• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New Hampshire - A State of Suffering

Started by Sovereign Curtis, January 17, 2010, 11:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Sovereign Curtis

Hello folks. This is an article appearing in "Treating Yourself" magazine, Issue 20 - 2009, written by "Otto Emery Snow" (a cursory google search yields no "Otto Emery Snow")

I'm taking the trouble to type this up for educational/informational purposes. Fair use and all that.

Please take the time to read the article and, when finished, let me know if you would be willing to collaborate on a response to this article, one that could also be sent out to other "single-issue" liberty outlets, such as other Medical Marajuana/Counter-Culture magazines. It would be ideal if "we" could approach the response from all angles of liberty activism (ie politico response, civ-dis response, anarchist/voluntaryist/agorist response), and use this experimental effort as an outreach template to reproduce in the future.

Any errors have been left intact.

Laissez Faire!

New Hampshire

A state of suffering

**in the article. The title appears as New Hempshire, with a hastily scribbled "a" over the "e" in "Hemp"**

by Otto Emery Snow

I remember New Hampshire as a state with rolling hillsides and cow pastures, 'til paradise was paved. I have fond memories of a place where anyone would be happy to live and raise a family.

In the 1970s onward, Vietnam Vets with PTSD could obtain some of the finest cannabis to help them to sleep and relax without the addiction and insanity caused from benzodiazepine sleeping pills, tranquilizers and disabling anti-psychotics.

Sadly, in the more recent decades, the news describes a place where physicians sexually assault patients and then gang up on the victims to silence them. The Catholic schools and churches where children were once thought to be safe were plagued with sexual assaults on minors. There was a case in which intoxicated minors were passed around by priests for sex. The 'holy men' were not prosecuted because 16 is the age of consent and sacramental wine was used to loosen up their prey.

Much has changed, some has not. The once-thriving computer and electronic industries did not incorporate robotics, and are now gone. The property taxes have skyrocketed as the state has no sales tax. Some things have not changed, however. People and businesses from Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont still save money on purchasing liquor in the state and bringing it across the borders, costing these three states multi-millions in lost tax revenue over the decades.

In the 1970s onward, the most abused drugs were benzodiazepines. Physicians doled out free samples, some quantities in excess of three months. NH did not have diversion units years ago, though maybe today they do? Tranquilizers are more likely to be the first drug children will abuse, along with alcohol, then followed by other prescription drugs. This is a national problem and not isolated to NH.

The violent crime rate has always been low. Law enforcement (state and local) have always been top notch professionals. State Troopers remove their hats when pulling over cars and excuse themselves for causing any inconvenience to the driver, before giving you a ticket. They are highly respected and looked upon as role models for state law enforcement across the nation.

A friend of mine supplied law enforcement with fine cannabis. The officers used cannabis instead of taking pills to sleep, or narcotics for pain. Seems rational to me. The officers did not arrest people for simple possession or for growing a few plants.

In many communities, law enforcement rarely arrests adults with cannabis or patients growing a few plants in their backyard gardens. This has always kept a steady stream of information on major crimes from the ears and mouths of cannabis users to law enforcement. Unfortunately, the anti-patient rights in the NH Senate are interfering with that. Stopping patients from growing their own medical cannabis guarantees that organized crime will silence those who depend on their services.

In earlier administrations, the AG's Office and Secretary of State's Office have been a pleasure to work with. They shut down a company that was conning people; I dont like people who take advantage of others. The Secretary of State also offered his assistance when a friend was discriminated against in renting a condo for having long hair. If Uncle Sam needs the help of citizens to stop crime he needs to represent patients.

State AG Kelly Ayote gave a report to the state senate on the dangers of cannabis that reads like something from Reefer Madness. Unfortunately, it contained nothing about the serious drug problems in the state - NH has long been a drive-thru state for tons of cocaine headed south. This is not something new. The federal government knows the players. Prescription drug diversion has always been a problem. The targeting of patients growing a few plants masks deeper drug problems that are not being addressed.

Fortunately, those with integrity in law enforcement, county attorneys, and judges will not comprise public trust by criminalizing patients.

There are some good things to come out of the state. The statue of limitations has been increased for child molesters. Physicians that sexually assault patients are now having their wrists slapped. Patients have rights to their medical records. To what extent the state prosecutes physicians and hospitals that don't comply, I would not know.

I love the people and state of New Hampshire. They are hard working (if they can find work) and a hand-shake is their bond. The Old Man of the Mountain, the state symbol has fallen down and has been replaced with a tacky facsimile, but the foliage is still colorful in the fall.

Unfortunately for patients, the governor remains against patients rights and vetoed a patients' rights bill. Organized crime must have breathed a sigh of relief with Gov. Lynch voting to treat patients as second-class citizens. The pharmacies will continue profiting from the suffering of patients. Live free or die will remain meaningless, until next year's vote.

I don't think "Otto" has been in NH for the last 30 years. I think he got his information for this article from a ten minute google search.
I'm very disappointed.

Sovereign Curtis

So would anyone here be willing to help formulate a response?

Please?

Jim Johnson

What is it that you feel needs to be responded to?

Sovereign Curtis

Quote from: Jim Johnson on January 18, 2010, 02:25 PM NHFT

Basically I see it like this.  A large single issue liberty outlet has devoted two pages to getting it wrong about liberty in NH. I dont think they'd be opposed to running another two pages in the future, setting the record straight, if it were given to them.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Sovereign Curtis on January 18, 2010, 03:07 PM NHFT

Basically I see it like this.  A large single issue liberty outlet has devoted two pages to getting it wrong about liberty in NH. I dont think they'd be opposed to running another two pages in the future, setting the record straight, if it were given to them.

What is in this article that you feel you need to respond to?

Sovereign Curtis

Quote from: Jim Johnson on January 18, 2010, 03:40 PM NHFT

A grossly inaccurate, and lacking, representation of freedom in the Free State.

Or do you want me to start quoting specific quotes from the article?

Russell Kanning

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Sovereign Curtis on January 18, 2010, 04:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on January 18, 2010, 03:40 PM NHFT

A grossly inaccurate, and lacking, representation of freedom in the Free State.

Or do you want me to start quoting specific quotes from the article?

Yes, specifically.
Which part is grossly inaccurate and why it is inaccurate.
Keeping in mind that this article is only inaccurate as well as a liberty oriented piece, what is your response.

FTL_Ian

The author of this piece is now threatening the Free Keene Forum, and I imagine also this forum.  Here's what he sent me:

QuoteDear Folks at Freekeene, Wish you an excellent day.  My name is Otto Emery Snow.
I am the author and exclusive copyright holder of the article "New Hampshire a State of Suffering" which appears in the current issue of Treating Yourself Magazine.  A person called Curtis has posted my article on your forum (http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=2319.0) without the permission of Mr. Marco Renda (publisher of Treating Yourself) or myself.  Marco represents and publishes articles by patients and pro-medical cannabis activists.  Many of the them risk their freedoms to battle in the war against tyrannical, unjust laws and the mistreat of patients.  Many depend on the sales of their articles to put food on their tables, like myself.

I was contacted by Varrin at the FSP to let me know that they had removed the article which Curtis had illegally posted on their forum.  She told me that Curtis is not a representative of the Free State Project and holds no organizational or leadership position in the project.  I have been told by other pro-cannabis activists in NH that Curtis is a problem.  I lived in NH for 30 years and have battled for patient rights for many decades.   If you would be so kind as to remove the article on your forum would be much appreciated by myself, Mr. Renda and the patients/activist groups that depend on our continued support.
Sincerely, Otto Emery Snow

My reply:

QuoteOtto,

Surely you are aware that each individual is responsible for his or her posts.  You should probably take your concerns directly to him.  You may send him a private message, but you'll need an account on the forum first:  http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=394

Also, you may just want to try asking nicely rather than threatening "DMCA" action.  People around here don't much care for coercive threats.

I'm sorry to see someone in the legalization/decrim movement attacking others in the same movement and hope you'll come to understand that Curtis actually gave your article and the magazine some free publicity.  Why anyone would be upset about that, I don't understand.  I'd never heard of "Treating Yourself" prior to his post.

Best,
Ian Freeman

Kat and Russell, I'm interested in if or how you guys responded to the threat I imagine he also sent you.

microtone

"I have been told by other pro-cannabis activists in NH that Curtis is a problem. "

Well, frankly the "medical marijuana" crowd aren't really liberty oriented. They seem to hem and haw around the entire 'drug war' issue, generally are 'slaves to the omnipotent state', seem to be totally oblivious to the herbs real healing properties and uses.

And, nearly all of them are budding FASCISTS...

"Yes, we need more tax money for the Government to do "scientific research", we need the Government to tax, regulate and distribute "good weed" to us yuppie scum, so we don't have to cruise the inner cities to score and see the real world and the ugly face of the State's dependency to blame all and everything on "drug dealers and users".

Why waste the energy getting involved with fascists and their personal hell ?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on February 08, 2010, 09:57 AM NHFT
Kat and Russell, I'm interested in if or how you guys responded to the threat I imagine he also sent you.
i don't think we got anything
maybe he hates you for your freedoms .... i mean your 420 events :)

David

It is rather hard to sue people for money, who have no money, or property who have no property.  Mr. Snow, you wrote an opinion piece and anyone can, and will respond to your opinion piece.  If you continue to threaten my friends, I will repost your story as well.  I dare you and your overpriced lawyer to sue me.  (hint: I currently have a negative net worth, as my credit card companies will be happy to tell you.)

Jim Johnson

Quote from: David on March 09, 2010, 10:04 AM NHFT
It is rather hard to sue people for money, who have no money, or property who have no property.  Mr. Snow, you wrote an opinion piece and anyone can, and will respond to your opinion piece.  If you continue to threaten my friends, I will repost your story as well.  I dare you and your overpriced lawyer to sue me.  (hint: I currently have a negative net worth, as my credit card companies will be happy to tell you.)

You're rich in friends David.  :)
They wouldn't sue anyone to get us.  :D

Pat K

Quote from: Jim Johnson on March 09, 2010, 11:43 AM NHFT
Quote from: David on March 09, 2010, 10:04 AM NHFT

You're rich in friends David.  :)
They wouldn't sue anyone to get us.  :D

Probably sue to keep us away. ;D