• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Power of Doing Nothing

Started by Kat Kanning, October 13, 2005, 09:31 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

What do you guys think of this?

The Power of Doing Nothing

What:  A general strike
When:  December 7, 2005
What is it:  Stay home from work for one day
Why:  A demonstration of the power of non-violent, non-cooperation

There are a great number of people alarmed at the direction this country has taken in recent years.  Those wishing for peace see us embroiled in seemingly endless killing.  Those wishing to retain a constitutional republic see our constitutional protections dwindling.  Those wishing for justice see their questions about 9-11 go unanswered.  Singly, all these people feel powerless at what can be done to halt the progress of the federal government juggernaut.  Together, these people can demonstrate a very simple idea:  Any government, no matter how large or despotic, MUST have the cooperation of the masses of its citizens to function.  The purpose of this general strike is to withdraw your cooperation with this country for one day.  The United States will shut down for this day.  Stay home.  Tell the federal government that you withdraw your cooperation with being a slave for their wars.  Tell them you will not cooperate with mass gun confiscation.  Tell them you will not cooperate with torturing people.  Tell them you will not cooperate with the trashing of the constitution and our civil rights.  Their masses of weapons mean little in the face of our non-cooperation.  We pay for those guns.  We willingly man those guns.  We willingly die for their wars.  When that cooperation is withdrawn, nothing can happen.  Show them the power of doing nothing.  Show them that the real power in this country remains, as it should, with the people, not with the Executive branch in Washington, D.C.  For this day, busses will shut down, planes will be grounded from lack of personnel, no businesses will be able to operate.  The crimes of this federal government MUST BE STOPPED.  Stay at home on December 7th.  Do no business.  Spend the day in contemplation or prayer.  Teach your children about what this country was meant to be.  Reflect on what freedom really means.

From Etienne La Bo?tie's Voluntary Servitude:

"Poor, wretched, and stupid peoples, nations determined on your own misfortune and blind to your own good! You let yourselves be deprived before your own eyes of the best part of your revenues; your fields are plundered, your homes robbed, your family heirlooms taken away. You live in such a way that you cannot claim a single thing as your own; and it would seem that you consider yourselves lucky to be loaned your property, your families, and your very lives. All this havoc, this misfortune, this ruin, descends upon you not from alien foes, but from the one enemy whom you yourselves render as powerful as he is, for whom you go bravely to war, for whose greatness you do not refuse to offer your own bodies unto death. He who thus domineers over you has only two eyes, only two hands, only one body, no more than is possessed by the least man among the infinite numbers dwelling in your cities; he has indeed nothing more than the power that you confer upon him to destroy you. Where has he acquired enough eyes to spy upon you, if you do not provide them yourselves? How can he have so many arms to beat you with, if he does not borrow them from you? The feet that trample down your cities, where does he get them if they are not your own? How does he have any power over you except through you? How would he dare assail you if he had no cooperation from you? What could he do to you if you yourselves did not connive with the thief who plunders you, if you were not accomplices of the murderer who kills you, if you were not traitors to yourselves? You sow your crops in order that he may ravage them, you install and furnish your homes to give him goods to pillage; you rear your daughters that he may gratify his lust; you bring up your children in order that he may confer upon them the greatest privilege he knows ? to be led into his battles, to be delivered to butchery, to be made the servants of his greed and the instruments of his vengeance; you yield your bodies unto hard labor in order that he may indulge in his delights and wallow in his filthy pleasures; you weaken yourselves in order to make him the stronger and the mightier to hold you in check. From all these indignities, such as the very beasts of the field would not endure, you can deliver yourselves if you try, not by taking action, but merely by willing to be free. Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces?"

AlanM

Who is sponsoring this? Great idea, if it is meant to be a general strike against the power (misuse)  of government in general. This could easily be viewed as Bush-bashing. Depends on who starts it. I am not interested in merely Bush-bashing, but Gov-bashing. I want the freedoms that the Revolutionary War rebels fought for.

Kat Kanning

Who is sponsoring this?  Me.  I had intended to talk to various groups about doing it, and they can each put their own anti-government focus on it.

AlanM

Kat Kanning

Good!  I'm up to about 3 people so far  ;)

Russell Kanning

down the road we could also call it "Refusal to be slaves" or something for the Voluntary Servitude quote.

Kat Kanning

I don't know what law you're talking about breaking.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on October 13, 2005, 12:34 PM NHFT
I don't know what law you're talking about breaking.

Nevermind!

I deleted it. But, I'm saving it.  Maybe I was thinking of the Leviathan thing.  I see its only for one day. Pearl Harbor Day.  I'll participate, er...not participate,er...go along with this, but, can you say: 'million man(mom) march?

Eli

Russell Kanning

tell your friends why you r doing it :)

Dave Ridley

actually Jerry Doyle t he talk show host is tryign to put together one of these, maybe we could coordinate with him in some way?

He wants a one day strike.  He's not a libertarian but he's on the right track.  Some of you may remember him from his acting career, he played the ever-balding security chief Garibaldi on Babylon 5. JerryDoyle.com

Kat Kanning

OK, I wrote to Jerry Doyle.  Not exactly sure where he's coming from, from that website.

TackleTheWorld

freedombabe

Now, here's an idea I like!!!   ;)

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: katdillon on October 13, 2005, 09:31 AM NHFT
From Etienne La Bo?tie's Voluntary Servitude:

"You live in such a way that you cannot claim a single thing as your own; and it would seem that you consider yourselves lucky to be loaned your property, your families, and your very lives."

Yeah, I love my work too.
But I am considering  myself lucky as La Bo?tie describes.  You think they'll leave you alone if you just pay your taxes?  You think you can work in peace if you just give them your SS number?
No, they will be enriched and embolded and reinforced and take even more!

I said no and didn't go to work today

Good idea, Kat.