• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Driving w/o a license

Started by elkingrey, March 02, 2010, 01:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

elkingrey

Hello, This question is open to anybody but I'm hoping Lauren Canario in particular will answer it as well.

I'm currently in CA but am planning to move to NH as soon as possible. My driver's license becomes expired later this year, and in an act of civil disobedience I am strongly considering not renewing it.

I would like to know whether or not I can still be an insured driver without a license, if my car is likely to be towed at the scene, and what is likely the length of time in jail to be spent over refusing to pay fines.

I don't expect anybody to be able to answer this question for CA per se, just in general. Also, any advice on how I should handle myself once I get pulled over. I may be eager for civil dis, but I'm also very thorough and orderly as well. Also, if I no longer have a driver's license I assume the only other ID I can get is a passport, which I have, or another state issued ID through DMV that's NOT a driver's license. Does anybody know of any other way to prove one's identity to banks, etc. without a state issued ID? Thank you.

Seth

Russell Kanning

i know that without a driver's license, you cannot register your vehicle with the state of NH. So you might also be running around without a goverment plate.
I would doubt you can get insurance ... since they are all tied up with the state ... but maybe.

The what do do when pulled over idea ..... is endless. it depends on what you want to do. I have even figured i would pull over slowly if a cop put on lights behind me .... but keep going if he meant to pull me over. But I have never been alone in that situation and have asked my passengers what they want to do. Last time Kat wanted me to just stop in the middle of the road, since there was no room on the side anyways. :) I have always wanted to recreate slow speed chases (LA style) calling activists and dragging it out and getting it on film, but haven't gotten a  chance.

If arrested and dragged into court, you could get anything from not guilty, to convicted with no fines, to life behind bars for crimes against the state.

Free libertarian

This one time, I forgot my wallet at home, my license was in it.  I noticed that I could barely see the road, could hardly operate the car and my safety judgement was all askew.  My car didn't seem to run right either.   When I returned home and got my wallet, everything was better.  See it must be "the license" that makes us safer.   ;D

Pat K

Free libertarian

Quote from: Pat K on March 02, 2010, 07:43 AM NHFT
Askew? What did they Askew?

I'd been drinking...so I plead the fifth.

Silent_Bob

You can register a vehicle without a license.

You can get insurance. However the insurance company will require a primary driver on the policy, who must be licensed.

Silent_Bob

Quote from: Free libertarian on March 02, 2010, 07:38 AM NHFT
This one time, I forgot my wallet at home, my license was in it.  I noticed that I could barely see the road, could hardly operate the car and my safety judgement was all askew.  My car didn't seem to run right either.   When I returned home and got my wallet, everything was better.  See it must be "the license" that makes us safer.   ;D

Don't you mean your "certificate of licensure"?  ;)

Scott Roth

And auto insurance is not mandatory in NH.  Unless they've recently changed that.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Scott Roth on March 02, 2010, 03:44 PM NHFT
And auto insurance is not mandatory in NH.  Unless they've recently changed that.

It is still not mandatory in NH.  Neither is a DL.  In NH, you can drive off of someone else's DL if they are over 25, in the passenger seat, and teaching you how to drive.  So if you want to drive in NH, just never get a DL and always drive with one other person in the car and have the person be over 25 and have a DL.

TackleTheWorld

If you are concerned about your insurance rates, credit rating, criminal record, gaps in your resume, or maintaining your car's resale value, I would recommend driving with a license.  If you are concerned about making things easier for unserialized people now and in the future when the police state really cracks down, I would recommend driving without a license.

elkingrey

I guess the reason I am interested in the insurance question is because I would hate to get into an accident and hurt someone else and have that person get screwed. Do I have an ethical obligation to that person? What if I was at fault in the accident?

Russell Kanning

i try not to crash into people .... if i did, then i would help them
people have lived happily before there was insurance

if you want to have insurance from some company, then maybe you should ask them what you should do :)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: elkingrey on March 03, 2010, 03:12 AM NHFT
I guess the reason I am interested in the insurance question is because I would hate to get into an accident and hurt someone else and have that person get screwed. Do I have an ethical obligation to that person? What if I was at fault in the accident?

Yes.  Even in NH where you don't have to have insurance, you still have to pay to resolve an accident if you are at fault.

Of course, what Russell said is more important than the law.

elkingrey

The other concern I have is the likelihood of having my car impounded. Paying the state to get my car back would suck and seems counterproductive. Any thoughts?

KBCraig