• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What is the Shire?

Started by Ed, February 25, 2010, 10:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Hi all,

I had a question about the Shire. The question is: what the hell is the Shire? What is this you're all referring to?

Lloyd Danforth

Lets say that you moved to the state of NH, but outside of the Shire. The Shire would begin to include the area that you moved too.
I'm not sure if that applies to Berlin.

shyfrog

I've always thought of it as New Hamp Shire  :icon_pirat:

Sam A. Robrin

I'll probably get around to expanding these two quatrains into a full song one of these days.  I still have to find a place to use the rhyme "cream pie-er" . . .:

Why're we higher in the shire?
We don't desire to require what the buyer bewares
We'd rather fire or retire everyone who would conspire
In affairs of State transpiring to some state of affairs!

What do we require in the Shire?
You might be quite all right in our sight, if you outrightly reflect
You entirely aspire not to be a thief or liar
We expect you to affect correct respect.

dalebert

It's a society which exists outside of the delusion of statism composed of peaceful individuals, strictly by voluntary participation, that is not defined or limited by geographical boundaries. Any person who agrees with the principles of Shire society may declare their person and/or property to be a part of the Shire or secede their person and/or property from the Shire at any time. The fact that secession is always possible without fear of repercussion makes the Shire accountable to all members.

That's my take on it anyway. Does that sound about right, Shire-folk?

Jim Johnson

Feel free to create or destroy your own illusions that are defined or not defined and/or limited by geographical boundaries. 
If you find that you think like some of the rest of "us", then you can claim to be part of the Shire.
If someone asks you what the Shire is, it's in your head.

Free libertarian

The Shire is a place where you can comfortably scratch your hairy toes and smoke anything you want in your clay pipe free from goblins and orcs. 

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Free libertarian on February 26, 2010, 08:55 AM NHFT
The Shire is a place where you can comfortably scratch your hairy toes and smoke anything you want in your clay pipe free from goblins and orcs.

I think that should be quoted on http://welcometotheshire.com  :D