• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Driving w/o a license

Started by elkingrey, March 02, 2010, 01:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I am up for big boy stuph. I just can't beat kids in street races. :(
It is amazing how much federal and state road taxes I pay. I curse the state when I hit potholes after all the money I pay.
On one of the trucking radio shows recently they said that Amtrak wants to start tapping into the federal highway money we all pay.

MaineShark

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 20, 2014, 11:12 PM NHFTJoe, you're mischaracterizing the interaction.

elkingrey revived a thread to express his noncooperation to a hopefully receptive audience of fellow travelers. You enjoy the debating, and are pretty good at it... elkingrey's mistake was being baited and allowing you to establish the focus. It's not about the gasoline tax or the license fee etc. Hell if I could pay these assholes to leave me alone I would.

According to him that's very much what it's about:
Quote from: elkingrey on February 15, 2014, 09:44 PM NHFTThe idea for me behind not getting the license has mostly to do with not funding the state...

The selection of focus was his, and his alone.

Russell Kanning

I like taking sides in a debate

blackie

Quote from: MaineShark on February 17, 2014, 08:57 PM NHFT

Quote from: elkingrey on February 17, 2014, 08:42 PM NHFTI don't really care if you have a license or not. It's your life. Plenty of anarchists have licenses. To me, asking the state for permission to drive and giving them money isn't the way to freedom.

Could you please point out where I've ever asked the State's permission for anything?  I fill out a one-page form and pay $50 every five years to avoid being assaulted by sociopathic scumbags with tin badges.  Can't see where "permission" comes into it
Any time you apply for a license or permit you are asking for permission.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

The verb license or grant license means to give permission. The noun license (American English) or licence (British English,[1] Indian English,[2] Canadian English,[3] Australian English,[4] New Zealand English,[5] South African English[6]) refers to that permission as well as to the document recording that permission.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 20, 2014, 11:12 PM NHFT
Joe, you're mischaracterizing the interaction.

elkingrey revived a thread to express his noncooperation to a hopefully receptive audience of fellow travelers. You enjoy the debating, and are pretty good at it... elkingrey's mistake was being baited and allowing you to establish the focus. It's not about the gasoline tax or the license fee etc. Hell if I could pay these assholes to leave me alone I would.

Nice summary.  Yet you still haven't explained to us about your dog.  Hmmm.   

MaineShark

Quote from: blackie on February 21, 2014, 02:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on February 17, 2014, 08:57 PM NHFTCould you please point out where I've ever asked the State's permission for anything?  I fill out a one-page form and pay $50 every five years to avoid being assaulted by sociopathic scumbags with tin badges.  Can't see where "permission" comes into it
Any time you apply for a license or permit you are asking for permission.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

The verb license or grant license means to give permission. The noun license (American English) or licence (British English,[1] Indian English,[2] Canadian English,[3] Australian English,[4] New Zealand English,[5] South African English[6]) refers to that permission as well as to the document recording that permission.

You just quoted an article on licensing of copyrights, patents, and such.

However, even despite that, the article is helpful, as it states that:
QuoteA shorthand definition of license is "a promise by the licensor not to sue the licensee."

In the case of driver licensing, replace "sue" with "attack and cage."

It certainly involves granting permission, but that does not mean that the licensee has actually asked for permission.  There are many cases in which permission is granted without a request on the part of the individual receiving permission.  In some cases, an individual may even act contrary to permission, and then be granted permission after that fact (eg, if someone crashes a party to which he was not invited, but the host then notices him and says, "everyone seems to be enjoying your company, so I guess you can stay).

Tom Sawyer

It is permission, it's a permit.

I completely understand that it's under duress, and I don't fault people for choosing not to take it on... much as I pay property taxes to avoid them stealing my home. To attempt to take a pure liberty position leads to death. At the same time giving in to everything because... well... everyone is doing it, ya can't fight city hall, etc is not a moral, proper or acceptable liberty position... in the end I can't stomach much of what everyone else does out of fear or ignorance. So, much of what I do is because I'm unable to handle the anger and frustration of being bent over the barrel.

Tom Sawyer

Kanning's claims of NSA employment of my dog are "...his, and his alone."  ;D

I still stand by Johnny being cooler than Edgar, even though the Junior Hign version of me sure rocked out to Frankenstein the album, long version of course!

MaineShark

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 21, 2014, 09:59 AM NHFTIt is permission, it's a permit.

It is permission on their end.  That does not mean that permission was "asked for" by the licensee.

A while back, a cop pulled me over because I did not stop for a stop sign.  I did not stop because the configuration of the road in that location would make a yielding, rather than stopping, the appropriate way that a sensible person would behave.  The stop sign is improper, so I ignored it.

So, this cop comes to the window and asks for my license and registration.  I tell him that I do not have the registration handy, so he asks if the registration has my name on it, and goes back to his cruiser.

He comes back and asks if I'm new to the area, and I tell him that no, I've lived here for years.  He asks if I saw the stop sign.  I tell him that I did.

His only response was, "please at least slow down for it, next time," and then he left.

So, without any request on my part, he not only accepted my previous action, but unilaterally granted me permission to do similar in the future.  Without me asking anything at all.

The granting of permission does not automatically imply a request for permission.  There may be no request, or there may be a seperate request.  Some homeless individual might ask me for money, but I might invite him to join me for lunch as my guest - his request was one thing, by my permission (to join me for lunch) was separate.

Russell Kanning

I lie under torture.
BTW the fed dot has reminded us that even if a state legalizes mj we as dot slaves are not allowed to recreate.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 21, 2014, 12:06 PM NHFT
I lie under torture.
BTW the fed dot has reminded us that even if a state legalizes mj we as dot slaves are not allowed to recreate.

Look, I know most of us will respond to torture, but you didn't tell them the secret password or show them the secret hand shake did you?  Please tell me you didn't, doggone it.

Russell Kanning

would telling them where graffy lives, be a lie?

Free libertarian

Russell Kanning

well .... let's see
I guess a cop has not asked to see my license for a couple of months now. The TSA has a bunch of shippers checking for licenses, so I have had to show mine like 3 times this month. It makes you feel all warm and nazi inside when they demand it.

Free libertarian

When the shippers check for licenses do they get to wear a badge and get all "milgrammy" cuz the man in the white coat said they had to?