• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester PD encounter

Started by djbridgeland, November 12, 2009, 07:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

djbridgeland

Just thought I would post and bring attention to what appears might be a practice by Manchester PD.  So I was walking to work last night and was literally 3 buildings from work when an unmarked police car pulled into the closest parking lot and an office got out and asked if he could talk to me.  He asked for ID I said I didn't have one. He said that their have been lots of break in's in the area. I explained I was walking to work and pointed to where I work. He then asked for my name and other info. I asked is that necessary?  He said yes. I reluctantly provided all lawfully asked for information. He also asked for my address, I asked is that necessary?  I reluctantly provided it, just wanting to go as I was running late.  Anyways I don't think someone walking at 10:30 PM is reason to stop someone, or perhaps this was a "Papers please" stop. If so I am documenting this in case it happens to someone else.       

Sovereign Curtis

Next time pull out your cell phone, hold it in front of you and say "I am audio recording".

Enjoy never being hassled by the MPD ever again.

mackler

Where exactly did this happen?

Quote from: djbridgeland on November 12, 2009, 07:42 AM NHFT
Just thought I would post and bring attention to what appears might be a practice by Manchester PD.  So I was walking to work last night and was literally 3 buildings from work when an unmarked police car pulled into the closest parking lot and an office got out and asked if he could talk to me.  He asked for ID I said I didn't have one. He said that their have been lots of break in's in the area. I explained I was walking to work and pointed to where I work. He then asked for my name and other info. I asked is that necessary?  He said yes. I reluctantly provided all lawfully asked for information. He also asked for my address, I asked is that necessary?  I reluctantly provided it, just wanting to go as I was running late.  Anyways I don't think someone walking at 10:30 PM is reason to stop someone, or perhaps this was a "Papers please" stop. If so I am documenting this in case it happens to someone else.     

djbridgeland

Unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me otherwise I would have called porc 411.  Happened just south of UNH Manchester on Commercial St IE about 400 Commercial St.   

KBCraig

This was what is known as a "consensual encounter" in cop-speak. Meaning, he had no legal justification to detain you, so he will claim you weren't detained and were free to leave at any time.

Remember the magic words: "Am I being detained?" If the answer is no, leave. They will seldom answer directly, so if they answer anything other than "yes", leave.

Russell Kanning

that stinks
it would be very powerful if you said "no" and kept walking

mackler

Quote from: KBCraig on November 12, 2009, 05:03 PM NHFT
Remember the magic words: "Am I being detained?" If the answer is no, leave. They will seldom answer directly, so if they answer anything other than "yes", leave.
And if they answer "yes," remember that anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, and consider whether you want to assert your right to remain silent.

PattyLee loves dogs

Conditioning, so we accept thug cops :lockstep:

highline

Quote from: djbridgeland on November 12, 2009, 02:17 PM NHFT
Unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me otherwise I would have called porc 411.  Happened just south of UNH Manchester on Commercial St IE about 400 Commercial St.   

In this situation you had absolutely no legal obligation to identify yourself.