• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Eating raw questions

Started by Raineyrocks, October 16, 2009, 03:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

BillKauffman

QuoteOrganic produce is so expensive!

No, non-organic is cheaper because we don't have a true cost pricing system to account for all of the negative externalities we are subject to...

If we did, local and organic would always be cheaper...

Raineyrocks

Quote from: William Lee on October 21, 2009, 05:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 21, 2009, 04:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: Sovereign Curtis on October 19, 2009, 02:51 PM NHFT

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2263556

Wow, awesome links, thanks!  :D

This page made me nervous though, (from the first link).

Many mushrooms are poisonous some are deadly poisonous.

We have made every effort to ensure accuracy on this website but, in the end, the responsibility for eating any mushroom or fungus must rest with the individual; for instance there are people who are allergic to all species of mushrooms. If you collect any mushrooms to eat make sure that your identification checks out in every detail. Never eat any wild mushroom until an expert mycologist has checked your identification. Even when you know a mushroom well weather conditions or animal damage can cause differences in appearance that could lead to misidentification.

No responsible mycologist would not include a disclaimer along those lines.  Don't be discouraged. The people listed in the second link are expert mycologists who can verify your mushroom id's. 

You'll want to learn how to take spore prints.  They are very helpful in mushroom id.

http://www.shroomery.org/8404/Spore-printing-Pictorial

These threads about outdoor cultivation may be interesting also.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/61

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/48.html

Psilocybe azurescens can grow outside in NH and are much more potent than the more common cubensis.  Psilocybe spores are legal to buy in the U.S. but only "for microscopy".

http://sporeworks.com/store/catalog/Psilocybin-Genera-Spores-Major-and-Minor-p-1-c-250.html

Interesting, thanks!  Confusing though!  :BangHead:

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat K on October 22, 2009, 12:06 AM NHFT

Now that's eating raw!

:biglaugh:  Nummy!

It looks like some "special, oily" cookie dough somebody bought me at a Woodstock like place!  >:D

Hmmmn,  Carrie just bought me 2 cooked chocolate chip cookies.  Rick just bought me a real strong Kahalua, (sp?), and milk.  I wonder what's going on!  :-\ 

Oh well, cheers!  ;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: BillKauffman on October 23, 2009, 11:03 AM NHFT

No, non-organic is cheaper because we don't have a true cost pricing system to account for all of the negative externalities we are subject to...

Oh Gosh, I'm sooooo confused!  :-\

KBCraig

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2009, 03:01 PM NHFT

What Bill was saying is that there are always costs beyond what the price register says. Those costs include things like the taxes we pay to build and maintain the roads the trucks use to transport non-local products long distances, and are part of the "true price" we pay for those items. (Don't forget price supports for farmers!)

Those things are "external" to the price we see at the register, but we still pay them.

There are external costs to local goods, too, but they are usually lower. I say "usually", because things like government restrictions or favoritism in the use of land, special tax breaks, etc., can also add to the cost of local goods.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on October 25, 2009, 11:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2009, 03:01 PM NHFT

What Bill was saying is that there are always costs beyond what the price register says. Those costs include things like the taxes we pay to build and maintain the roads the trucks use to transport non-local products long distances, and are part of the "true price" we pay for those items. (Don't forget price supports for farmers!)

Those things are "external" to the price we see at the register, but we still pay them.

There are external costs to local goods, [tu], but they are usually lower. I say "usually", because things like government restrictions or favoritism in the use of land, special tax breaks, etc., can also add to the cost of local goods.

Oh wow, I would've never figured all of that out!  Thanks KB!  :D

Raineyrocks

I stinking give up trying to eat raw!  :angry4:

I tried making some recipes that used to come out pretty good when I made them years ago but nope, not now! :puke:  I un freaking cooked for hours the other day and everything I made taste horrible!

I guess I'm just a lousy uncook and cook.   In fact, I'm ready to just eat frozen, pre-packaged food from now on and I'll just keep gaining weight and getting unhealthier.

The kids hate my cooking, they hate my raw more and I can't say that I blame them because so do I.  Rick says my food tastes good but he usually has motives for his compliments and how come he's the only one that likes what I make? :-\

If I could stop picturing cute cows and chickens, I'd start eating meat again and go on The Atkin's Diet.
I wish I could afford a housekeeper and a personal chef, that would rock! 

MTPorcupine3

Funny you should mention that. I just had a marvelous meal: local grown apple, and then diced avocado with home made pickles. If I had the discipline, that's how I'd eat all the time.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on November 10, 2009, 10:47 AM NHFT
Funny you should mention that. I just had a marvelous meal: local grown apple, and then diced avocado with home made pickles. If I had the discipline, that's how I'd eat all the time.

Well that's good!  :)   I wonder sometimes if I have any discipline whatsoever, I'm going through a "disgusted with myself", phase in my life right now.   I have no motivation, don't do anything productive, blah, blah.  :(

Pat K

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on November 11, 2009, 01:23 AM NHFT

I had a dozen raw oysters on my honeymoon, but I had to ask for part of my money back. Only ten of 'em worked.

Pat K

Quote from: KBCraig on November 11, 2009, 08:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on November 11, 2009, 01:23 AM NHFT

I had a dozen raw oysters on my honeymoon, but I had to ask for part of my money back. Only ten of 'em worked.

I new you would post something about this. :D

MTPorcupine3

There was some discussion on this thread about organic vs. non-organic, so I'd like to offer some perspective as one who has visited dozens of farms and worked on about 20.

Many farms are all natural, 'organic' by definition, but do not bother with organic certification. Several of the farms I worked on had been certified but discontinued, and others were certified organic when I was there but have since discontinued.

Case in point: The first farm I worked on as a WWOOFer was in Malibu, California. Allen was a second generation farmer. He claims his farm is the oldest continuously 'organic' farm in California. A couple of years before my two visits (2003-2004), he decided to 'get with it' and get certified organic. He regretted it and discontinued after a year or two.

Here's why: He had to pay $800 per year just to get certified. He had to take time out of his busy schedule to have bureaucrats come onto his property and stick a microscope up his ass to check every little thing out. Then he had to spend a lot more time throughout the year doing meticulous paperwork to record everything, down to where each seed came from. When you pay extra for organic, this is what you're paying for.

He soon realised that he didn't need to pay bureaucrats to come onto his property and tell him what he and his many loyal customers in the community already knew. His farm was open to the community, not only for customers, but for school tours, workers (regular and itinerant) and so on. He realised that building and maintaining trusting relationships was far more important than government certification and licensure.

I've also learnt that many farms that are certified organic are downwind or downstream from conventional farms that do heavy spraying and such. Not only that, but the FDA has expanded the criteria for 'organic' certification to the point of rendering it more or less useless as a guidelineā€”even to the greenest of greenies.

I prefer food that is natural, mineral rich, fresh, and locally grown. I take the label 'organic' with a grain of salt, paying more attention to where food comes from than any government stamp of approval.

Lloyd Danforth

He's telling the truth!  Sometimes I can't hear myself chew my mushy meat in delicious sauce meals that I make, with all the noise.

Pat K

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 12, 2009, 08:27 AM NHFT
He's telling the truth!  Sometimes I can't hear myself chew my mushy meat in delicious sauce meals that I make, with all the noise.

O-K that was my late night early morning chuckle.