• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

I bought a better version (I think) it doesn't look like paper with a hole in the bottom, it's a plastic bowl with a hole in the bottom =O)

I bought it at the Wal-Mart for $7.  The Topsy Turvey things are like $10.  The Wal-Mart version can grow tomatoes in the top, and coming out of the bottom.

I'll have to let you know.  I'm going to set up buckets as well to see if I get anything better there.  I just hate having buckets in the yard.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 23, 2010, 05:28 AM NHFT
Is that the best you can do:qm:

At least she didn't say you were "like a Rhizome Cowboy" in her best Glen Campbell voice.  :P

Pat K

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 27, 2010, 07:48 AM NHFT
No. When they see the tomatoes on the porch, they will realize people live in the house and go in and eat them.

Spit snapple all over.

jerry

The beer plants got snowed on last night, but the cold temperatures allowed me one last chance to cut back the grape vines.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

That's just 'Crime Scene' tape left over from my Home Improvement business.

porcupine kate

>:(

I discovered a nice blight on my tomatoes and Peppers today.  I started them way too early and I started putting them outside to toughen them up and the in the last to days the spots started.  All in the trash they went.   Luckily I will be going to the plant sale at the high school in Hudson next week.
There will be quite a bit of hot water and bleach in my world this weekend.

porcupine kate

This thread is turning into my gardening journal or at least part of it.  I wish I had a bigger yard.

So I purchased new tomatoes and Peppers.  Half of them will be planted in the garden bed and half in containers.  I have about a dozen tall heavy weight florist buckets that I will drill holes in and use for these plants.  They are nice since they are about as tall as a 5 gallon bucket but prettier and they are left over from the wedding.   I have other pots I will fill with plants.  I am running out of yard.

I put the soaker hoses on the raised beds today.  What a pain in the but.  Next year I have to remember to put them in before I plant.  I broke a bunch of onion leaves.  They will be cooked in tonight's dinner.  I also need longer garden staples to hold them down.  The ones I got at Walmart are too short and didn't work well.

I still need to remove the cramped Rhododendron from the planter next to the side porch.  Anyone want it?   I am going to put an herb garden in the 3' x 2' bed.  I also need to plant the strawberries in the other planter.  They will have to be caged the entire summer if I want to eat any strawberries. 

I also have some space in front of the Rhubarb.  It was planted last year and it is still pretty small.   When we can reside the house both of the front beds are going to get an overhaul.  I want lilacs and Hydrangeas where the two ugly pine trees are.  They are getting too big to be so close to the house so they have to go.

I am still debating on when to plant the tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and flowers.  I am still afraid of a frost.  I can still cover everything up until I put the rest of the trellises up. 

I am also putting Mylar on the wooden privacy fencing in around the garden to see if it increases the light in my partial shade garden.  I get 4 to 6 hours of light due to buildings and trees.  I will let you know how silly it looks and if it does any good.

Pat K

Russell Kanning

blueberry planted a few days ago
azalea too

waiting for it to stop freezing for a bunch of other stuph

the greenhouse is awesome

porcupine kate

Is it too late to plant blueberry bushes????   
I think I can fit a couple in the back yard. 

MaineShark

Quote from: porcupine kate on May 14, 2010, 07:57 AM NHFTIs it too late to plant blueberry bushes????   
I think I can fit a couple in the back yard.

If you're planting established bushes, it's nowhere near as date-sensitive as planting seeds or even established annuals.

Make sure the ones you get are hardy in this climate.  A lot of the big stores sell bushes that are shipped in from southern climes, so even if the species is cold-tolerant, that particular variety may not be.

Joe

porcupine kate

I ordered Blueberry plants.  ;D
I have 2 high bush varieties good in "zone" 4 and 5. 
I looked a the low bush and decided I needed something taller so they would get more sun.

Alec is excited.  He went and ripped out the ugly struggling shrubs for me. 
Now I have to get the soil ready before they arrive.

I really need more yard.

Kate

MaineShark

We have some of the "need more yard" folks sharing ours, this year.  Which means we have a much larger garden than we've had in the past.  Should be interesting, if we can keep the groundhog and the deer from decimating it.

Joe

AntonLee

I hear that, my trailer is surrounded by pine trees, very large ones that are owned by the park.  I've been trying to grow my blueberry bushes in my yard but I get really crappy amounts of sunshine.  Gurney's told me it was perfectly fine to plant in half whisky barrels.  I've been told since that if they're not in the ground they'll freeze through in the winter. 

The three I bought from them were turning red.  I got worried and started moving the buckets around.  I couldn't seem to get a good 6 hours of light in any spot except near an old oak tree.  I bought two additional matures and after some hacking away some roots, digging out the rocks they call fill. . . they're in the ground and I hope they do well. 

I've read that preparing the soil should include acidic materials, highly organic.  Peat Moss (sphag), pine needles help.  Good fresh horse manure at the base I'm told really helps them bloom.