA after that story and I think I've learned my lesson even though there is this story I will post under this one later about a LNA clinical experience I had.

I'm too afraid of babysitting because what if the kid goes home and says he/she heard a curse word, saw me smoke a cigarette, tripped on a rug.  To me there's too many ways to get social services on my butt and if there's one thing I totally hate it is getting blamed for something I didn't do wrong.

I could have understood that mother getting mad at me and I would have accepted the anger because I did do something stupid and it involved her son but let's say she just accused me of not changing his diapers enough, when I did, that would've made me mad.

I know, I know, I ramble and your probably sorry you suggested anything, sorry!  Thank you though!  ;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Moebius Tripp on October 14, 2009, 04:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2009, 04:22 PM NHFT

If they require experience in their job posting, but the posting remains unfilled, then ya, just call them.  Tell them your situation about the school shutting down, any other pertinent details, and that you'd be willing to intern for a (short) while (maybe offer a week- to two weeks) with the intent of being hired.  I imagine that an intern position under an RN will qualify for hours, even if they don't hire you.  Also, you would then have *some* work experience, which is better than none.

Okay, thanks!  :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on October 14, 2009, 05:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2009, 04:32 PM NHFT
I can't take a day job because I'm homeschooling Ricky.

One of the things we love most about home-schooling is the flexibility. We "school" any time, anywhere, about any subject that comes up.

Have you checked with a temp agency? PRN staffing is always a good way to get started.

I have and the temp agencies said that they require 1 year experience first.   :-\   I haven't called every single place yet, though.  Your post just gave me a good idea too  :idea1:!   

Regarding temp work, I could work the days that Rick is home and he homeschools Ricky in math, so I'm not totally unavailable all week during the day.  Thanks!  ;D