• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Alexandria? And what to look for when buying land in NH?

Started by George Donnelly, December 09, 2009, 12:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

George Donnelly

Kat Kanning

MaineShark

Quote from: George Donnelly on December 09, 2009, 12:24 PM NHFT...and doesn't have zoning either?

Be aware that "lack of zoning" isn't always meaningful.

We have zoning down here, for a variety of reasons.  Granted, I disapprove, but the zoning ordinance basically declares the entire town to be one zone, and lists many prohibitions on the government (eg, they are prohibited from interfering with home businesses).

While "no zoning" is certainly a useful factor, looking at the content of the zoning ordinance, because it may be written in such a way that it exists, but has little effect on anything.

Or in other words, on a scale of 0 to 10 (least to most zoning), 0.1 is worse than 0, but not by very much.

Joe

PattyLee loves dogs

Neighbor in Grafton had a great prolific 1 acre garden fertilized by the 3 pet lamas in the next fenced area. She had developed this over a few years. It required chicken fencing to keep the varmits out. She invited me to garden there too as I was renting (temp) and had not invested in working the tenant land as it takes a few seasons of composting to get a pay off.  We both ate a lot of produce from her garden and I helped her.

As far as buying property look for drainage as unaddressed water is always a problem, easements and right away, taxes, local politics/ building regs/ wetlands regs can shut down building plans; and neighbors. Testing water for well use. Close to expressway is easier for me. Each town is usually posting their meeting minutes on the net. Property taxes wildly fluctuate between towns.

firecracker joe

I always liked Alexandria and most of Grafton county. As for a garden pick a spot where you want your garden fence it off and raise pigs in their the first year then the next year plant your garden their and you will have nice fertile ground to work with that has been turned and rooted and worked by the pigs all summer.I had a pig pen and the next year in that spot i had a natural garden just from the seeds the pigs digested like squash and beans just feed your pigs good veggies and stuff. chickens too. You can usually get pig food from a restaurant or food pantry for old produce etc...