• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene, N.H offering a $1,000 for old woodstoves if you buy a new EPA woodstove

Started by thinkliberty, October 22, 2009, 03:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkliberty

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091022/GJLIFESTYLES/910229966/-1/CITNEWS

"Keene is getting rid of old woodstoves

Thursday, October 22, 2009
KEENE, N.H. (AP) — The city of Keene, N.H., is taking part in a woodstove changeout program, in which residents are being offered a $1,000 rebate to replace their old ones with new ones certified by the Environmental Protection Agency...."

Sovereign Curtis

A cash for clunkers plan for old woodstoves?!? Thats HORRIBLE! It would be a huge disservice to the community for these old woodstoves to be removed from the market.

Puke

How about the city stop taxing the shit out of all of us and then people could afford a new wood stove!

dalebert

Because then you wouldn't buy the "right" kind of woodstove, Puke! And Mark tells me it's a really crappy woodstove they're trying to make people buy.

Tom Sawyer

Sovereign Curtis

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 22, 2009, 07:28 PM NHFT
I like my big, illegal to sell now wood stove...  ;D

wut? its illegal to retail the type of stove you have? or its illegal to resell your used stove?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Sovereign Curtis on October 22, 2009, 07:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 22, 2009, 07:28 PM NHFT
I like my big, illegal to sell now wood stove...  ;D

wut? its illegal to retail the type of stove you have? or its illegal to resell your used stove?

illegal to retail new... most now are smaller and have catalytic converters. I was in a million dollar home and they had bought one of these used to install.

Puke

Catalytic converter?
I didn't now they put those on stoves. That must up the price a bit!

Russell Kanning

MaineShark

Quote from: Puke on October 23, 2009, 04:37 AM NHFTCatalytic converter?
I didn't now they put those on stoves. That must up the price a bit!

Not the same type as in a car, since it's catalyzing different gasses, so it's not quite as expensive as a vehicular unit.

However, unlike those in a car, these wear out regularly, so it's not just the initial expense; it's the ongoing replacement cost.  And, of course, many remove and just don't bother to replace them when they wear out which, because the stove was designed to operate with the catalytic element in place, decreases the efficiency and increases creosote production.  So now we have stoves that burn more wood, produce more smoke, and create greater risk of chimney fires.

Because, if something's not broke, you haven't involved the government enough!

Joe

Sovereign Curtis

BillKauffman

Puke

Jim Johnson

Buffum's Salvage on rt. 10.

That's where some the pretty Cash for Clunker cars went.