• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Doug Casey on "anarchy", 3/31

Started by KBCraig, April 02, 2010, 02:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Jacobus

Nice interview.  I'm not a huge fan of the "insurance companies will provide police and courts" perspective, but whatever.

I thought this was a money quote, and one of the strongest arguments for anarchy that should appeal to all sorts of people:

QuoteThere's no moral way to prevent peaceful secession – but if a state doesn't prevent secession, it soon disintegrates. People always want to do things differently, and they would if the threat of force from the state didn't stop them.

dalebert

Quote from: Jacobus on April 02, 2010, 07:52 AM NHFT
Nice interview.  I'm not a huge fan of the "insurance companies will provide police and courts" perspective, but whatever.

I think this is a common ancap thing, to think of every single institution as having to be a for-profit business.  A free market would facilitate the creation of all kinds of entities with all kind of motivations for their existence, and in such a marketplace, I'm not sure insurance is a competitive model.  As long as the entities are not aggressive, I think they can compete with the current (supposedly) not-for-profit aggressive statist institutions, and certain business models just may not be able to compare with things that may end up taking their place simply due to functioning well, like charities.

EthanLeeVita

As Dale, said there could easily be different forms of supplying a product. There could be charities, insurance companies, voluntary governments, mutual aid associations etc. There will be different pros and cons even within each type.

However, it must be remembered that we don't know what will happen; its all hypothesis. If we were able to predict the market, it would be an argument for the state. The very fact that we cannot predict the future, as it would acquire more amounts of knowledge than is available to one individual or a subsect of humanity, is an argument for the market.