• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

Joe good luck with the larger garden. 
How big are you making it and how many people are working on it?
What goodies are you planting?

porcupine kate

Anton
Gurney's has a dwarf low bush Blueberry that will survive down to -45 degrees.  The recommend it for containers.
http://gurneys.com/dwarf-northsky-blueberry/p/68071/

MaineShark

Quote from: porcupine kate on May 15, 2010, 05:09 PM NHFTJoe good luck with the larger garden. 
How big are you making it and how many people are working on it?
What goodies are you planting?

It's a bit over 30x40, and we have two other families helping with it.

The list of plants is quite extensive, and Denise is in charge of that.  I just dig holes and put in fencing, and such.  I think I'm going to install a couple tall posts so we can put sprinklers on top of them, which will increase the range of the sprinklers and let them get the whole area without drenching the nearer plants.

Joe

MaineShark

Russell Kanning

i would think that blueberries do better in the ground where it is wet and acidic, but i guess you could make it work.
we planted one in the summer, but then we had to baby it.
I figure using pine needles as mulch will help them out. The one we just planted has pine bark and such around it and tons of mulch and getting water every day it doesn't rain. :)
We have low wild bushes growing on the edge of our swamp in the woods, so I know those kind don't need much sun. If you want to come grab a bush and try it in your woods Anton, maybe it will work. They look great and get a few berries on them.

Anyone that wants to plant a garden at our place can. If you start a new plot, the soil would be lousy, but you could build it up or build on top like Kate was planning.
If you can't tend your own garden here, then you could help with planting, weeding, harvesting in our garden and get a share in the harvest. For anyone that lives close or wants to visit a few times this summer, this might be a good opportunity to learn a little more about gardening, get some sun, and eat a few good veggies.

AntonLee

Quote from: porcupine kate on May 15, 2010, 05:13 PM NHFT
Anton
Gurney's has a dwarf low bush Blueberry that will survive down to -45 degrees.  The recommend it for containers.
http://gurneys.com/dwarf-northsky-blueberry/p/68071/

that's actually the one I bought.  It came in a three pack with a northblue as well.

porcupine kate

I figured I would need to baby the blueberry plants.    I need two so I bought four just in case.  I am planting them behind my raised beds so they will be easy to water.  I have some straw and a few pine needles that I can mulch with.  I have a bunch of decayed leaf hummus I plan on mixing the the ground too.  I need to do a pH test this weekend to see if the soil is acidic enough. 

AntonLee

my buckets of blueberries are doing okay right now, their leaves are turning from a reddish hue to green.  It looks less "twiggy" and more alive, ie- the stems aren't rigid and brittle, they're lush, green, and bending over. 

porcupine kate

I planted some bulbs late this spring in hopes they would come up next year.  In stead I got lucky.  I have Daffodils blooming right now in the bed on the side of the house.  They look great with the irises I planted last year.   :flower:
Kate

cathleeninnh

I am planning on no more frost. I have everything in the ground, transplants and seeds. Crossing my fingers.

Kat Kanning

Me too.  I put out most of my starts.  All I've got left is some peppers and tomatoes that I'll probably transplant into something in the greenhouse.  There's only one bed delicate enough that I'd cover if it were going to freeze.

Raineyrocks

I haven't even started my tomatoes yet, indoors that is. :P  In fact, that reminds me I have to water my houseplants today, poor things are drying up! :)

porcupine kate

Raineyrocks. 
I would just go and buy started tomato plants at this point.

AntonLee

I agree Rainey, I think you said you got the topsy turvy thing.  I wouldn't even bother trying to sow those seeds that came with it right now.  The ones I got looked pretty bad in my package.  I went and got a cherry tomato plant for the top of my topsy turvy and on the bottom I got a best boy.  This is my first year doing gardening at my own place, so it's tryout time for everything and I'm no expert.

I got some bloom coming to my rhododenrons.  A couple beautiful pink/purple have come through.  I can't wait for them to all bloom so I can move them later on this summer!  I'll post pics, since we have 10! rhododendrons from the previous owner.