• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How long to establish Residency to get in state tuition?

Started by rmodel65, December 18, 2009, 10:42 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

rmodel65

if i were to move to NH how long does it take to establish residency for in state tuition? anyone go to say Keene State?

MengerFan

If they're anything like VA, they won't just give you that in-state rate after twelve months of residency. You will have to "prove" that you moved into the state for an entirely other reason than just attending school. I've seen dozens of folks go through this process, and the successful ones usually were married and claimed their spouse having a job was their reason for being there.

In another matter, suppose there was this thug who periodically came and stole your money at gunpoint. How would you feel if I came over and asked you: "Hey, what do you think I need to do to get that thug to let me have some of that money, ya know, because I could really use it?"? Just curious.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: MengerFan on December 19, 2009, 05:33 AM NHFT
In another matter, suppose there was this thug who periodically came and stole your money at gunpoint. How would you feel if I came over and asked you: "Hey, what do you think I need to do to get that thug to let me have some of that money, ya know, because I could really use it?"? Just curious.

??? ???
So what does that matter have to do with rmodel65's matter?
??? ???

porcupine kate

College tuition at state schools is paid in part by Tax payers.
In state tuition is further subsidized by NH tax payers. 

Pat McCotter

Oh, OK. The higher ed business model leaves a lot to be desired. They are all way over-priced.

rmodel65

i just dont know if i can deal with the cold you guys have up there lol.... its 60 degrees here right now in south GA it was 80 a few days ago....

porcupine kate

You don't have arthritis everywhere?  You will get used to the cold. 
It make take a few winters to get used to it and you will need to buy warm clothes for the winter.
Learn to drive in the snow and you will be fine.

You will see way more snow but far fewer ice storms. 
I don't know if you get them where you.  They are quite common in Richmond VA.

The best part is you can be out side in the summer.
Way less humidity
Less bugs
Longer daylight hours in the summer
The nighs cool down.  You don't have the hot sticky soup at 1 am.

Spring lasts more than one weekend.
You know those beautiful sunny days around 70 degrees. 
You get more than 3 of them here in spring.

Fall is the prettiest time of year up here.

rmodel65

im driving around in short and with the top down on my car :P i have some joint pain because i was hit by a car riding a motorcycle a while back....

porcupine kate

My husband is still wearing shorts up here.  ;)    His also from Maine.
The two of you can swap motorcycle accident stories.

I have osteoarthritis all over my body.  It is not fun.
I am looking at a double knee replacement in my future. I'm supper cautious on the ice.
My body aches a little worse on the coldest of days. (I'm talking single digit weather not normal cold weather.)
I'm not ever going to move back south.  NH is my home.

You may have the top down now.  I'll give you that.

In NH you won't need the air conditioning most of the summer.
You would drive around 2 and a half seasons with the top down on great curvy roads with beautiful hills and mountains all covered in small farms and trees.  New Hampshire is beautiful.

I'm biased.  I love it here in NH.

I didn't let cold, snow and ice be the main factors in looking for a place to call home.  I was looking for a better quality of life.  I have found it and great people here to share it with.  I have lived 3 other states and NH is by far the best place I have ever lived.  There is something to be said for being in a group of real peers. 

It is hard to pack up and move across country.  I understand.
I also don't think weather should be the biggest thing stopping you.

I hope you make it up soon to at least visit. 
Kate