• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bad news for RecumbentRecycler!

Started by jaqeboy, December 01, 2009, 10:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Just learned from Tim's brother, Tom that Tim has been moved to the new State Prison in Berlin. The new address he posted on Tim's Facebook pages is:

Timothy Logsdon #84576
138 East Milan Road
Berlin, NH 03570

The Berlin joint is called Northern NH Correctional Facility - here's their web page: http://www.nh.gov/nhdoc/facilities/berlin.html

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 23, 2009, 09:41 AM NHFT

Timothy Logsdon #84576
138 East Milan Road
Berlin, NH 03570

Hmm, the FAQ page for the joint says the address should include the name of the institution (like there would be anything else at that address?), so to be on the safe side, the address should probably be shown as:

Timothy Logsdon #84576
Northern  NH Correctional Facility
138 East Milan Road
Berlin, NH 03570

jaqeboy

Tim phoned and confirmed he was moved today. He spend 3 hours shackeled and cuffed in a crowded prisoner transport van, but is now in "H pod" in Berlin.

This means that he is out of quarantine and he'll be able to receive visitors now. The process of getting on his visitor list is described on the FAQ page for the institution. There is a form that he's hoping we can scan in so anyone can print one out. Maybe that'll become available on Mail-to-Jail. I'll talk to the Barskey on that once we get our hands on the form. It has to be sent to Tim and he has to submit it to the man.

He has money for paper, pens and postage for a while, but it's always a good idea to send him $5 or $10 when you write. Money order is the best way to go, since they hold checks for clearance. The money order has to have info on the face of it per the instructions on the institution's FAQ page: http://www.nh.gov/nhdoc/facilities/berlin.html.

Tim's a Free Talk Live AMPlifier, but he doesn't request any special announcement on the show yet. He wants to write something up describing the whole case and submit that to be read on the show.

He says he doesn't know of any ruling on his gun case yet - that was at Dover District Court. Maybe some of us interested in following the legal side of things could go over and find out what's up there (or just phone). Any volunteer? It's State v. Timothy Logsdon.

He's going to check out what books and magazines are available in the library, but I know prisoners like magazine subscriptions. He'll let me know which ones he'd like after he checks out the resources there. I'm planning to get him a sub to a recumbent/trike publication (don't tell Tim).

No one can call in or email him, but if you'd like for him to give you a call, write him with your phone number and include a MO for $5 or so, since calls cost him $0.15/min. I know I'm having a hard time getting back into writing a regular old letter. Emailing and forum posting is just so easy and quick - they're not that concerned with making things convenient for him.  :(

jaqeboy

Dave, I got to the bottom of the lawyer issue for Tim. His lawyer for both cases is David Bettencourt with the Public Defender's office and Claire Adams is an investigator for the attorney.

Looks like it would be the Dover office here: http://www.nhpd.org/officelocations.htm

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 19, 2009, 12:44 PM NHFT
Dave, were you talking to the PD as a reporter? or as a character witness for Tim?

Also, are you sure that was the PD for the child sexual abuse case? I recall him mentioning the lawyers name as a guy. Maybe Claire Adams represented him in the gun case... Just curious.

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 19, 2009, 12:55 AM NHFT

One thought regarding the public defender in this case, Claire Adams:  She seemed at least somewhat diligent to me because she wrote me an e-mail requesting a character letter, and Cathleen....maybe many others.   She also was quick to respond to my questions...

I've heard some relative good things about the NHPD's  and the way their operations are set up.   That's about all I know for sure except how tim comported himself around us.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 23, 2009, 04:54 PM NHFT
No one can call in or email him, but if you'd like for him to give you a call, write him with your phone number and include a MO for $5 or so, since calls cost him $0.15/min. I know I'm having a hard time getting back into writing a regular old letter. Emailing and forum posting is just so easy and quick - they're not that concerned with making things convenient for him.  :(

Pssst! Jack!

http://www.mail-to-jail.com/

jaqeboy

Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 23, 2009, 05:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on December 23, 2009, 04:54 PM NHFT

Pssst! Jack!

http://www.mail-to-jail.com/

Thanks, Pat - I'm keeping Barskey updated first. I'm writing Tim with one of them old-fashioned inky things ... whadya call it? Oh, yeah a pen.

jaqeboy

Tim phoned on Christmas eve and he's getting to know the lay of the land in the new joint:

He's in H Pod, but doesn't have a room yet. He's sleeping in the day room where there are about 10 bunks (hard to believe this new prison is filled and over-crowded already). He says it's even more crowded in the gym, where there are about 50 people sleeping each night.

He'll be able to work in the Hobby Shop and build things, so he's happy about that, though it might be 6 months before he can get in. If he makes things that can be sold from the prison store (presumably Corrections Creations), the joint takes 12% and he gets the balance of the proceeds. He'd like to receive prints (plans) and articles for things he could build for friends. He can receive 10 sheets total at a time in an envelope, so if you send him 1 sheet of a letter (front and back) you can send him 18 more pages of stuff - 9 sheets with impressions front and back. He'll be able to get binders and folders to keep stuff organized. He's already made one order from the store.

He's going to apply for a job in both the Hobby Shop and the Furniture Shop. In that case, he'll be able to work in there longer each day (3 hrs/day otherwise). He has to buy all materials, so he requests catalogs be subscribed to for him, so he has ideas where to purchase things.

If he works at one of the prison shops, he can only earn something like $2/day, so that's one reason he's anxious to make stuff in the Hobby Shop for sale on the outside.

I wished him the happiest holiday season, given the circumstances. He's pretty much accepted his situation and doesn't complain about it.

jaqeboy

Btw, Tim's blog from before is here: http://defenderofliberty.blogspot.com/

Maybe we can come up with a way to update it, if he sends out what he wants to appear there.

Heatman

Quote from: LordBaltimore on December 02, 2009, 08:25 AM NHFT
QuoteIn a negotiated plea deal that reduced a possible sentence of 25 years to life, Logsdon admitted to touching his daughter's genitals and telling her to keep it a secret in exchange for promises of chocolates. The abuse began in July 2006 when the daughter was three and continued for two years, prosecutors said in Strafford County Superior Court.

Logsdon, 34, formerly of High Street, pleaded guilty to one charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault.

He pled guilty to a very explicit crime, for crap's sake.

But I guess in your minds he's an innocent victim since he didn't steal your power company bill money or something unforgivable like that.
Since when is a newspaper article 100% true or not misleading?  I have seen more misleading articles than I could shake a stick at.
I was in court for the sentencing and the paper sensationalized it and implied that he admitted to these allegations.  This is only what the prosecution claimed when reccomending the term he was to serve, not what he confessed to.  His public defender wasn't a very good lawyer, in my opinion.  Tim had no money to defend himself, and his lawyer told him that he only won 20% of cases like this.  He was also told that the prosecution would push for 25-life unless he pled, and then the cap would be 10-30 with the possibility of a lesser sentence.

Heatman

In the State vs. Timothy Logsdon case, there was a finding of "not guilty"
If you are wondering, this is for "receiving stolen guns"

Heatman

The charge Tim plead guilty to was for sexual contact with a minor, where it legally means:
"Sexual contact" means the intentional touching whether directly, through clothing or otherwise,
of the victim's or actor's sexual or intimate parts, including breasts and buttocks. Sexual contact
includes only that aforementioned conduct which can be reasonably construed as being for the
purpose of sexual arousal or gratification.
the "reasonably construed" part is where Tim justified accepting the plea deal instead of rolling the dice.

jaqeboy

Thanks for that explanation of the "sexual contact" charge. Is that word for word?

Also, was there any detail on the stolen guns verdict, or was it just "not guilty?"

Heatman

I'm not sure if it is exactly word for word, but if it isn't, it's virtually identical as I recall from a discussion I had with Tim when he was deciding what to do.  He asked me for advice, and I told him that it was ultimately his decision and we (his family) would support him either way.  The prosecution had attempted to get him to plea to both charges, but after I told him that if he wasn't guilty of any of the charges, to refuse the plea offer (that he was told was only good for 90 minutes).  After refusing the plea offer, they then decided to allow more time and the opportunity to make a counter offer.  Tim made a counteroffer, which was refused, but then they came back with a "final" counter offer that he accepted which threw out the charge of penetration.  Tim justified it in that it could have been "reasonably construed" as being for sexual gratification.  He felt that it would cause the least amount of hardship and mental anguish on the family (his and our extended family) and that there was a possibility that he could get out in 3 years, as opposed to a likely 25-life.  The fact that they brought up the allegations of penetration in court and the paper wrote the article as though he was admitting to them was in my opinion, reprehensible

KBCraig

Thanks, Tom.

I know it's hard on everyone involved. I haven't assumed that Tim was guilty, because I know that people plead guilty all the time to things they didn't actually do.

If you don't mind elaborating, does anyone in the family believe Tim actually molested his daughter? Other than his ex and her family, that is?

Lloyd Danforth

I can't think of any circumstances where a man would admit to this if he didn't do it.