• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

Pat I love the square foot gardening book. 
I will be using it and the Vegetable Gardeners Bible  for my garden this year.
I only have raised beds so I want to maximize my yield.  ;D

Yes the grounds are acidic.
Some of my friends plants needed that.
The rest he balanced the PH in the compost pile with lime.
Starbucks was were he got most of the coffee grounds. 

Kat Kanning

George Donnelly

Kate, or anyone, roughly when does one start planting the seeds inside, in the trays, ie start growing them for later transplant to the outside garden? Thanks!

Kat Kanning

MTPorcupine3

2010 Jan 26 Steve Whitman Intro to Permaculture, Keene Public Library 6:30-8pm FREE

porcupine kate

Quote from: George Donnelly on January 17, 2010, 12:56 PM NHFT
Kate, or anyone, roughly when does one start planting the seeds inside, in the trays, ie start growing them for later transplant to the outside garden? Thanks!

The seed packets tell you when to start the seeds for example we had the kids at Scholars academy pant some seeds this week that need to be started 8 to 10 weeks before the last frost.   They should be ready mid April which is still to early to plant them here in Manchester.  I figure we will be starting seeds every two weeks at the school so the kids can see how they progress and then sell them as a fund raiser.   I will be starting mine for the garden around March like Kat.

Kate

porcupine kate

I started a bunch of seedings this weekend.  I know it is still on the early side.  I started all  the stuff that needs 8 to 12 weeks before last frost.  Peppers, Leeks, Green Onions, Chives, Broccoli, Alpine Strawberries, some Tomatoes and some cooking herbs.  I also started some of the lettuce to try and do succession planting this year.

I want to make a cold frame out of one or more of My raised beds with 1/2" bendable PVC pipe and clear plastic sheeting.  Here in Manchester last frost is usually by May 15th.  I am planning on starting planting  at the end of march.  I have a big tree that causes partial shade in the summer so I want to see how early I can get a way with planting before those leaves fill in.  In the fall I need to have someone come and trim the tree back.  Unfortunately There are buildings and power lines in the way so it will be a tough job. 

I have some tulip, daffodil and crocus bulbs that need to get planted as soon as the ground isn't frozen. (I have extra if anyone wants some)  I also have garlic and onion sets on the way.  I know garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall around here so I found a soft necked variety that should do very well planted in early spring.

I need to find a place with organic compost around Manchester.  I need 2 yards for all my beds.   
I have 2 compost bins but I don't have any grass clippings to ad to it.
The leaves take for forever to break down.  I need to find straw.  That will help the compost bins and be great mulch.
I waited too long to buy it in the fall and couldn't find it anywhere.

I still need to test my soil, get a soil thermometer, and maybe a moister tester.  I need to be much better about watering than last year.  First it got way to much rain than I under watered it.  I did pick up a rain gauge. 

I also need to decide when to take out the two ugly pine trees in the front of the house. 
One of the is getting too big.  Come to think out it there are several ugly shrubs that need to go.
Hmmmm.  If I take out the two shrubs in the back yard I could either plant a couple of berry bushes or have a couple of potato towers.   Space is at a premium in my yard since it is only 20' x 22' and I have 3 12 feet by 4 feet raised beds in it already!

As I learn more each year I hope to be able to grow a surprising amount of veggies in my little garden.

One day I will have a larger property with a nice big garden.

Kate

George Donnelly

A rain gauge. I had no idea there was such a thing. Thanks for these posts, Kate. I really enjoy them.

Russell Kanning

maybe you can add cardboard instead of grass clippings
our worms like them in our compost bin

we could trade you extra bulbs for extra seeds or some produce during harvest time

since your place is really small, maybe you could help in a bigger garden nearby and share the fruits

porcupine kate

I would love to give you some bulbs. 
What kind of cool seeds doe you have for this year?  I have extra too so we could trade some of them too.
I need to figure out how to get them to you.  Is there anytime you are heading south? 

Russell Kanning

it is too late to head south for the winter, but not too late to visit for a day

porcupine kate

Sorry I didn't mean to imply you needed to leave the shire.
I must admit going to the tropics in January was nice.

Alec and I would love to have you over.
I sent you a message about it.

AntonLee

anyone ever order plants from places like Gurney's Nursery?   http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=80888&bhcd2=1267545993

I saw an ad in the paper and thought they might be good for my yard, some blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries.  I just don't know what quality they are, just curious if anyone has used them or can suggest a nursery that's even better.  I bought two blueberry seedlings last year and they barely grew at all (from Home Depot).

Scott Roth

Already started my first seedlings and getting ready to build the boxes for my raised bed garden.  2 or 3 for the regular veggies and 1 for the herbs.  Can't wait... :D

Kat Kanning

Hey scott :)  How did your gogi berries turn out last year?  I've tried to start some this year.  Very curious to see what happens with them  :o