• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What's been going on in Grafton?

Started by Ed, February 24, 2010, 10:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

old thread, sorry
but

so does that mean you could build a duplex up there (to lower the costs per housing unit)?

Or indeed go one step further and build two houses on one lot, but share the well and septic system like with a duplex? And just get a surveyor and legally divide up the land/houses and sell each separatewly, like you would with duplex/condos/townhouses?

both options would save costs per housing unit

and then from there the only regulations that would kick in are the county health department regulations dealing with septic systems - which basically involves the size of the septic system vs. the number of bedrooms. So would said regulations be split between the two houses - that is, as long as the sum of the bedrooms in the two houses do not exceed what the septic system is rated for, you're A-OK? Or does it not add up like that with the way the regulations are written?

Possible?

Maybe someone's done it already? I mean, I know you can rent out a room no problem (since there's no zoning, and hence, no single-family restriction). But maybe there's one or two duplexes already?

jerry

KB, the link you cited: http://www.nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/faq.html , saying that 1 and 2 family homes are covered seems to conflict with another of their pages that says they are exempt: 

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/firesafety/legal/codebuilding.html

"When referencing the NH State Building Code, it is extremely important the designer check for amendments adopted by the Building Code Review Board. These can be found at http://www.nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/. The NH State Building Code will reference a particular edition of the International Building Code.

Please understand these codes are copyrighted work of the International Code Council (ICC). As such, we cannot supply a copy of any of the codes. If you need a copy of the code, please contact a local bookstore or the ICC at:

International Code Council
    5203 Leesburg Pike, Suite 600
    Falls Church, VA 22041-3401
    (703) 931-4533

Please note, the adopted codes specifically exempt one and two family dwellings. These structures are not governed by the State Building Code. Only locally adopted codes and the State Fire Code effect these structures."

Russell Kanning

new family arriving in Grafton on Thursday
party I hear is happening Saturday
contact agorist acre dwellers for info

KBCraig

With the arrival of DSL, will we start seeing femtocells in Grafton?

Russell Kanning

Mike Barskey

I've heard that AT&T has a femtocell for ~$150, but that they also charge per minute of cell use. So you pay for your cell phone plan, and for a device to be able to use your cell phone where the company doesn't offer service to you, and for your minutes of use AGAIN. Yuck. Or do I understand it wrong?

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 24, 2010, 06:14 PM NHFT
maybe I don't know what they are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell

In short, it is a mini cell tower connected to your broadband service, which allows you to have cell phone service where there's not any.

KBCraig

Quote from: Mike Barskey on August 24, 2010, 06:53 PM NHFT
I've heard that AT&T has a femtocell for ~$150, but that they also charge per minute of cell use. So you pay for your cell phone plan, and for a device to be able to use your cell phone where the company doesn't offer service to you, and for your minutes of use AGAIN. Yuck. Or do I understand it wrong?

I don't see that. The AT&T press release says "Minutes used through the MicroCell affect only the account of the phone making the call – there is no requirement to purchase separate service for the 3G MicroCell."

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30685

You can buy the device for a one-time fee of $150 with no usage charges, or you can pay $19.99 a month instead.

KBCraig

Of course, they'll only let you set one up if you're in an authorized AT&T coverage area.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Ed on August 12, 2010, 08:24 PM NHFT
...then from there the only regulations that would kick in are the county health department regulations dealing with septic systems - which basically involves the size of the septic system vs. the number of bedrooms.

It's actually the State of New Hampshire, Department of Environmental Services, or DES. Their Administrative Rule that applies to this is:
Env-Wq 1000 SUBDIVISION AND INDIVIDUAL SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEM DESIGN RULES.

This rule is 96 pgs. long and has a lot of detail about soil types and testing, but I've done a review for a client and excerpted it down to about 6 or 7 pages of pertinent info for his project (which might be slightly different from what you envision). If you message me with your email, I'd be glad to send you that Word doc.

Quote from: Ed on August 12, 2010, 08:24 PM NHFT
So would said regulations be split between the two houses - that is, as long as the sum of the bedrooms in the two houses do not exceed what the septic system is rated for, you're A-OK? Or does it not add up like that with the way the regulations are written?

Possible?

Maybe someone's done it already? I mean, I know you can rent out a room no problem (since there's no zoning, and hence, no single-family restriction). But maybe there's one or two duplexes already?

You should just call them. The agencies are very accessible here. 10 minutes on the phone with them and you'll have all your questions answered:

NHDES Legal Unit
29 Hazen Drive; PO Box 95
Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-6072
(603) 271-8805 (fax)
legal@des.nh.gov
appeals@des.nh.gov

Mike Barskey

Quote from: KBCraig on August 24, 2010, 09:53 PM NHFT
The AT&T press release says "Minutes used through the MicroCell affect only the account of the phone making the call – there is no requirement to purchase separate service for the 3G MicroCell."

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30685

You can buy the device for a one-time fee of $150 with no usage charges, or you can pay $19.99 a month instead.

Cool. It looks like I was wrong, and I'm glad. :)

From AT&T's website that you linked to:

QuoteDevice Features:
• Enhanced coverage indoors – up to 5000 square feet.
• No required additional monthly fees – just use the wireless minutes and data from your existing plan.
• Available unlimited minute voice feature.
• 3G handset compatible – works with any AT&T 3G phone.
• Supports 3G data services for customers without Wi-Fi capable handsets*.
• Device is secure – cannot be accessed by unauthorized users, easy and secure online management of device settings
• Seamless call hand-over – start calls on your 3G MicroCell and continue without interruption, even if you leave the building.

Device Requirements:
• 3G wireless phone
• Broadband service over U-Verse, DSL or cable
• Computer with Internet access for online registration

Additional Information:
• Installing your device near a window is strongly recommended to ensure access to Global Positioning System (GPS). A GPS link is needed to verify the device location during the initial startup.
• The 3G MicroCell is portable and may be moved, provided the new location is within the AT&T authorized service area and properly registered online.

Calls transfer out, but don't transfer in. Calls seamlessly transfer from the 3G MicroCell to the strongest available AT&T cell tower signal. However, calls connected on the cell tower do not transfer to the 3G MicroCell.

The part I put in blue might help a friend of mine who wondered about moving a femtocell to another country (i.e., traveling with it during vacation or something).

The part in red is an additional concern for me: I can make outgoing calls but not receive incoming ones. I can still use Google Voice, though, to have my incoming calls forwarded to Skype and use my cell phone for outgoing calls.

KBCraig

I think the part about transferring calls is worded poorly. I think (but I don't know for sure) that means that if you're on a call while connected to a tower, and walk inside where you lose the tower signal, you're not transferred to the femto device. (As opposed to starting while connected to the device, and then gong outside where you're automatically transferred to tower coverage.)

MaineShark

Quote from: KBCraig on August 25, 2010, 01:06 PM NHFTI think the part about transferring calls is worded poorly. I think (but I don't know for sure) that means that if you're on a call while connected to a tower, and walk inside where you lose the tower signal, you're not transferred to the femto device. (As opposed to starting while connected to the device, and then gong outside where you're automatically transferred to tower coverage.)

That's correct.  They're referring to how the mobile device roams.  You can roam out, but you can't roam in.  So if you are talking while driving, then walk into the building with the femtocell, you will lose the call.  If you are talking inside and walk out and get in your car, the call won't drop (assuming you have signal outside, anyway).

Since the issue in Grafton is not usually that the building interferes, but that there isn't coverage outside, either, that bit really doesn't matter much; the call will drop when you drive away, and you won't be on the phone when you drive up, because there is no coverage away from the unit.

Joe

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on August 24, 2010, 09:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 24, 2010, 06:14 PM NHFT
maybe I don't know what they are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell

In short, it is a mini cell tower connected to your broadband service, which allows you to have cell phone service where there's not any.
ah
cellphones don't matter too much to me

Russell Kanning