• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

I have a Rhododendron with lavender flowers that I would love to find a good home for.  It is in a small bed on the side of my house and it really need a better home so I can plant cooking herbs in that bed.

Lloyd Danforth

If it is flowering now, it might be a  a PJM  Rhododendron. There is probably a good time and a good method of digging it up. Needless to say, you have to get as much of the roots as possible.

porcupine kate

Moving it will have to wait till next spring.  It should be pretty straight forward  to get the roots since it is crammed in a 3' x 2' planting box.  I don't think the soil is much deeper than a foot.

Russell Kanning

if no one nearer wants the bush, we can always use one more here
we are starting a row that has lilacs separated by random bushes
i have been putting rhododendrons in some shade though

MaineShark

Quote from: porcupine kate on May 18, 2010, 11:13 PM NHFTI have a Rhododendron with lavender flowers that I would love to find a good home for.  It is in a small bed on the side of my house and it really need a better home so I can plant cooking herbs in that bed.

I created a plant swap list.  Figured that might help to organize such things.

Joe

Raineyrocks

Quote from: porcupine kate on May 18, 2010, 02:59 PM NHFT
Raineyrocks. 
I would just go and buy started tomato plants at this point.

Yup, I think so too.  :D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: AntonLee on May 18, 2010, 03:57 PM NHFT
I agree Rainey, I think you said you got the topsy turvy thing.  I wouldn't even bother trying to sow those seeds that came with it right now.  The ones I got looked pretty bad in my package.  I went and got a cherry tomato plant for the top of my topsy turvy and on the bottom I got a best boy.  This is my first year doing gardening at my own place, so it's tryout time for everything and I'm no expert.

I got some bloom coming to my rhododenrons.  A couple beautiful pink/purple have come through.  I can't wait for them to all bloom so I can move them later on this summer!  I'll post pics, since we have 10! rhododendrons from the previous owner.

Nope, I didn't get the topsy turvy because Lil' Ricky said they suck and I was waiting to see how your topsy turvy did.  :D   Your idea is neat though about getting plants for the topsy turvy instead of using their seeds.  Will you let me know how that works?  :)

AntonLee

so far so good!  both sides get nice sun and there's lots of room for root growth.  I'll keep ya posted  ;)

TOMATO WATCH dum dum dum

Raineyrocks

Quote from: AntonLee on May 21, 2010, 05:02 PM NHFT
so far so good!  both sides get nice sun and there's lots of room for root growth.  I'll keep ya posted  ;)

TOMATO WATCH dum dum dum

Good I'm glad it's working out, thanks! :D

jerry

I got the peach trees in the ground today.
Planted them just downhill from the apple and pear trees.

That's a blueberry bush in the center and the grapes are on the left.
The large pine in the left background is next year's firewood.

porcupine kate

Jerry I love the trees.

I have all the flowers and seedlings in.  Now I just need to receive the blueberry bushes. 
I've got the spots ready in the back yard.  I just need to move a few plants in the side bed and get that ready.

After that I need to take down a couple ugly pine trees, trim a lilac and plant some more in the front yard.
Lilac, azalea, and Hydrangea.  I know it is a little late for them but I am being gifted them so in they go.
I've also started some late herbs for the side bed and for containers.

I need to finish hooking up the hoses for the irrigation in the back yard.  everything is laid out.  I just need to hook it up and rearrange the hoses so I can still water the deck plants.  The Mylar still needs to go up in the "dark" corner of my garden.   It will be interesting to see how that does.  Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow morning.

Russell Kanning

i think most stuph is out of the greenhouse that was waiting for frost free nights

we are happy that the greenhouse doesn't overheat too bad on these 94 degree days

porcupine kate

Russel
Are you going to grow some hot weather stuff in over the summer in the green house? 

Russell Kanning

cat has the tomatoes and peppers in there

anything that she grew in Texas seems like it needs the greenhouse :)

porcupine kate

I know it is early in the season but my tomatoes in the containers are a third larger than the ones I planted in the bed.
I planted half of each variety in contains and half in the beds.  The deck is gong to feel very crowded in a few weeks.   :butterfly:

My earliest lettuce has been harvested.  I cut the heads off so hopefully they will regrow.
I need to check my nitrogen levels in the beds.  My radishes either have too little sun light or too much nitrogen.  I have beautiful greens and no radish.  Since I have a lot of composted horse poop in my beds and partial shade it could be either one. Either way I am not planting anymore. 

My blueberries are in.  I have two in full sun and 2 in partial shade.  Both high bush so they will be nice looking shrubs too.
I will be planting some short creeping thyme and roman Chamomile as ground cover in the back yard.  They will be starting from seed.  I hope it isn't too late to get them started.

Alec is taking out a pine tree today!   So I will be planting an azalea that I was giving.    Eventually I will get rid of the other ugly over grown pine tree and plant a Hydrangea and another lilac in the front of the house.