• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Brian Manning, Mike Tiner arrested

Started by Kat Kanning, January 16, 2010, 03:51 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

the earliest we would be in Manchester is around 2
we could visit his jail if he is still there

error

They're apparently keeping him until the afternoon, so the earliest he's expected to be arraigned is 1:30, according to the latest Porc 411 call.

KBCraig

They obviously don't like the attention. Latest Porc-411 update is that at 1:30, the clerk claimed Mike had appeared before a judge, been arraigned, and returned to the jail. Except, the group had spent the entire day in that judge's courtroom with no sign of Mike, and the jail said he hadn't been returned.

djbridgeland

Latest is he was apparently arraigned in a separate room where they arraign some of the prisoners. Per the paperwork, Mike refused to identity himself, a public defender or enter a plea.  The judge entered a plea of not guilty, set a court date of April 4 and set his  bail at $5000.  If he decides to identity himself his bail will be a PR bail.       

thinkliberty

Quote from: KBCraig on January 19, 2010, 01:54 PM NHFT
They obviously don't like the attention. Latest Porc-411 update is that at 1:30, the clerk claimed Mike had appeared before a judge, been arraigned, and returned to the jail. Except, the group had spent the entire day in that judge's courtroom with no sign of Mike, and the jail said he hadn't been returned.

Typical government process, making sure it's customers/citizens are left in the dark.

CJS

Dumb question , but here goes any way.

How is the Judge , an officer of the court legally allowed to enter a plea on his behalf ?

Lumpy

I've read something about secret tribunals before in my history books in another country where they had an all powerful branch of the government called "Homeland Security"...  oh yeah, that was Nazi Germany...  good thing we don't live there...  oh, wait.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: CJS on January 19, 2010, 05:35 PM NHFT

How is the Judge , an officer of the court legally allowed to enter a plea on his behalf ?
I think it is standard practice.

thinkliberty

Because the government does everything with your best interests in mind. Don't you feel safe now?

KBCraig

A judge isn't an officer of the court. A judge is the court.

One of the things a judge is required to do, ostensibly anyway, is guard the rights of the parties in his court. If someone is unable or unwilling to enter a plea, then in keeping with "innocent until proven guilty", the judge proceeds as if they pleaded not guilty.

Russell Kanning

because they make the rules

mike is in jail as of yesterday afternoon
the 20 activists that waited at the courthouse yesterday never saw him
the judge talked to him one floor above the court the group was directed to
at 1 or 2 we learned that the process was complete and waiting to type up the paperwork .... copies where handed out to Big Mike's friends.
some headed to the jail while others waited at the court in case he could be released

I guess Big Mike will be in there for a couple of months.

Lumpy

Quote from: "Chuckles" on January 19, 2010, 07:12 PM NHFT

I think it is standard practice.

Because no matter what they are going to shove their system down your throat and you are going to like it or else you will be in jail until April 4th.... ooh  wait!

Whether it's "standard practice or not it's disgusting.

jzacker

One way to think about it is that 'not guilty' is the default.  So the judge is really just remarking that, since Mike did not enter a plea, a 'not guilty' plea is entered by default.  Yes, they often say that they are entering a plea on your behalf, but that's just another way of saying that parties that don't enter a plea have a default plea of 'not guilty' entered for them.

Personally I think the court could come up with a 'not entered' instead of 'not guilty'.  There may be some precedent for that.  But you might have to do some research.

mackler

Quote from: jzacker on January 20, 2010, 12:09 PM NHFT
Personally I think the court could come up with a 'not entered' instead of 'not guilty'.  There may be some precedent for that.  But you might have to do some research.

They could set it to undef instead of 0.

Russell Kanning

so what do you guys think of the idea of me breaking Big Mike out?