• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving soon to Danbury/Grafton

Started by rs38bj, February 20, 2010, 10:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

rs38bj

Me, my redneck truck, dogs, truckload of stuff are headed for NH on the 28th.  I'm headed for Keene for social sunday that day, and then monday morning I'm gonna spend some time there and then get to the cabin in Danbury that evening, probably 4ish. 

I don't actually need any moving help per se, as everything is small and loaded by me, but I'll be there if anybody wants to drop by, getting familiar with the location and getting my stuff settled in. 

I actually have no idea where the cabin is, just that it is close to grafton.  I've only seen it in pictures, but I'm told it is perfect for me, and (hopefully in the near future) my dad. 

Pat K

Fair winds and following seas for ya.

Lloyd Danforth

Let us know when you are coming and we will help you find it.

PattyLee loves dogs

Mike Barskey

Quote from: rs38bj on February 20, 2010, 10:43 PM NHFT
I don't actually need any moving help per se, as everything is small and loaded by me, but I'll be there if anybody wants to drop by, getting familiar with the location and getting my stuff settled in. 

I actually have no idea where the cabin is, just that it is close to grafton.  I've only seen it in pictures, but I'm told it is perfect for me, and (hopefully in the near future) my dad.

You don't need help, but I bet you'd like some. And how about just having some new friends coming by to hang out? Are you renting/buying this cabin from Denise? If so, I know where to meet you. If not, I'll need the location.

rs38bj

Hi Mike,

Well if anybody helps that will cut the unloading time down to under 20 minutes  :P
I whittled everything down by selling at fleamarkets for several weekends before I moved out of my trailer, keeping just the things that "I definitely need" and the thngs that "I don't need but I can manipulate words and argue that I need it"

The cabin is the one that is Denise and Joe's, and at the moment I'm just renting it.  Buying might be an option in the future, but I'd like to scope the area out and I've got land to shed in Ky first.

anyway im going to bed

night

rs38bj

change in plans- My move date has been adjusted to march 15 instead of tomorrow. 

After assessing the road/weather conditions in NH I figured my 15 hour drive would turn into at least 20 then I presumed it was likely that the power and water were down at the cabin along with the other 273,000 people.

Plus I talked to Denise and Joe and there's something they wanted to work on in the cabin and haven't been able to what with this weather.  It would be a lot easier for them to do it now instead of when I'm alread moved in, so the good thing there is they offered to move the rent timeframe up 2 weeks which will work for me too! 

So looks like I'll be there in 2 weeks, sad but getting excited!

rs38bj

Trying this again-  I'm leaving this evening, driving about 5 hours and then the rest tomorrow morning- probably stop in Keene and say hi and try to land in danbury around 4:30pm.   

Not looking forward to the 900 mile drive, but am looking forward to being amongst people who don't think I am crazy because I want real freedom. 

The cabin has the added bonus of homesteading geared activists nearby.  That's a better deal than a box of old tools at the fleamarket!

Mike Barskey

I will try to be there to welcome you tomorrow, but I might not be able to make it. If I can't be there, I hope it goes well. :)

Russell Kanning

TackleTheWorld

Russell Kanning

BJ moved in last week
came by for a party one day
a couple of days ago came by to say goodbye
john said he was headed back to kentucky
maybe he figured it was too hard to sell his land and buy here .... i am not sure

rs38bj

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 22, 2010, 12:09 PM NHFT
BJ moved in last week
came by for a party one day
a couple of days ago came by to say goodbye
john said he was headed back to kentucky
maybe he figured it was too hard to sell his land and buy here .... i am not sure

Well it was a bunch of stuff, that's all related, centered around finances and assets. 
After some long walks along the  backroads, I contemplated that I am nowhere near where I need to financially and I don't like to be on a shoestring. 

Then there's the land- I realized it made no sense to be paying rent and a mortgage on my land at the same time.  I don't expect this land to be sold any time soon. 

I owe it to my dad to provide him a farm until we can transtion directly to land in Grafton area too.  The man is 72 and only got so many years left.  He loves NH after I showed him the pictures I took, but if we come live there now, not only are we still paying for that property, but there'd be nobody who knows the property and who could adequately sell it for us.  And in the mean time dad couldn't farm in NH. 

The downside,aside from not being in NH, is both of the jobs I resigned from are not available, but i am picking up quite a bit of work doing odd jobs. 
.  I'd rather wait and attempt the move after this land is sold and I have an additional $5,000 in hand.

In the meantime, once I get a good cashflow going I can visit Grafton in about 5 month because I'll be setting my own schedule working for myself, and Ill have more silver with me. 

When I arrived back in Ky, I've had more than one person exclaim with excitement "you came back home!" to which I responded "No, I just left home 15 hours ago.  I just came down here to settle some things"

I miss everybody there because you're all wonderful people, all of you.

Russell Kanning

i guess that is bad news and good news

i guess we will see you after a while

TackleTheWorld

Thanks for the update, BJ.  That sounds like a sad realization to come to.  Hope you are happily odd-jobbing till you can get back.