• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Kat Kanning

porcupine kate

You can eat the greens?  Well that will solve my problem.

MaineShark

Yup.  They're quite tasty.  One of the few green things I will eat directly.  (usually, I insist that greens be converted into meat before I eat them)

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: MaineShark on May 29, 2010, 07:38 PM NHFT
Yup.  They're quite tasty.  One of the few green things I will eat directly.  (usually, I insist that greens be converted into meat before I eat them)

While I'm with you on the conversion process, I love raw mustard greens, radish greens, onion tops, etc. Not to mention lettuce and raw cabbage.

Or, you can combine the two: "wilted lettuce" is Sothren parlance for various fresh loose garden greens (lettuce, mustard, what-have-you) doused with a panful of hot bacon grease, and the crumbled-up bacon.

Nummy!

Lloyd Danforth

AntonLee

got my raised bed in finally.  Planted 3 Green pepper, 3 cukes, 2 yellow pepper and a jalapeno (far away).   Got two tomato buckets going now as well as my topsy turvey.  Hope I get enough to share because my neighbor handed me two freshly frozen fish he got from the river and I need to hit him back.

Russell Kanning

porcupine kate

I live in the heart of Manchvegas and I have been planting various things in my tiny garden since mid April.
This past weekend I went to visit friends in Andover and at the Bardo Farm.
I know they are later in the season and have more frost issues but I was still surprised at the difference between the gardens in my neighborhood and the two I saw over the weekend.  It is even more striking to the neighbors gardens that have full sun here in Manchvegas.  So many of the seedlings were smaller and many things were just sprouting that are 6" to a foot tall in my garden.
I do still need to come up and see the Hoyt farm. 

AntonLee

ladies and gentlemen.  I see blueberries.  I see them.  My mouth is frothing.  My girlfriend thinks that I will turn into a big blue version of the hulk when I eat them.

I want to build a railroad station on the Winnepesaukee/North Conway railways.  Blueberry Junction.  A big blue railroad station with blueberry bushes all along the tracks...

and then I woke up.  But it was ok.  Because I see blueberries.

Lloyd Danforth

I've been to Cherryfield, Maine.  They claim to be Blueberry Capital of the World!

Kat Kanning

Quote from: porcupine kate on June 01, 2010, 05:28 PM NHFT
I live in the heart of Manchvegas and I have been planting various things in my tiny garden since mid April.
This past weekend I went to visit friends in Andover and at the Bardo Farm.
I know they are later in the season and have more frost issues but I was still surprised at the difference between the gardens in my neighborhood and the two I saw over the weekend.  It is even more striking to the neighbors gardens that have full sun here in Manchvegas.  So many of the seedlings were smaller and many things were just sprouting that are 6" to a foot tall in my garden.
I do still need to come up and see the Hoyt farm.

You're certainly welcome anytime.  :D

Russell Kanning

Anton ... i was picturing you as the kid in charlie and the chocolate factory

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 01, 2010, 07:16 PM NHFT
I've been to Cherryfield, Maine.  They claim to be Blueberry Capital of the World!

Wow, I'd think their name would be Blueberry, Maine not Cherryfield, Maine.   :D   

Russell Kanning

this weather is great for our greens .... not for all the grass i have to mow