• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Pittsfield

Started by Discipula, October 20, 2009, 06:47 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Discipula

Considering the Pittsfield area as a possible place to move. I read that there is a large welfare population and that the property taxes are high. Also read that they implemented a curfew to combat teen vandals. I'd be looking more into the rural areas rather than the town itself, but I'm concerned about moving into what sounds like a white-trash zone. I have a small daughter and I need someplace safe. How are the schools? We homeschool, but I don't want the kids she associates with to be uneducated little monsters.
How is the town itself? Is it safe at night? Are the roads safe for bicycles (my main mode of transport)?
Thanks to anyone who can offer answers.  ;D

MaineShark

Northwood is adjacent, and a much better town, particularly for children.

Joe

Discipula

Thanks...though I was looking at Pittsfield mainly because we found a house and property that is almost exactly what we're looking for, and there doesn't seem to be anything similar in Northwood. Though I will keep an eye on Northwood in case anything pops up there. It's got the proximity to Concord, which is important as my husband's company has a location there and I really don't want him to have a long commute or have to start new someplace else. Moving out of state is hard enough!

I'm really hoping that some exceedingly nice person here lives in Pittsfield and can take a gander at the property we're looking at (nobody lives there right now, I don't think). There are a few features on the aerial view that I can't make any sense of.

cathleeninnh

I live in another adjacent town, Barnstead. Pittsfield taxes are higher than Barnstead. I think it is a pretty little town. I can't comment on the welfare issue. I do remember reading in the local paper that they were requesting more applicants for the town welfare. It sounded like all you had to prove was that your bills were more than your income and they would put you on the rolls. Sounded crazy to me. Surely there is more to it than that.

I think the taxes are too high to live there.

Cathleen

Fluff and Stuff

According to city-data, in 2000, the average property taxes paid were lower in Pittsfield, a little higher in Barnstead and even higher in Northwood.  However, the actual rates were the reverse of that.  Of course, that was 2000 and it's now 2009.  A couple of the previous posters actually live in the towns they are talking about.  City-data is still the most useful site for info, though.
http://www.city-data.com/

MaineShark

Quote from: Discipula on October 20, 2009, 06:26 PM NHFTThanks...though I was looking at Pittsfield mainly because we found a house and property that is almost exactly what we're looking for, and there doesn't seem to be anything similar in Northwood. Though I will keep an eye on Northwood in case anything pops up there. It's got the proximity to Concord, which is important as my husband's company has a location there and I really don't want him to have a long commute or have to start new someplace else. Moving out of state is hard enough!

I'm really hoping that some exceedingly nice person here lives in Pittsfield and can take a gander at the property we're looking at (nobody lives there right now, I don't think). There are a few features on the aerial view that I can't make any sense of.

I'd be happy to take a look at it.

There are a number of for-sale-by-owner properties, as well, which won't show up on the MLS listings.  So if you give folks an idea of what you're looking for, we can be on the lookout for properties that seem like they might match.

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on October 20, 2009, 06:45 PM NHFTAccording to city-data, in 2000, the average property taxes paid were lower in Pittsfield, a little higher in Barnstead and even higher in Northwood.  However, the actual rates were the reverse of that.  Of course, that was 2000 and it's now 2009.  A couple of the previous posters actually live in the towns they are talking about.  City-data is still the most useful site for info, though.

House values are dramatically different.  Not for similar houses, but the types of houses in each town are quite different.  There are quite a number of high-value, lake-front vacation homes in Northwood, for example, which skew the averages of the property values.  Pittsfield has a lot of low-value properties that skew the averages lower.  So the average dollar value paid is lower, there.

If you compare homes of similar value in each town, the lower rate here in Northwood means you will pay less in property taxes.

Joe

Discipula

Thanks! The house in question is this, http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/96-Ingalls-Rd_Pittsfield_NH_03263_1111000495?mp=1
It meets almost all our requirements, otherwise I wouldnt be considering a house with such high property taxes. The fact that it was recently reduced by about 20k is the only reason it's even possible. Finding something with a 3+ bedroom house that isn't falling apart, a property big enough for small-scale food production, without close neighbors yet close to town and not in the middle of nowhere...it's very hard to find in the very low $100,000 range.
Thanks for your help. I'd be really interested to know what the strange circular object is in the aerial views. My husband (NJLiberty, if you know him) wants to know if the road it's on is paved or gravel. do they really have gravel roads in NH? XD
Like I said, I don't THINK anyone lives there. If you were to take a few pics we'd be really grateful and would totally owe you one ^^ <3

MaineShark

Quote from: Discipula on October 21, 2009, 01:41 AM NHFTThanks! The house in question is this, http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/96-Ingalls-Rd_Pittsfield_NH_03263_1111000495?mp=1
Thanks for your help. I'd be really interested to know what the strange circular object is in the aerial views.

I can't see what you mean on the aerial views I looked at, but I'll swing by sometime today or tomorrow and give it a look.  My guess would be an above-ground pool, if there's a strange circular object, just off the top of my head (and if the picture was taken at some time in the past, and then the pool was removed, it wouldn't be mentioned on the listing).

Quote from: Discipula on October 21, 2009, 01:41 AM NHFTIt meets almost all our requirements, otherwise I wouldnt be considering a house with such high property taxes. The fact that it was recently reduced by about 20k is the only reason it's even possible. Finding something with a 3+ bedroom house that isn't falling apart, a property big enough for small-scale food production, without close neighbors yet close to town and not in the middle of nowhere...it's very hard to find in the very low $100,000 range.

The "without close neighbors" thing may be a limiting factor, if you want to be in the more-developed portion of the state.

For example, this seems to meet your other requirements, but it's right on the main road in town:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/52-1St-Nh-Turnpike-Aka-Route-4_Northwood_NH_03261_1111034069
Of course, with almost 8 acres, it might have enough space, behind the house.

Quote from: Discipula on October 21, 2009, 01:41 AM NHFTMy husband (NJLiberty, if you know him) wants to know if the road it's on is paved or gravel. do they really have gravel roads in NH? XD

Usually dirt, rather than gravel.  By the time you do gravel, you might as well just pave, given the expense of gravel.  Based upon the location and the color in the aerial pictures, I would guess that's a dirt road, but I'll check when I stop by.

Joe

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on October 20, 2009, 06:45 PM NHFT
According to city-data, in 2000, the average property taxes paid were lower in Pittsfield, a little higher in Barnstead and even higher in Northwood.  However, the actual rates were the reverse of that.  Of course, that was 2000 and it's now 2009.  A couple of the previous posters actually live in the towns they are talking about.  City-data is still the most useful site for info, though.

I prefer this for town info

http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm

MaineShark

Drove by the place in Pittsfield, yesterday.

Didn't see anything circular, so I'm assuming that my previous guess about an above-ground pool was right.

As far as the house, I'd have to strongly recommend that you pass on that one.  The only things you can easily check on from the outside are the siding and the roof, and both need immediate repair/replacement.  Unless the appearance is a clever ruse to throw off burglars, and the inside is plated in gold, I'd say that the place probably isn't even livable (ie, if the inside even vaguely approaches the disrepair of the outside).

Joe

Discipula

The roof thing we're aware of. Probably needs replacing, or at least reshingling. The interior (there are more pics on Beangroup) didn't look half bad. I'm assuming it's livable in that people have been living in it....I dunno. I guess more info is needed. Realtor sent all the info on it and it didn't mention anything really wrong with it except a leaky roof in the mudroom. New windows, new insulation...looked pretty decent.
The one you linked to is one we looked at a while ago. Asked the realtor for more info and he said it's basically falling completely apart  :o A new roof we could probably swing. We've got an adequate savings. But that one was beyond our abilities to salvage XD Helluva property, though.
Thanks a lot for the drive-by. George said you were a good guy ^^

MaineShark

Quote from: Discipula on October 22, 2009, 12:44 PM NHFTThe roof thing we're aware of. Probably needs replacing, or at least reshingling.

The roof is sagging in several places, so the structure below has failed, and will need substantial work.

Do-able, but not cheap.  We do have an excellent carpenter, who might be able to discuss that with you in greater detail.

Joe

Discipula

Sagging? That sure doesn't sound good!  ;D
Don't suppose it could just be due to them removing the chimney, which they apparently did, does it? XD
Thanks for the tip and the link. I'll still look into it to verify for myself...but I won't get my hopes up too high xp

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: cathleeninnh on October 22, 2009, 07:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on October 20, 2009, 06:45 PM NHFT

I prefer this for town info

http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm

But city-data has over 10x as much info.  Both the official government page with little info and the free website with 10x as much info are useful, though :)

MaineShark

Quote from: Discipula on October 22, 2009, 08:28 PM NHFTSagging? That sure doesn't sound good!  ;D
Don't suppose it could just be due to them removing the chimney, which they apparently did, does it? XD

Could be.

I'll also keep my eye out for any for-sale-by-owner properties around here.

Joe