• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Glue, Glorious Glue...

Started by microtone, February 15, 2010, 02:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

microtone

"fix it up, repair it, use it up, or do without..."

It was that or something like that during the GREAT DEPRESSION, now that were entering the second year, or so, of the GREATEST DEPRESSION ever, probably one of the most useful things going to get that extra mile out of STUFF is GLUE.

GLUE, lots of GLUE, all kinds of GLUE......

Why throw it out, if you can glue it back together?Damn commie crap falling apart ? old stuff come unhinged ?There's a right kind of glue for a whole mess of messes....

Glues I keep on hand.

GOOP. GOOP is GOOP.  always running out of GOOP. But it's pretty final.

Silicone Adhesive Sealant. Same as in the caulking tube, but worth spending extra for a small tube, as it dries out. Sort of holds, but can be pulled apart in the future.

titebond white glue. regular (water soluble) and outdoors.. mostly for wood.

contact cement. holds but is difficult for the impatient. otherwise superglue !

testors or duco cement, oldies often used in model making.

and finally epoxy cement. dang, I just use plenty of them all, and almost always keep a ready supply available.

There's a bit more involved in what glue to use for what, and sometimes it's a bit of trial and error.... Buy glue, don't sniff it, fix stuff and increase your quality of life.

Pat McCotter

Lloyd Danforth

When I saw this topic I thought, jokingly, Pat is sniffing the glue, again. Then I read it and I'm not so sure he isn't ;D

Pat K

Looks like he picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Friday

Yeah, I stocked up on glues and gorilla tape at Home Depot recently.  Supposedly some glues/adhesives can be used for medical purposes, but I hope I never need to confirm that.

Lloyd Danforth

I would add JB Weld and a tube of Plumbers Epoxy to the list.

Pat K

KBCraig

Quote from: Friday on February 15, 2010, 08:10 PM NHFT
Yeah, I stocked up on glues and gorilla tape at Home Depot recently.  Supposedly some glues/adhesives can be used for medical purposes, but I hope I never need to confirm that.

Superglue (cyanoacrylate) is great for closing up cuts.

Pat K

Yeah if you ever take some stitches out to early
and the wound pulls apart a little, you can superglue
reinforce it.

KBCraig

Not to give away any trade secrets, but many a dog who flinched at the wrong time while getting groomed has been sent home glued back together.  ;D

If we're talking general sticky stuff for the emergency box, I recommend some emergency pipe wrap. You can get the fiberglass kind that requires you to soak in water and then wrap (just like applying a cast), or the "Magic Wrap" stuff that is activated by stretching, then sticks to itself. The advantage to it, is that you can apply it wet, even under water, and it still works.

Pat McCotter

Sniff? No, not I. ;D Sandy probably saw some alongside the gorilla tape.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/

cathleeninnh

The saying is: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

When my son had a gash once, the ER glued it before they taped it shut.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Friday on February 15, 2010, 08:10 PM NHFT

Yup, it can be! :)  When I took my grandson to the hospital in Delmarva, he had a big cut on his head and they glued his skin together.   They told me that I panicked and when a cut isn't that deep but deep enough to keep bleeding you can hold it together and glue it. 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat K on February 15, 2010, 06:37 PM NHFT
Looks like he picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

This reminds me of my love for White-Out!  I love the smell of that stuff so much that I drew it, (it was the White-out with the marker sponge), under my nose.    Then I realized it doesn't wipe off that easily, ouch!  8)

porcupine kate

I am a big fan of two part epoxy 24hr.   I buy it in the separate bottles.  It last way longer than the plunger style.

Hypo cement is another great glue.  I use it for gluing knots together and for things like gluing watch crystals back on.

Good old Elmers Glue.  Great for all sorts of stuff.  Couldn't teach art without it.

White Out. 
The water based stuff makes a fantastic resist to keep solder from flowing when braising non ferris metals.  Used to use it all the time when I worked as a bench jeweler.