• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

jerry

Quote from: Pat K on March 05, 2010, 12:04 AM NHFT
I have been trying to get a damn Steak tree to grow for
years now with little success.

Tom and I planted 5 BEER plants today!

Lloyd Danforth

How exactly does that work(qm)
Do you dig up long necks when they are ripe or just pick them like corn(qm)

porcupine kate

[/quote]

Hopps?   They are very cool looking vines. 

porcupine kate

I have found the biggest threat to my garden plans is Chantal. ::)
My cat thinks my seedlings are her personal salad bar.   
She almost wiped out all of the broccoli.  She tried taking out the kale too.

Kat Kanning

Cats ate the catnip seedlings.  ::)   

I'm just about to start harvesting spinach and the lamb's quarters that came up with it.  The grow boxes are working great!

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

porcupine kate

I tried cat nip last year and I had every cat on the block in my backyard howling for two days till they devoured it all.  I didn't even try to plant it this year.

I was very happy to see my lettuce seedlings didn't die with the light snow last Friday.  The romaine lettuce and the radishes have sprouted.  I should see the spinach, peas and beets soon.

I just received my onion sets and garlic.  I know garlic should be planted in the fall but I am trying it anyway.  I found a variety that should do well being planted in the spring.  I planted it this afternoon along with the first batch of carrots.   

Tomorrow I will plant the raised bed that I put the row covers on.  I made the bed into a little hoop house out of pex tubing and clear plastic sheeting.  I have been warming up the soil and I am going to attempt to plant the bed a month early and see what happens.  I will have to open it up during the day since the temperatures have been over 90 degrees during the day.  I bought a soil tester to help monitor the soil moisture.   I love the raised beds.  This year is so much less work than last year.

I want to plant the broccoli and kale.  I need to wait till they get a few more leaves since the cat ate them.   I just hope we don't get solid rain till July this year.  Last year was awful.  I didn't even get a single zucchini from the garden.
Kate

porcupine kate

Kat Kanning

It's just awesome what Russell did.  The rock and log-end walls really do hold the heat in.  Even though it's freezing outside at night, the greenhouse hasn't fallen below 40 degrees in ... I don't know... maybe a month and a half?  All my plants are doing great in there.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: jerry on April 14, 2010, 07:29 PM NHFT

All 3 of mine have sprouted!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 22, 2010, 04:56 AM NHFT
Quote from: jerry on April 14, 2010, 07:29 PM NHFT

All 3 of mine have sprouted!

We'd like to get some hop vines any extras to share?

jerry