• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Northern Agorists - a Call to Gather

Started by jaqeboy, January 03, 2010, 07:38 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

There will be a get-together of agorists Saturday, 9 January 2010 at the Red Apple Buffet.
We'll start at roughly 1:30 PM after the Concord Porcupines meeting.

With enough movers now that self-identify as agorists, it's time for us to meet and get to know each other.

There will be books, literature and lots of talk and ideas. We'll see if we can focus in on any projects, so bring your own pet project or concepts, ideas, etc. or your counter-economic products and services for sale.

We can see if we want to have any organizational structure or future meetings, but in any event, we can begin carving out our place in the Free State freedom movement.

Print out the attached flyer to hand to other agorists and let's see if we can kick this new year off with a good crowd of us.

We don't envision this meeting as a time to argue about whether this is the right approach or not, so let's not bring in a bunch of debaters and critics - let's set the stage to create the counter-economy here and now.

Kat Kanning

jaqeboy

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 03, 2010, 08:30 PM NHFT
What, no vote on the venue?

Kind of sounds like a dictatorship, eh? Well it was a unanymous consent by the 3 of us who met in "executive agorist session".

jaqeboy

A total apology for swiping Sovereign Curtis' cute marketing line "Agorists Unite" - I am hereby trying to return it to his use only.

To explain: I was talking to another agorist on Jan 1st and we said "look, there are all these self-identifying agorists here now amongst the FSP movers, let's try to get everyone together for a big chat session, eh? (She's Canadian). Let's create a little flyer to hand out at the other meetings and let's hold it at a central location in the state, because there are agorists on the seacoast and up north, too, so how about right after the Concord Porcs meeting next Saturday. OK, what should it say? How about 'Agorists Unite'? That sounds cool and that guy SovCurtis used that the other day. Sure, OK, go with that. Print something up quick to hand out to the Merrimack Valley Porcs on Jan 2." OK, and away we went, with a last minute run to Kinko's before the MVP meeting. (probably an 18 hour cycle time from start to finish).

So, disclaimer here: The previous use of the slogan "Agorists Unite" was in no way an intention to usurp SovCurtis' project idea or to take it over, and a bad choice for the flyer. Sorry, Curtis. I'll think of something else and re-do the flyer, but several have been released already. Hmm.

We ARE looking for input on how an agorist meeting should be "organized", since I don't really think it should be top-down hierarchical, like a party meeting, with Robert's Rules, and all. If anyone's got ideas, cough up. Let's hear them.

So, the Saturday meeting will be more of a social, for agorists to meet each other and share ideas. We are bringing in books, pamphlets, posters for your reading and viewing pleasure. Please bring your questions (though the meeting is intended to be for people who already identify themselves as agorists - we envision other "Intro to Agorism" meetings), bring your enthusiasm, bring your ideas for counter-economy projects. Let's create the New Libertarian movement here!

Tom Sawyer

Ok...

I hear by lay claim to the phrase

Agorists Untie
from
the
System

George Donnelly

Great work that you are organizing this! I can't wait to participate.

My suggestion is to approach the meetup like it's a free market economy. Perhaps think of it more like an exchange or the old Liberty Pole of revolutionary times - just a low-pressure way to have fun and help people connect. Give people with products and ideas a figurative podium from which to address their market of potential buyers, financiers, partners, suppliers, etc. If possible serve finger food and alcohol or something otherwise enticing to the senses that gets people coming back.

A moderator is a good idea and some simple groundrules might be needed such as:

- no philosophy talk, it will only divide. focus on strategy and tactics instead.

- everyone should have the opportunity to speak

- don't let the most boisterous dominate the meeting.

Hope that helps and good luck with this!

jaqeboy

Thanks, George,
I submit that we should follow the "Donnelly Rules of Order:

Quote from: George Donnelly on January 04, 2010, 01:37 PM NHFT...

A moderator is a good idea and some simple groundrules might be needed such as:

- no philosophy talk, it will only divide. focus on strategy and tactics instead.

- everyone should have the opportunity to speak

- don't let the most boisterous dominate the meeting.

jaqeboy

Oh, yeah, and that other rule about having plenty of food and alcohol - that's a good one, too, except it might wreak havoc with the "boisterous" rule.

jaqeboy

Kat, in your admin. powers, can you change the subject line of this thread to:

Northern Agorists - a Call to Gather

Thanks, Jack

George Donnelly

I think you have a point there on alcohol and boisterousness. Hehe.

jaqeboy

Thanks, Kat. Looks like we're Northern Agorists now (as opposed to those Southern ones, eh?) This should eliminate the confusion I caused with Curtis' action.

We should have, in time for the meeting (fingers crossed), copies of both the New Libertarian Manifesto and An Agorist Primer for those who want to get it straight from the creator's hand. This is where Sam Konkin lays down the reason to move on to agorism from the immorality and failure of minarchism. These 2 books form the foundation of the movement and we'll have other pamphlets, essay booklets, etc. which are by others.

There seems to still be some confusion about what agorism is, so these books'll clear up the confusion. They are available online as .pdf's too.

This meeting is for already self-identifying agorists, but curiosity-seekers are welcome. We just don't want it to be a debating session.

AntonLee

this sounds awesome and even better is that I'll already be at the Red Apple!

jaqeboy

Quote from: AntonLee on January 05, 2010, 06:47 AM NHFT
this sounds awesome and even better is that I'll already be at the Red Apple!

That was my devious plan - make it so convenient that you couldn't resist staying for another dessert and coffee!

Just posted it as an event over at FR33 Agents: http://fr33agents.ning.com/events/northern-agorists-gathering

& discussion: http://fr33agents.ning.com/group/agora/forum/topics/northern-agorists-a-call-to

jaqeboy

Okay, just posted a new meeting flyer down at post #1 and again here. Same date, time and place, just a different tagline.

Scott Roth

Alright, I'm gonna try and make this one! :D