• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Howdy Grafton

Started by rs38bj, December 06, 2009, 06:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

rs38bj

I'm Bj, hail from KY.  I've been toying with the FSP for about 4 years, and posting heavily on FSP website for the last few months.  I arranged for what is the first vacation I've ever had in my adult life and plan to drive to NH.  The intention was to focus on Keene and the area around it, but a very nice lady , Kate, read everything I posted and suggested that the Grafton area would be more what I am looking for.  And from what she described, that's probably going to be the best place for me to see first.

My #1 focus for liberty is property.  Kate mentioned that the Grafton area was well focused on zoning and property rights.  More than gun rights, or anything else (and of course I intend to have them all) being able to have land and do what I want with it is my goal in life.

The plan is to drive all day Thursday Dec 24th getting in the area about 8pm.  I will then likely spend 2 days in Grafton and the surrounding area, a day in Keene, and another day wherever, before returning

In the Grafton area, I'd like to get a feel for

1) The mood of the area and the nature of the activism there
2) Touch base with people on possible suggestions for a career move
3) Looking for a large tract of land, as remote as possible

Any suggestions or ideas for what to head for would be great

BJ

Russell Kanning

well ... you could stop  by our place while you are looking around
grafton is very different from keene for good and bad .... there is not a lot to see here
you can look at properties online and check them out in person while visiting
you can visit with some of the activists here
all of that could be done in a day
you could wander around this part of the state to look around

where will you be staying?
there are no hotels in grafton .... there is an inn in Danbury and lots of stuph in the lebanon area
there are no cheap places to stay in Keene ... sometimes people stay in brattleboro vt while they visit keene

Free libertarian

Hello Bj,

How much land do you consider a large tract to be?   I know of 20 acres with a stream, a house,  shed, chicken coop, a garden spot, apple trees started and it's fairly remote. 

rs38bj

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 07, 2009, 05:16 AM NHFT

I'm actually having difficulty locating land that fits what I'm looking for.  I've seen plenty in VT and Maine, but really none within my price range. 

I'll likely figure out where I'm going to stay as the date for driving gets closer. 

Quote from: Free libertarian on December 07, 2009, 07:21 AM NHFT
  Hello Bj,

How much land do you consider a large tract to be?   I know of 20 acres with a stream, a house,  shed, chicken coop, a garden spot, apple trees started and it's fairly remote. 

Well actually I'm just looking for undeveloped land, with some decent trees, a stream/creek/spring, I'd go for 25 acres but I'm trying to replace what I have here, which is 56. 

George Donnelly

Free Libertarian: can I trouble you for more information on that land you mentioned? Thanks.

Sovereign Curtis

Good luck trying to get a feel for the activism during Christmas.

Pat K

Quote from: Sovereign Curtis on December 07, 2009, 09:20 AM NHFT
Good luck trying to get a feel for the activism during Christmas.

Hey don't forget the yearly, Santa you Fat Bastard! Protest. ;D

CJS

Quote from: Free libertarian on December 07, 2009, 07:21 AM NHFT
  Hello Bj,

How much is it selling for and what are the property taxes ?

Free libertarian

CJS ,  George,  and any others that might be interested in remote house in Grafton.

The house on 20 acres is on a private road, has solar electric and the town steals about $2,000 per year in property taxes.   The price is somewhat negotiable ,  I paid less than 125,000 and have made many upgrades. There are two separate lots.  I know the market has changed, so I'm willing to entertain serious offers after the normal preliminaries are gone through. 

If it sounds like something you want to know more about please e-mail me and we'll exchange phone numbers, then we can talk alot more. 

CJS

Quote from: Free libertarian on December 08, 2009, 07:24 AM NHFT
CJS ,  George,  and any others that might be interested in remote house in Grafton.

The house on 20 acres is on a private road, has solar electric and the town steals about $2,000 per year in property taxes.   The price is somewhat negotiable ,  I paid less than 125,000 and have made many upgrades. There are two separate lots.  I know the market has changed, so I'm willing to entertain serious offers after the normal preliminaries are gone through. 

If it sounds like something you want to know more about please e-mail me and we'll exchange phone numbers, then we can talk alot more.

Thanks for the response . I will be stuck here in commie land at least another 6 months .

rs38bj

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 07, 2009, 05:16 AM NHFT
grafton is very different from keene for good and bad .... there is not a lot to see here
all of that could be done in a day
you could wander around this part of the state to look around

where will you be staying?
there are no hotels in grafton .... there is an inn in Danbury and lots of stuph in the lebanon area
there are no cheap places to stay in Keene ... sometimes people stay in brattleboro vt while they visit keene

I think as I focus on a plan, as time draws nigh for the trip, I am going to go with

Dec 24th-26th- drive to and arrive in Keene- this will be one of the first places I'd hit on the way into NH anyway.  Plus, as per suggestion on this forum with the next day being a holiday, I'd be more likely to find larger liberty oriented holiday gatherings.  Then spend the next day checking out the area around Keene.
Dec 27-28 Grafton and Grafton area- meeting with some people and possibly looking at some land.
De 29-30 open to suggestions of things to see and do , other areas to check out
Dec 31st return to Nazi Kentucky

K. Darien Freeheart

I THINK that Lindsay and I are planning on throwing a Christmas dinner, though it might be a Christmas afterparty depending on what happens that day.

We've got ample space for people, a pool table that can be set up and possibly a place to sleep for a guest or two.

I've seen you post on the FSP forums, BJ. It seems like you're a really thoughtful guy and really interested in the FSP, so I'd he happy to welcome you here so you get a better feel for how Grafton has won my heart.

Of course, I'm not sure how this will work out. Admittedly, I'm a little bit of a last minute planner. But stay tuned, there might be more opportunities to mingle with folks and pig out. :)

rs38bj

Hi Kevin,

I am actually quite flexible on where I can be. In fact I might end up in both towns the same day.  I appreciate the invite and I will keep it in mind as I am trying to figure out how I blast across that NH line soon.  I only wish it was a one way trip and not just a visit. 

porcupine kate

Glad to see you found your way here.  I hope you enjoy your visit.  I know the Grafton Crowd will take good care of you.  check the calendar here and on the freekeene.com to find out what people are doing the week you are here.

If you go from Keene to Grafton you may want to look into hotels in Hanover / Lebanon area. 

Kate (the one from the FSP forum)

rs38bj

I'm so excited, you have no idea  ;D