• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bad news for RecumbentRecycler!

Started by jaqeboy, December 01, 2009, 10:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ny2nh

I've never needed a public defender.....but I would think you could request a different one if the one you have thinks an innocent person should just plead guilty to such a horrible crime and basically ruin the rest of his life.

What initially struck me odd was that all the online talk was about how he was getting screwed over in the receiving stolen property case.....right up until he went to jail. Not a word recently about how he was getting screwed by the system because his public defender just wanted him to plead guilty. I would think I would be creaming from roof tops trying to get someone to help me if I were innocent.

lildog

Quote from: RattyDog on December 04, 2009, 01:22 PM NHFTI don't know what's worse...this poor little girl really having been victimized by her father and her father only getting a ten year sentence for doing such a thing...or this poor little girl having a loony toons mom and a sane, kind hearted father who can't save her from the mother because he;s in jail for something he didn't do.

That about sums it up right there.

Any way you look at it the little girl comes out the loser in the story and that's something I think we can all agree on.

cathleeninnh

I don't see where the public defender advised him to plead guilty. We don't know that, do we?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: RattyDog on December 04, 2009, 01:22 PM NHFT
If my spouse turned crazy and ran off on me and turned my kids against me...I would have lost just about everything I have in the world that is precious to me. The only things I'd have left in all the world is my good name and the fact that my kids know I love them....I would fight for those things, the last things I had left on this earth, until the day I died...be that in a prison cell or out in the world.
It took me a couple of years after my exwife kicked me out to realize that I shouldn't be cooperating with her. I wanted to do anything to win her back and be with my kids. Now I realize I shouldn't have gone along with any of it from the start.

RattyDog

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 04, 2009, 04:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: RattyDog on December 04, 2009, 01:22 PM NHFT
If my spouse turned crazy and ran off on me and turned my kids against me...I would have lost just about everything I have in the world that is precious to me. The only things I'd have left in all the world is my good name and the fact that my kids know I love them....I would fight for those things, the last things I had left on this earth, until the day I died...be that in a prison cell or out in the world.
It took me a couple of years after my exwife kicked me out to realize that I shouldn't be cooperating with her. I wanted to do anything to win her back and be with my kids. Now I realize I shouldn't have gone along with any of it from the start.

Yeah...I don't know tons about your situation but I do know you were "taken for a ride" by your ex and her shenanigans, to say the least. I'm sorry for that. I hate that so many kids end up being used as bargaining chips and tools for punishment in situations where divorce is the only option left for two people.

The only thing sicker than the fact that some people can molest children...is that some people think it's even remotely okay to try and pin such a terrible, terrible false accusation on someone who hasn't done that. I really sincerely hope that he hasn't hurt his daughter like that...I look at my toddler and wonder how it's possible that someone could see a sexually attractive being in a baby....three is just a baby. :(

jaqeboy

Quote from: cathleeninnh on December 04, 2009, 02:52 PM NHFT
I don't see where the public defender advised him to plead guilty. We don't know that, do we?

As I understand it, the PD advised him that he could fight it (the heavier charge), but that he didn't have a good chance (kind of a "no chance in hell, nobody ever wins these things "with that kind of social worker report"). Losing that case was a mandatory 25 years up to life sentence. I admit I haven't read the social worker report - that's why I want to read the court file. I hope it's in there.

OR, he could plead to a lesser charge and get maybe 6 or 8 years. It looks like it's a mandatory minimum of 10 years, with up to 30 years (I admit I haven't read the statutes) and a chance of parole after 6 1/2 years.

He felt the only reasonable choice was to plead to the lesser charge and hope he could have some kind of relationship with his kids when he got out. During the last couple of months, he had become resigned to that decision. The people from the fathers' group thought he should fight it tooth and nail, too. He withdrew from that conversation after a short bit, I think because they weren't really walking in his shoes...

cathleeninnh

That is what I figured, Jack. I don't see any reason to be critical of a public defender willing to fight it but being realistic with the client.

jaqeboy

I think the PD was willing to fight it, but he wouldn't be any F. Lee Bailey on the budget he'd get. I believe the maximum he can get out of Tim is $3000 (according to Tim's brother, Tom). The balance of his fees probably come out of some county fund, so not sure what they'd allow him for a budget. It looks to me like, by using a PD, you're getting a service that'll catch any glaring wrongs, but won't really get you a sterling defense. I haven't met the lawyer or talked to him, though. I'll try to at some point.

jaqeboy

According to Tom, here's the address to use when writing:

Timothy Logsdon
Inmate #84576
P.O. Box 14
Concord, New Hampshire 03302-0014

Tom just got the address at the end of the day Friday and no one's tested it yet to see if it gets through. I DO know that people in jail or prison DO like to receive mail, so, if you know Tim, I'm sure he'd appreciate a letter (no more than 20 pages per Tom).

He was not able to bring any money in or have his money go into his commisary account, so had to turn that over to his brother. Money orders can be mailed to him - I'm not sure if they have to go to another address or not.

He is in the State Prison in Concord - details at: http://nh.gov/nhdoc/facilities/concord.html

jaqeboy

Oh, yeah, Tim can't have visitors yet - Tom said for 30 days. The web site says:
QuoteVisits will be allowed after the offender is released from a mandatory quarantine period. This may take up - 21 days.

jaqeboy

There is an FAQ page at: http://www.nh.gov/nhdoc/faq.html which has all the information about visting, etc. It also notes:
QuoteInmates cannot receive regular visits until the quarantine period is completed, which is approximately 3-4 weeks after admission.

It also says:
QuoteAddress the letter as follows:

Inmate Name
    Inmate Identification Number
    Institution/Facility name
    Address
    City, State, Zip Code

So the address should be:

Timothy Logsdon
   Inmate #84576
   State Prison for Men
   P.O. Box 14
   Concord, New Hampshire 03302-0014

jaqeboy

jaqeboy

The more I learn about Tim's case, the more it really smells. I learned over the weekend that:

He was given 1.5 hours to decide whether or not to accept the plea deal originally.

His attorney did get the prosecution to take 1 more day and presented a counter-offer, which, after some negotiation, the state accepted.

There was an expectation that there was a possibility of a reduced sentence in the 3-15 year range, with the hope of getting out in 2.5 years. I don't quite know the details of this because Tom wasn't really clear on how the system works or what the various terms meant.

Tim was researching how to defend against "false memory" used as testimony. This is likely one of the kinds of things a good lawyer would go after, using expert witness psychologists, etc. ($$).

I don't believe Tim's lawyer ever used the defense that he was applying medication to his daughter's private area. I was shocked when I heard that, but I think I'm going to have to confirm that somehow.

I understand why Tim wasn't as public about this case as the gun case because there is so much shame associated with sex crimes. I did find someone whom he disclosed his whole story to and he did proclaim his complete innocence to that party.

I learned more about all the family dynamics, a hateful (step)father-in-law who pledged his last dime to "get Tim", a younger brother who turned against him, an uncle who harbored and coached Tim's wife, MaryLisa. A very bad scene to be in, and, after having been smeared by the newspaper coverage of the arrest and having that hanging over him, he was fired from his job and couldn't get another, hence couldn't afford anything more than the public defender.

It really appears that he was just grist for the mill of divorce weaponry and child welfare hysteria. It was a machine that didn't really care if he did it or not, but just presumed he was guilty and tried to crush him in every way it could between the cold, insensitive gears.

"Best legal system money can buy."

Kat Kanning

jaqeboy

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 07, 2009, 04:58 PM NHFT
That really sucks.  :-\

No kidding! Friggin' stunning and heartbreaking...

If anyone wants to learn how the criminalegal system works, you're invited to join me in a trip over to Dover Superior Court to review the file. I haven't set a day yet.

It could be pretty enlightening.