• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

State orders Police to end gun checks, Monitor Article

Started by Giggan, October 19, 2009, 08:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Giggan

Pretty cool.

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091017/NEWS01/910170387/1001/NEWS01

Oct 17 2009

The New Hampshire Department of Safety has ordered law enforcement agencies to stop running background checks before returning confiscated firearms to their owners, saying it's a misuse of the system.

The New Hampshire Union Leader reports assistant commissioner Earl Sweeney sent a memo Sept. 28 to the police throughout the state. It reminded them that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System can be used only by federally licensed gun manufacturers, importers and dealers.

Sweeney said police checks before returning confiscated firearms exceeds the authority granted to the Safety Department by the Legislature.

The order is in response to a complaint filed with the state by Concord attorney Evan Nappen, who specializes in weapons law. He contacted the state after the Manchester police ran an NICS check on one of his clients.

MTPorcupine3

Pretty cool? That's the understatement of the year! This is friggin' awesome!

This order is a result of the courage of a Free Stater who happens to be my housemate. One person can make a difference. This case is the result of a Free Stater who refused to cave when the cops, who'd confiscated his firearm for no good reason (he was a 'passenger' in a traffic stop), said that he'd have to submit to a background check if he wanted it back.

TresJay

Quote from: Giggan on October 19, 2009, 08:25 PM NHFT
http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091017/NEWS01/910170387/1001/NEWS01

The order is in response to a complaint filed with the state by Concord attorney Evan Nappen, who specializes in weapons law. He contacted the state after the Manchester police ran an NICS check on one of his clients.

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on October 19, 2009, 09:27 PM NHFT
This order is a result of the courage of a Free Stater who happens to be my housemate.

Your housemate wasn't involved in Manchester, his was in Raymond / Candia.

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on October 19, 2009, 09:27 PM NHFT
One person can make a difference. This case is the result of a Free Stater who refused to cave when the cops, who'd confiscated his firearm for no good reason (he was a 'passenger' in a traffic stop), said that he'd have to submit to a background check if he wanted it back.

While your housemate will benefit from this order, he wasn't the cause.  The cause was a different Grafton Free Stater that made a difference when he refused to cave in to the cops.  While you got the person, the place, and the circumstances wrong, the rest of what you wrote is factual.

MTPorcupine3

neggy

I don't care which "free stater" it was, I thank all of you for standing up for my rights.

There is another forum I post on daily, where the Ridley and others are ridiculed for their open carrying of handguns to preserve all of our rights. It is my position that the Free State people are the biggest defenders of 2A rights in NH.

You and I may not see eye to eye on everything, but all of you are truly defenders of Liberty.

Thanks for your efforts one and all!