• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience Evolution Fund

Started by KBCraig, February 11, 2010, 05:22 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

PattyLee loves dogs

The Institute for Justice has been interesting in it's development. I  believe they select cases which are an obvious result of govt abuse that the average guy (Not real senstive to individual liberty) would find appalling; for example cases where occupational licensure interferes with someone making a living:  the horse masseuse that got in trouble w the board that licenses vets and the board that licenses chiropractors but won. They win a lot, publish a quarterly rag. They probably are pretty well funded by contributors.
The CDevolution fund appears to be out to defend pariahs which really are in need of defense. This is worthy but inevitably harder to raise money for especially during these hard times. I have wondered how any one can afford the legal costs of CD and arrest.
Maybe volunteers can serve as paralegals to do most of the work and then give it to the lawyer to polish it up for trial.

Maybe dealers should be asked to donate secretly. For those that still file is it tax deductable? I will check this site.
I contributed a little.
I will find more later if I can get a possible gig.

Welcome and succeed "CDevolution" !!!  :hammer:

stanford

Quote from: PattyLee loves dogs on February 11, 2010, 11:37 PM NHFT
Maybe dealers should be asked to donate secretly. For those that still file is it tax deductable? I will check this site.
I contributed a little.

Not sure what you mean by "dealers"...

In order to be a tax-deductible non-profit, you must qualify under the IRS 501(c)3 regulations. This is onerous at best, and they can come in and audit your books at any time without notice. They require tons of paperwork every quarter and can pull your status at any time they feel like it. And then, anything that you wrote off while you were a non-profit is considered taxable income. But that's not why we are not a 501(c)3.

The goal of the fund is to take care of people who say "no" to government. Seems that for us to beg for exemption from their taxes would be antithetical to our mission.

FTL_Ian

Sutherland

I'm glad to see this moving forward. I think it has a lot of potential.

thinkliberty

If the fund takes a portion of winnings in civil rights violations case against the government it might be a way for it to make money, along with the people that they are defending.

for reference:
http://www.injuryboard.com/national-news/tag/Police+Misconduct+and+Inmate+Abuse

Tom Ploszaj

Knowing the list of activists that could have benefited from a CD Fund it would be a good bet that most, if not all of them, would donate any financial awards back to the CD Fund.  That's if they even accepted to receive any awards paid from taxes.

Lloyd Danforth

Probably a couple  hundred grand lost in failure to use lawsuits in some of the arrests.

highline

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 12, 2010, 08:48 PM NHFT
Probably a couple  hundred grand lost in failure to use lawsuits in some of the arrests.

This will never happen again on our watch...... If we can get enough support to launch the project and have our attorney watch these things like a hawk.

Lloyd Danforth

You will have no control over it.  Many of the CD people just won't sue. They won't use the system even where it could help take some of the profit away from the bad guys.

Sovereign Curtis

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 13, 2010, 06:18 AM NHFT
You will have no control over it.  Many of the CD people just won't sue. They won't use the system even where it could help take some of the profit away from the bad guys.

What profit?!? If CD's sue the State, they're suing the taxpayer.

Russell Kanning

well get to it
you are obviously thinking of specific cases .... why not replicate the actions and then sue at the end where someone else left off that step :)
we can then learn from your actions

as of yet ... i have not seen any of our friends successfully sue the government ... it would be interesting to see it happen

Lloyd Danforth

They already have the taxpayers money.  Having to spend it on lawsuits limits spending on programs that get them votes.  There is also the chance that when a community has to shell out bucks or, pay higher insurance premiums they will control their employees. It wasn't until every member of the Keene city council got letters explaining their personal liability in Sam's case that he got released.

Tom Sawyer

It takes years and years and a whole pile of money to carry a lawsuit through. And often in the end the government covers it's on ass. Not that it might be worthwhile in some cases.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 13, 2010, 07:37 AM NHFT
well get to it
you are obviously thinking of specific cases .... why not replicate the actions and then sue at the end where someone else left off that step :)
we can then learn from your actions

as of yet ... i have not seen any of our friends successfully sue the government ... it would be interesting to see it happen
OK!   You and Kat go stand in a bus stop with signs the next time President Bush comes to Manchester.
Someone got $80,000, for getting arrested for exactly what you did.