• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

Quote from: AntonLee on March 02, 2010, 10:11 AM NHFT
anyone ever order plants from places like Gurney's Nursery?   http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=80888&bhcd2=1267545993

I saw an ad in the paper and thought they might be good for my yard, some blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries.  I just don't know what quality they are, just curious if anyone has used them or can suggest a nursery that's even better.  I bought two blueberry seedlings last year and they barely grew at all (from Home Depot).

Most of my friends who planted blueberries had to wait a few years before their blueberries produced well.
I would also recommend getting the soil tested to see if it is what your blueberries need.
You can't go wrong adding compost to your soil.  It helps everything.

Kate

Russell Kanning

Quote from: AntonLee on March 02, 2010, 10:11 AM NHFTtwo blueberry seedlings last year and they barely grew at all (from Home Depot).
hey ... growing at all is better than dying
do you guys have lots of trees especially pine dropping stuph on your yard? then blueberries will be happy. You could put pine needles on top to keep down weeds, keep moisture, and assure the acid it likes. It worked for us in Keene.
For things like berries, maybe you can buy them from someplace close that lets you pick them. You can also pick up wild raspberries and blackberries from our place. They were growing in 2 inches of soil (probably tree droppings) on top of old cement by our greenhouse construction site. I bet they would grow anywhere. :)

We moved our first plants out into the greenhouse yesterday. I will have to bring them into the basement if it gets below 20 at night though.

Scott Roth

They blossomed real well and I got a couple of berries.  I trimmed them back and have read up more on them.  I expect to get quite a bit this year.  I will definitely keep everyone posted. 8)

Scott Roth

I'll also be doing Sqauare Foot Gardening in my raised bed containers.  It will make it easier to keep up with, and I won't have to kneel on the ground to keep up with the garden.

porcupine kate

I made my beds with 2 x 12 boards.  It is much easier on the knees. 
I will also be doing container gardening on the back deck.   The deck will have the peppers this year.   
I was thinking of putting a few containers by the garage and planting them with morning glories so they cover the ugly fencing.

AntonLee

I have nothing but pine trees in the yard.  Thanks for the suggestions Kate and Russell!  I shall share in my bounty at some point.

Russell Kanning

Pat K

I have been trying to get a damn Steak tree to grow for
years now with little success.

Kat Kanning

Bacon tree, very pretty
and the bacon flower is sweet
but the fruit of the poor bacon
is impossible to eat!

Lloyd Danforth

Porcupine Gardener's Creed:

'hey ... growing at all is better than dying'

AntonLee

that is a good creed.  I will have to fight the birds for the blueberries I planted in Massachusetts last year.  I might just cut my losses.  I wonder if my park will allow me to forget growing grass and replace it all with berries and veggies =O)

Russell Kanning

maybe .... i have seen people with small yards that are all cultivated with flowers and edibles, you could have paths between them

or you could be like patk and have an animal grazing until fall and steak time

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: AntonLee on March 05, 2010, 06:57 AM NHFT
that is a good creed.  I will have to fight the birds for the blueberries I planted in Massachusetts last year.  I might just cut my losses.  I wonder if my park will allow me to forget growing grass and replace it all with berries and veggies =O)

Grow in containers. :)

Luck

* I think it's a good idea to grow Kieffer pear trees, because the fruit is prolific and bugs almost never bother them, so they don't need to be protected from bugs. They're good for fruit dishes and making vinegar etc. You can get them wholesale from Stark Bros nursery. A few days ago they still had 27 left. Their minimum order is 30 trees, so the rest would be another kind of tree. Fifteen of the Kieffers are 1/4" caliper which are $ 6.00. The other 12 are 3/8" caliper which would be $ 9.70 each.  Shipping would be under $50.
* If you want them, they need to be ordered right away for early spring planting. Otherwise they're also planted in the fall. I'd be willing to chip in to help buy them, because I'd like to see NH folks grow them. They grow in zones 4-9 and that includes all of NH.
* Get more info from info@starkbros.com, 800-435-8733, or 888-485-3220.

porcupine kate

Anton
To protect your blueberries from birds and deer use netting.  They make netting just for this purpose.  I know a family that uses them and it is the only way they get to eat any of their blueberries.  You can find them at most nurseries and Agway stores.

I will be making cages out of chicken wire to protect my strawberries from being a backyard buffet for the critters.
Luckily I don't have to worry about deer where I live.

Luck
I would love to have fruit trees.  My yard is too tiny for them.   

In NH the only person I knew with pear trees discovered that moose really enjoy them.
She would have moose in the yard several times a week.  The trees were between the drive way and the front door.  It made for some interesting moments.
Also one dear would take a bite or two of one and leave it on the front porch every morning.