• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Alexandria? And what to look for when buying land in NH?

Started by George Donnelly, December 09, 2009, 12:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

George Donnelly

Does anyone have any opinions on Alexandria? Good place to live, bad? Why or why not? It appears Alexandria is in Grafton county and doesn't have zoning either? Am I right?

Also, what should I look for when buying land? Dreepa told me to avoid wetlands - any other suggestions, advice? It's all very appreciated.

Thanks!

cathleeninnh

Besides wetlands, access and connectivity are big issues. Oftentimes, land is available because someone subdivided their long held property. Their house is sitting on the road and the available property is the "back 40". You get access through their property, but that isn't a road. Roads can be expensive and the utility poles that go with them. Connectivity is desirable and not universal. Find out what kind of cell service there is and cable, dsl options.

George Donnelly

Thanks!

What's the problem with wetlands? Just govt regulation nonsense and loss of dry land or something else?

Sovereign Curtis

Quote from: George Donnelly on December 09, 2009, 04:39 PM NHFT
Thanks!

What's the problem with wetlands?

They are wet. Not something on which to build a sound foundation.

KBCraig

Quote from: Sovereign Curtis on December 09, 2009, 05:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: George Donnelly on December 09, 2009, 04:39 PM NHFT
Thanks!

What's the problem with wetlands?

They are wet. Not something on which to build a sound foundation.

And even when they're not wet, only occasionally or even rarely wet, if they've been declared "wetlands", you can expect bureaucratic hell to even turn a shovel there, much less build.

Russell Kanning

it is a very nice place .... and you will be close to us

Lloyd Danforth

But, not as close or, happy as you would be in Grafton.

Russell Kanning

i even saw cute little farms and flat land there ..... but you will probably be buying a hill with sand and rocks for ground

alexandria is better than philly .... and you build a nice library and light a huge torch

George Donnelly

Hehe. Yes the soil at one property I looked at in Alexandria is classified as "skerry".

How would you characterize the soil in Grafton town, speaking generally?

Kat Kanning

George Donnelly

Bummer. But it works for gardening? Or do folks go out and buy soil? Seems like permaculture would work, NH being rather wooded... Any insights would be appreciated.

cathleeninnh

The word from a native is that it takes years to build your soil suitably.  Compost, manure, purchased garden soil, whatever. I see those years as the learning experience. I had some compost this year and got a scant few veges out of my first garden. I expect each year to get more and to get better.

George Donnelly

Is this something one can fix with manure, worms and whatnot?

Tom Sawyer

Sure, make a big pile of leaves, grassing clippings, manure and compost-ables. Let it rot, till it in, repeat.

The faster/ more expensive option is to buy 16 yard loads of topsoil and composted manure.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: George Donnelly on December 10, 2009, 09:07 AM NHFT
Hehe. Yes the soil at one property I looked at in Alexandria is classified as "skerry".

How would you characterize the soil in Grafton town, speaking generally?
the same as a hilly property in Alexandria.
it grows really nice trees