• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bad news for RecumbentRecycler!

Started by jaqeboy, December 01, 2009, 10:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmike

Quote from: LordBaltimore on December 02, 2009, 08:25 AM NHFT
QuoteIn a negotiated plea deal that reduced a possible sentence of 25 years to life, Logsdon admitted to touching his daughter's genitals and telling her to keep it a secret in exchange for promises of chocolates. The abuse began in July 2006 when the daughter was three and continued for two years, prosecutors said in Strafford County Superior Court.

Logsdon, 34, formerly of High Street, pleaded guilty to one charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault.

He pled guilty to a very explicit crime, for crap's sake.

But I guess in your minds he's an innocent victim since he didn't steal your power company bill money or something unforgivable like that.

Just because he took the plea bargain that doesn't mean he admitted to the charge, that's just the way it's worded. Had Tim actually verbally admitted to doing this, the Union Leader would surely have included that quote.

Kat Kanning

He said he took the plea because he wanted to spare his family a trial.  You wouldn't believe how much I hate child molesters.  I just don't think he's one.  Have YOU met him?  I've met his wife and thought she was a loon.  I obvoiusly couldn't know for sure what he's done or not done, just judging by what I know about people.  I'm guessing you have even less information than I have.

Mike Barskey

Just because a judge finds someone guilty doesn't mean they are; a judge found me guilty of something I was innocent of, so I know this first-hand. I also know first-hand that news media report many facts wrong.

I do not know whether Tim is guilty of touching his daughter's genitals, though I would guess he's innocent. I know the "justice" system and the media are not reliable (i.e., when something is important, I do my own research). Do you? I know Tim. Do you?

K. Darien Freeheart

A charge of a sex offense is a pretty big deal. Enough so that many really smart, compassionate people instantly stop thinking. If he has been caught on video murdering someone execution style, a jury might consider the case critically. But toss in an alligation of incest and brains slam shut.

Odds are, there would have been jurors, at hearing the charge, that convicted him in their minds before the prosecutor finished his opening arguements.

I don't know Tim very well. But I know the stigma placed on sex and I know how militant people get when something is "for the children". It's very possible that Tim plead to a serious crime he didn't commit to avoid being convicted of a crime he didn't commit and sentenced to life in prison.

Then again it's possible he did it. Incest thrives on secrecy and putting out false images. But one should still be asking, how does his being in a cage help the girl if he actually is guilty? (And as someone who was diddled by my parents, knowing how that impacted my personal development, I have to wonder if the damage to the girl isn't more in the heads of the adults in that court room than it is in her.)

John

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 02, 2009, 10:39 AM NHFT, I have to wonder if the damage to the girl isn't more in the heads of the adults in that court room than it is in her.)

I have for many years wondered if the major impact of child molestation isn't the authority figures in the child's life telling teaching the child that their "innocents has been stolen", et al.
I think that those authority figures generally teach these children revenge, hatred and fear.

lildog

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 02, 2009, 09:03 AM NHFT
He said he took the plea because he wanted to spare his family a trial.

So it's better to put his family through not having him there for 10+ years if its something he didn't do?

I'm sorry but an innocent person would NEVER plea deal for something this serious.  Think about it, would you willingly give up 10 plus years of your life and get tied to a life long stigma of being a sex offender most likely never being able to hold a regular job, most likely never be able to see your kids or grand kids without supervision at best if you were innocent of what they accused you of?

No, if he plead his way in this I have to suspect he knew he was guilty as charged.

lildog

Quote from: Mike Barskey on December 02, 2009, 09:21 AM NHFT
Just because a judge finds someone guilty doesn't mean they are; a judge found me guilty of something I was innocent of, so I know this first-hand. I also know first-hand that news media report many facts wrong.

From my reading of this story it isn't a case of the judge getting it wrong.  He plead guilty before any trial even took place.  Am I reading it wrong?

MengerFan

There are two things I know for certain.

If he did it, this poor girl is going to be f'd up for the rest of her life after all of this trauma.

If he didn't do it, this poor girl is going to be f'd up for the rest of her life after all of this trauma.

Either way, the dude is going to be locked up and unable to pay for all the years of therapy she needs. Really seriously heartbreaking.

Friday

Quote from: LordBaltimore on December 02, 2009, 08:25 AM NHFT
QuoteIn a negotiated plea deal that reduced a possible sentence of 25 years to life, Logsdon admitted to touching his daughter's genitals and telling her to keep it a secret in exchange for promises of chocolates. The abuse began in July 2006 when the daughter was three and continued for two years, prosecutors said in Strafford County Superior Court.

Logsdon, 34, formerly of High Street, pleaded guilty to one charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault.

He pled guilty to a very explicit crime, for crap's sake.

But I guess in your minds he's an innocent victim since he didn't steal your power company bill money or something unforgivable like that.
Not sure who the "your" is addressed to in your post.

I have to agree with L'il Dog; what at-least-semi-normal, self-respecting man would ever, EVER, admit to the above if it (or worse) weren't true?  Which is not to say that the facts in the newspaper article may not be inaccurate, that locking him up for 10 years doesn't fix anything, yadda yadda.

I barely know Tim, and will never know what really happened, but this sure looks like some pretty fucked up shit right here. 

Lloyd Danforth

I wouldn't, even if it meant possible more time but, I'm not 34.

jaqeboy

I can fill in a few details, if that'll help...

First, Tim's brother Tom, who was present at the sentencing says (on Facebook):

QuoteThe article in fosters isn't 100% accurate. I don't think what he pleaded guilty to was what they said it was. Also, the statements were definitely not accurate. The reporter summarized what was said and bunched the worst of the stuff together. I suspect the Judge was grandstanding at the end to further her political career. The details of the accusations in the article was what the prosecution was claiming, not what he pleaded guilty to.

Note: Judge Marguerite Wageling is a "political" - she has run for some office, not sure which.

jaqeboy

Second, here's a little history that I know of (might not be totally accurate - I don't have all the dates and haven't read any of the court pleadings or reports, etc.):

Marriage difficulty - He: laid back, worked as technician at UNH, didn't earn enough for wife's liking, probably spent too much time and money on hobby interests. She: angry, yelling, criticizing constantly (per in-laws).

** [clue] Tim applies Doctor-prescribed lotion to young daughter's privates when wife refuses/doesn't want to. Daughter has some kind of rash or other issue.**

She (apparently getting some coaching) says she's going on a "vacation" with the kids. Ends up at an uncle's house in North Carolina (the Uncle hates Tim and has tried to cause problems for him before). Tim didn't know where she was with their kids for a while.

One day (months later) Tim gets served with a protective order, requiring him to give up his guns. Cops take guns.

Hearings on the protective order - wife has no grounds for the claim of being "in fear", judge dismisses protective order (I think). Tim has hearings to recover firearms, eventually wins.

Divorce libel filed sometime.

Wife moves back with her family of origin in New York State, where she lives with manipulative step-father who hates Tim also.

Tim not allowed to visit his kids. His mother is able to visit them a couple of times.

Some social worker involvement with interviewing the young daughter (again months after she takes off with kids).

Charges filed against Tim for one of his siezed firearm bodies (not a completed gun) being stolen, when in actuality, he purchased it from KT Ordnance. Tim has to defend himself against that - hearing was a couple of weeks ago, verdict awaited.

Tim arrested for the child molestation charges. Obtains court-appointed counsel, because by this time he's financially busted (fired from the job when the news hits the papers). Tim living off of his disability check (disabled Army veteran from Bosnia invasion/occupation).

Tim was advised re the best lawyer in New England for this type of case - retainer: $50,000. No one in his family could bear that cost, so he stayed with the court-appointed lawyer, who advises him if he doesn't take the plea offer, he'll lose the case and get 25 to life.

Feeling he had no other options, Tim accepts the advise of counsel, who walks through the case, negotiating plea deal with prosecution. Tim gets 30 days to wind up his affairs, has a "moving sale" and yesterday's hearing was day 31.

His lawyer says this judge was new on his case and was particularly harsh. Tim is sentenced and taken away... His brother is coming back to the state on Friday to finish cleaning up the house and get details of Tim's imprisonment. He may have a mailing address to give out then.

That's some of the pieces of this train wreck - others of you may know some clarifying points.

AntonLee

pretty screwed up.  I'm curious as to what exactly he pled guilty of. . . was the charge child molestation or was it in relation to the stolen property?

jaqeboy

Quote from: AntonLee on December 02, 2009, 05:01 PM NHFT
pretty screwed up.  I'm curious as to what exactly he pled guilty of. . . was the charge child molestation or was it in relation to the stolen property?

The stolen property trial was a couple of weeks ago and there's a separate thread reporting about that. I think Tim had a lawyer for that and the judge hasn't rendered a verdict on that yet (I don't think).

Tuesday's hearing was on the child molestation charge. Don't quote me, but the charge was something like "touching, etc. for the purpose of sexual pleasure." I plan to go to the court and read the file at some point - maybe his brother will be able to state it clearly when I go over there Friday. Nobody seemed to be that clear on how the whole process works, which is kinda scary in itself.

Friday

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 02, 2009, 10:39 AM NHFT
A charge of a sex offense is a pretty big deal. Enough so that many really smart, compassionate people instantly stop thinking. If he has been caught on video murdering someone execution style, a jury might consider the case critically. But toss in an alligation of incest and brains slam shut.

Odds are, there would have been jurors, at hearing the charge, that convicted him in their minds before the prosecutor finished his opening arguements.

I don't know Tim very well. But I know the stigma placed on sex and I know how militant people get when something is "for the children". It's very possible that Tim plead to a serious crime he didn't commit to avoid being convicted of a crime he didn't commit and sentenced to life in prison.

Then again it's possible he did it. Incest thrives on secrecy and putting out false images. But one should still be asking, how does his being in a cage help the girl if he actually is guilty? (And as someone who was diddled by my parents, knowing how that impacted my personal development, I have to wonder if the damage to the girl isn't more in the heads of the adults in that court room than it is in her.)
I'd like to discuss this further, but think that the TMI area is more appropriate.  I'm going to start a thread there; feel free to respond there (or not) if you'd like.