• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Jethro Tull is the greatest band of all-time

Started by Jacobus, October 23, 2009, 07:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobus

Jethro Tull is like if Robert Frost wrote lyrics for Beethoven.

They went through several musical phases, my two favorite being the progressive rock phase of the early seventies and the folk rock phase of the late seventies (which was followed by the crap rock phase of the 80s).  The culmination of their progressive-phase artistic expression was the masterpiece Thick as a Brick (a 45-minute song).  Their folk rock masterpiece is Heavy Horses, which I assert is the greatest album of all-time.  It also has the greatest song of all time (the title song).  Watch the cheeky fellows fake perform it here in poor audio quality:

Here's another ridiculously silly video for another song from the album:

Lloyd Danforth

I went to a JT concert in a city park in Hartford, CT about 1975.  They had closed circuit cameras and a large screen behind them.  The projected members of the band, mostly Ian Anderson, on the screen.  We had never seen a screen in a concert before.

Jacobus

I've been to two JT concerts in the past few years (both in CT).  With Ian's vocal capacity somewhat limited with his age, in the last concert they had a string quartet play alongside and re-arranged a lot of the songs to be less vocal and more orchestral.  I enjoyed hearing Aqualung with a major flute component inserted into it.

I guess in the 70s their concerts were a bit inspired by Monty Python.

liftsboxes

PattyLee loves dogs

Jt Great but Joni Mitchel rules as best: Hejira, Judgement of the Moon and stars, Woodstock,
Coyote, Amelia, etc, etc, Also Laura Nyro: Ive been on a Train, New york Tenderberry, StonedSoul Picnic, eMILY, ETC...  pl

PattyLee loves dogs

Also what about Tx Road House Blues guy Stevie Ray Vaughn?? Leave My Little Girl Alone...PL

Scott Roth