• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property tax, the Original Income tax?

Started by Caleb, October 06, 2005, 07:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

Quote from: russellkanning on October 07, 2005, 03:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: eukreign on October 07, 2005, 08:18 AM NHFTHow are you doing that? Just not paying property tax or are you in an area that has no/little property tax?

ahhhhh ..... the first step is to dream about not paying property taxes. :)

it is pure folly to not understand that someone pays - either the landowner or tenant/future buyer

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Hankster on October 07, 2005, 03:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: eukreign on October 07, 2005, 08:18 AM NHFTHow are you doing that? Just not paying property tax or are you in an area that has no/little property tax?

it is pure folly to not understand that someone pays - either the landowner or tenant/future buyer
what?

Ron Helwig

Quote from: russellkanning on October 07, 2005, 03:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: Hankster on October 07, 2005, 03:11 PM NHFT

what?

I would guess that what he means is that property taxes are unavoidable when they exist. If you are a renter, you essentially pay the property tax through your landlord. If you are the landowner and refuse to pay, then the meanies with the big guns will come and force you out, selling the land to get the money (thus the "future buyer").

Not saying resisting isn't worthwhile, but realistically you will eventually be forced to pay somehow.

ladyattis

I think indirect excises would be the best means to reduce the government budget. Then the government could focus on security and uniform legal structure over the services industry horse pucky.

-- Bridget

Ron Helwig

Quote from: ladyattis on October 08, 2005, 11:22 AM NHFT
I think indirect excises would be the best means to reduce the government budget. Then the government could focus on security and uniform legal structure over the services industry horse pucky.

-- Bridget

Please more detail. Indirect excises?

ladyattis

Quote from: rhelwig on October 08, 2005, 11:39 AM NHFT

-- Bridget

Fees for use of certain things. Like the excise fees on legal forms. These sorts of excises are not impounded on everyone since they're applied only to specific functions of government. That would literally cut down more than half of the government's purpose down to the initial notions of a uniform legal structure.

-- Bridget

BillG

Quote from: ladyattis on October 08, 2005, 11:47 AM NHFT
Quote from: rhelwig on October 08, 2005, 11:39 AM NHFT

-- Bridget

Fees for use of certain things. Like the excise fees on legal forms. These sorts of excises are not impounded on everyone since they're applied only to specific functions of government. That would literally cut down more than half of the government's purpose down to the initial notions of a uniform legal structure.

-- Bridget

then a title for land could be looked at as an excise tax.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Hankster on October 08, 2005, 12:24 PM NHFT

-- Bridget

I would agree that this could be seen as an excise tax if we're talking about a one-time fee.

I don't have a problem with fees for service, as long as the government isn't in services that the market is or should be providing. (anarcho-capitalists feel free to jump in here  >:D )

BillG

Quote from: rhelwig on October 08, 2005, 01:06 PM NHFT

-- Bridget

I would agree that this could be seen as an excise tax if we're talking about a one-time fee.

I don't have a problem with fees for service, as long as the government isn't in services that the market is or should be providing. (anarcho-capitalists feel free to jump in here  >:D )

well you have to understand what the title is for - right?

the title is for exclusive use of an area backed by the state force.

so the tax is therefore time-based since the services rendered are.

ladyattis

Quote from: Hankster on October 08, 2005, 01:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: rhelwig on October 08, 2005, 01:06 PM NHFT

-- Bridget

well you have to understand what the title is for - right?

the title is for exclusive use of an area backed by the state force.

so the tax is therefore time-based since the services rendered are.

That's why you never pay for a bill of sale, which btw you never get for any object you buy anymore, especially cars and land.  :o

-- Bridget

FTL_Ian

I think there needs to be a Property Tax Revolt.  Kat has started it in Keene.   >:D

ladyattis

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 08, 2005, 10:43 PM NHFT
I think there needs to be a Property Tax Revolt.  Kat has started it in Keene.   >:D

Yep, I see no logic in allowing a government to have a permanent rental fee on land it does not service nor maintain.

-- Bridget

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: ladyattis on October 08, 2005, 10:44 PM NHFT
I think there needs to be a Property Tax Revolt.? Kat has started it in Keene.? ?>:D

Yep, I see no logic in allowing a government to have a permanent rental fee on land it does not service nor maintain.

-- Bridget

But it does service the land.  It prevents the land from being taken over by the evil Mexicans or Frogs.

SteveA

Quote from: TN-FSP on October 09, 2005, 12:48 AM NHFT

-- Bridget

But it does service the land.  It prevents the land from being taken over by the evil Mexicans or Frogs.

They might take over and tax the land or something ;)

Ron Helwig

-- Bridget

The main service I would see the government providing here is that they back up your title/ownership to the land. If some other person (or some other government in the case of invasions) claims that they own it, the government is supposed to protect your title. This is where the justification for police and armies comes from - to apply force as a response to aggression against property owners.

No matter who provides this service, be it government or some anarcho-capitalist company, they will require some sort of documentation linking your identity to the definition of the property - i.e. the Title. This does mean that all landowners need to be known at least to that organization. Renters, on the other hand, can essentially remain anonymous (especially if the landlord doesn't care about the identity of their tenants) and don't need to be identified by that organization.