• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porc-oriented database of NH towns?

Started by GregH, February 23, 2010, 11:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

GregH

Is there some sort of database of NH towns that Porcs might use to research areas to move to?  I've seen the state's tax-rate database, which is fine, but obviously there's a lot more about a town government you might like to learn before you pick a place to live.
I get updates from a realtor and found a place that looks cute in Farmington.  I know nothing about it except that the listed tax on this house seems ok (for NH).  Is there any good way of learning more from an FSP perspective (any porcs there? What's the town government like, and what's its attitude towards the resident porcs) other than coming on here and asking?
BTW, is that the town Dave Mincin lives in?

MaineShark

I don't think there's much by way of formal databases like that.  It's hard to quantify a lot of things.

For example, some folks started with a list of the towns that don't have zoning.  Which is all well and good, but it misses towns like Northwood, where the State pretty much forced us to institute zoning (because the Feds were pressuring them, because FEMA wanted to create a flood plan, and can't do that without zoning for some reason).  So, we instituted zoning, and declared that the entire town is one zone, and is all mixed-use.

There are a lot of subtle details like that which can be hard to fit into a chart.  Best bet is to post, describing what you're looking for in a town, and see what suggestions get posted.

As far as your specific question, all I can tell you is that few folks will admit to being from Farmington.

"Where are you from?"

"Um... the Rochester area."

The first time I heard it, I figured it was just a fluke, or someone being paranoid about privacy, but in the years I've lived in the area, I've only heard one person admit to being from Farmington if he didn't have to.

Joe

Russell Kanning

there have been many similar threads on the fsp forum. you might find one that helps you out.

i would think that very low town spending per person would be the biggest factor and a good indication of other issues

it would be easier to learn that sort of stuph after you move here .... maybe move to where you find a job and then find your  permanent place later

maybe in a few years you can join us in Grafton

Free libertarian

Farmington is a "tough" town, with a reputation, relative to other NH towns anyway.   The small downtown area has alot of pedestrian traffic especially in good weather. 
Some of the people that are hanging out are bonafide authority haters, but not necessarily libertarian minded.  I've spilled a beer or two in Farmington, the bar per capita count is pretty high or used to be anyway. 

It is close to Rochester and Dover to the south and has good access to "services".
Not too far from the Lakes region either if you're a sportsmen.  In the outer lying areas of town there are some pretty decent homes, so it's not all negative.

Because of the reputation homes have historically tended to be priced under surrounding towns. That's changed a bit in recent years though, but I'd be careful not to overpay.  From a Real Estate perspective make sure you understand the difference in perception other buyers still have, or you could end up having a difficult time if you decide to resell.

What kind of setup are you looking for?  Intown, Suburbia or out in the countryside with a few acres?  Does your employment or potential employment impact where you might live?  We are always looking for more people in Grafton that "get it" , but anywhere in NH and you will still be welcomed.  ;D

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: GregH on February 23, 2010, 11:06 PM NHFT
I get updates from a realtor and found a place that looks cute in Farmington.  I know nothing about it except that the listed tax on this house seems ok (for NH).

My favorite places to look up a town in NH are
http://www.city-data.com/ by far
and then http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm

Farmington,
http://www.city-data.com/city/Farmington-New-Hampshire.html
http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/htmlprofiles/farmington.html

It appears that Farmington has lower tax rates than most of NH and lowee housing prices.  So it likely has noticeably lower property tax bills than most of NH.  It is a small town, near Rochester, NH.  Keep in mind that some of the best roads in the area are toll roads.  It seems like a great town to move to if you want low taxes and want to work in the Rochester/Dover/Portsmouth area.  The crime is likely similar to the crime in Rochester, which is low.

I wouldn't move to Farmington if I was a gay, black, atheist hippie that was outspoken about my beliefs.

QuoteIs there any good way of learning more from an FSP perspective (any porcs there? What's the town government like, and what's its attitude towards the resident porcs) other than coming on here and asking?

Don't think any FSP folks live there.  As long as you are a good person, not a loud mouth, don't publicly say you hate God, are hard working, keep your place clean, are a good neighbor and volunteer in the community, almost everyone in town will likely treat you well.

QuoteBTW, is that the town Dave Mincin lives in?

Last I heard he lived in Barrington, which is a more upper class town.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on March 08, 2010, 11:33 AM NHFT

I wouldn't move to Farmington if I was a gay, black, atheist hippie that was outspoken about my beliefs.
unless you wanted to stand out :)

freeman4liberty

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 14, 2010, 08:09 AM NHFT
Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on March 08, 2010, 11:33 AM NHFT

unless you wanted to stand out :)

I made a friend(a mover) who is close to being in all those categories.  He's a lot of fun. 

Lloyd Danforth

Farmington, NH looks like a nice town when driving thru it. I'm pretty sure that some of the little girls back in the neighborhood I left in CT could handle Farmington's toughest guys.
Not the neighborhood that I lived in..... Farmington, CT is a wealthy community with a big traffic problem. Farmington is where the slaves who took over the Amistad lived while awaiting trial. The corner of Main and Mountain Rd. was, at one time, one of my favorite places in the whole world.

Dave Ridley

my thought was the fsp should hold another vote...joiners 10k-20k get to cast their votes for which town they endorse as the most appropriate destination.  re-create the 2003 buzz that got us so many members so fast

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=20264.0

Russell Kanning