• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Candlelight Vigils Daily

Started by dalebert, November 14, 2009, 06:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

6pm       Burke's
6:30pm  Eli's

Those of us who were at the vigil tonight were talking and we've decided we're just going to start showing up every night when we can, first outside Burke's and then Eli's. The idea is we're all on different schedules and this way everyone can participate whenever it works for them, much like the 420 rallies. Hopefully it can also build up once it's happening daily, perhaps even drawing in some other locals not necessarily yet involved with Free Keene, and we can make it clear that we care and aren't forgetting those who have been victimized and continue to be victimized. I suggest people get in the habit of having a candle or candles on them so they can share with others. We shouldn't count on someone being there with candles. You may want to look into one of those mini lanterns with LEDs that look a lot like candles. I hear they can be bought for about $5. I'm going to try to make several nights a week I'll stand there for half an hour even if it's just me alone. Others have said the same. It's always preferable to have numbers, of course, but if you find yourself out there alone, just have a camera, and ideally a walky-talky to communicate quickly. Certainly have a cell so you can make a call to Porc 411 if needed. I would also encourage those in Keene to have their walky-talkies on from 6 to 7pm. I don't think any of that will actually be needed but it's good to be prepared.

We may just want this to become a standard thing whenever an innocent activist is being punished with jail. If it sounds tedious, just remember that you can go at the times it works for you. No one is actually expected to show up EVERY day. Also, don't feel compelled to go to both houses every time you show. You may find you can only make one or the other. That's fine. And find strength in knowing that an innocent activist is jailed and is effectively standing vigil 24 hours every day. An hour suddenly doesn't sound so bad.

Praeteridiot

What's the cop situation when you guys show up currently?  Do they get called, have they ever already been there?

Praeteridiot

And I ask because I'm already imagining that police would be or have been quick to show up to a mass vigil (except for what JJ's told me I don't know how those have gone down).  Not to do anything, but to watch nothing be done other than what they see as just nonsense going on. 

If/when that changes to a situation of people constantly/piecemeal showing up at all daytime hours I could easily imagine a cop just always hanging out (and absolutely the behavior of the people showing up will be a big factor in whether this happens at all).

In such a case would it be wise to suggest one person going by himself? 

dalebert

Most nights cops have not shown up. It's been rather without incident. Tonight was an exception. One drove by slowly. Then one came and parked, possibly the same one. I expound upon this in the post below which is a copy & paste from the Free Keene thread.

dalebert

There were just two of us tonight. We decided to forgo the singing this time around. A cop drove by slowly and then came back, not sure if it was the same one though. He parked there with the engine running, staying warm and doing nothing on our tax dollars while we froze our butts off (okay, exaggerated, but I was beginning to get uncomfortable about that time). Who knows how many countless criminals were running stop signs and speeding and creating no end of chaos around the city while he watched us stand there quietly with candles. Someone came up to the car and had a long chat with the cop. We could only hear bits here and there, but he said something about how we were on his property but he didn't care (actually, we were almost certainly on the easement just off the road) and something about how we should protest some kind of mammograms or something like that. I think there was also something about how there were just two of us tonight and we must be the "hardcores". Haha. It was already past time for us to leave but we stuck around a little to observe the amusing over-reactions to some candle-holders.

This is a very peaceful but effective activity in my opinion. I think as long as we are persistent, and since it is obviously so completely peaceful and harmless, then over time people who don't get it now will understand that we are showing sincere concern for an innocent person who has been victimized with no apparent recourse via "the system". If more people would begin to show up just some nights when they can then this could catch on and be very powerful. They're so used to being able to displace any sense of responsibility for the harm they do because they are "just doing their jobs". The people they hurt disappear into a dark hole, shut off from everyone else and they never have to look their victims in the eye again. They're hurting innocent people and they should never be allowed to forget it. I really think these vigils should be a standard event every day that an innocent activist is rotting in prison. But if that's going to happen, more people need to step up. There is no expectation that anyone would be there every night; just when you can.

If you go on a night when I'm there, I have some candles that will burn for several nights and some cups to hold them, and I'll be glad to give you one to keep. We've cleaned Wal-mart out of the $5 LED lanterns but hopefully they'll get more in. I highly recommend them. Meanwhile, they have 6 small candles for $1 in the Xmas section. The iParty store next to Home Depot has clear plastic cups reasonably priced. Neither Wal-mart nor Target has those. It's best if you can bring a candle since you can't be sure who will show up.

It dropped below freezing tonight. I realize it's going to get colder and that's a deterrent, but I think it's just that much more powerful if we bundle up and continue to show. I think we should just keep 6 to 6:30 and 6:30 to 7 as general windows and make it clear that it's okay to come for just a portion. Maybe as it gets colder, people will choose to only stay for 15 mins and then warm up a little in the car ride over to the 2nd location. That we show every night or very nearly every night is the most important thing and I hope that keeping it clear that the schedule is not rigid will help with that.

I don't want anyone to have unrealistic expectations. There are no promises that this will do anything, particularly in the short run. You should not think of any of our actions as a quick-fix solution. I just think that hurting innocent people should not be something that one can do casually and then quickly forget about it and get on with their lives.

dalebert

Kurt is out of jail so I'm removing this from the schedule... for now. They may be back on the next time a peaceful, innocent activist is jailed, though not necessarily at the same places.

Lumpy

Dale and all you guys who showed support are the schiz!

I agree with Dale that each time someone goes in the clink that this ought to happen...  eventually it will happen to a loved one of the people who call for protesting for mammograms and then they will have the inevitable change of heart,  if they are not too full of themselves.

If anyone says that it would be good to have a list of all judges and police officer's home addresses, I will start compiling it and putting it on line somewhere, maybe even publicly in some cases.  Phone numbers might be good too, but that may be too far in some cases.

You are all appreciated beyond measure.  I love you all, each and every one of you.  This is truly the life, second to none.