• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rabbit farm co-op

Started by MaineShark, November 14, 2009, 01:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

FYI, we should be picking up a number of rabbits this week from a rabbitry that's closing.

We'll have more than we can properly house, so some will be ready for almost immediate sale.

Joe

KBCraig

Do you plan to sell dressed, or just live? Either now, or in the future.

I like rabbit, but if I brought one home that wasn't wrapped in butcher paper, it would have a name and bows on its ears while I was still sharpening the knife.

MaineShark

Quote from: KBCraig on July 11, 2010, 09:30 PM NHFTDo you plan to sell dressed, or just live? Either now, or in the future.

I like rabbit, but if I brought one home that wasn't wrapped in butcher paper, it would have a name and bows on its ears while I was still sharpening the knife.

We'll do live (some of the neighborhood kids have already asked if they can buy them as pets), dressed carcasses, as well as just meat.  Probably also some products, like sausage and the like.  Obviously, the price varies, depending upon the labor investment.

Joe

PassionatePantherrr

Note: we do have the rabbits with us up here in G, if anyone is interested in live or dressed rabbits...

CurtHowland

Quote from: PassionatePantherrr on May 07, 2011, 10:28 AM NHFT
Note: we do have the rabbits with us up here in G, if anyone is interested in live or dressed rabbits...

Sudden image of rabbits in suits and ties.

Pat K

Quote from: CurtHowland on May 08, 2011, 10:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: PassionatePantherrr on May 07, 2011, 10:28 AM NHFT

Sudden image of rabbits in suits and ties.

Bunny Brothers = for all your fine dress needs.

CurtHowland

Quote from: Pat K on May 08, 2011, 10:29 AM NHFT
Bunny Brothers = for all your fine dress needs.

My father bought be a suit from Brooks Brothers. I wish I still fit it, because it looks goooooood. Actually, it's just that the pants are a couple of inches too small, I should look into finding a real tailor and see if there is anything they can do.

On the other hand, it makes me look like a banker. Never mind.

MaineShark

We could do that.

We'll have them dance a jig, if you pay enough :)

Also, we just did another round of price-comparison, and we're still middle of the pack in terms of price.  But ours are higher quality, so the value is even better (most suppliers feed their rabbits soy-based feed because it is cheap; we custom-mix feed from a variety of grains and grasses to provide better nutrition for our rabbits).

Joe

Russell Kanning

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: jerryswife on May 22, 2011, 09:44 AM NHFT
Beware:

http://biggovernment.com/bmccarty/2011/05/20/family-facing-4-million-in-fines-for-selling-bunnies/

QuoteIt's an understatement to describe the Dollarhites as being "beyond surprised" when, in the fall of 2009, a female inspector from the U.S. Department of Agriculture showed up at the front door of the family home, wanting to do a "spot inspection" of their rabbitry. She said she had come across Dollarhite Rabbitry invoices while inspecting the petting zoo at Silver Dollar City.
"She did not tell us that we were in violation of any laws, rules, anything whatsoever," John said, explaining that the inspector said she just wanted to see what type of operation they had. Having nothing to hide or any reason to fear they were doing anything wrong, the Dollarhites allowed the inspection to proceed.

Oops. Why people who value their rights and freedom should never allow gooferment officials on their property without a warrant. Even with they have 'nothing to hide or any reason to fear they are doing anything wrong'.

PassionatePantherrr

From some of the rabbit raising mailing lists that I'm on, there were several things that they unknowingly did, since they didn't study the legal aspect in advance... They were selling as pets (not as livestock), selling more than $500 gross per year, they sold across state lines, and they sold to pet stores/petting zoos. We currently raise primarily for our own use, sell a few locally as livestock, and barter/swap others directly for other rabbits/etc. It's always good to know what you're getting into ahead of time to avoid problems...

KBCraig

http://bobmccarty.com/2011/05/24/family-refuses-to-pay-90k-fine-for-selling-rabbits/

Paying a USDA fine of $90,463 by close of business Monday would have allowed John and Judy Dollarhite on Nixa, Mo., to put their "crime" of selling too many rabbits in a single calendar year in their proverbial "rear-view mirror."  Instead of paying an exorbitant fine for violating an obscure USDA regulation (not a law), the Dollarhites decided to fight back.

Russell Kanning

bureaucrats breed like rabbits by you studying their laws and paying their fines

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 10, 2011, 03:23 PM NHFT
bureaucrats breed like rabbits by you studying their laws and paying their fines

Indeed they do, but they are sometimes scary rabbits with fangs....or maybe I've been watching too much Monty Python.