• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

High speed internet in Grafton?

Started by Kat Kanning, April 15, 2010, 08:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

Got DSL today. It's blazing fast. I can finally listen to ukrainian radio over the internet  ;D

K. Darien Freeheart

I've seen Fairpoint trucks every day since they started offering stuff. It's kinda cool. :)

Russell Kanning

it works most of the time for us ..... so that is good
we even had one of the guys visiting us today

Lex

My connection has been excellent so far, here are my Transceiver Statistics:

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)8267912
Margin (dB)14.417.9
Line Attenuation (dB)38.519.2

Stats explained:

SN Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)
Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. The higher the number the better for this measurement.
6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

Line Attenuation
Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.
20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

K. Darien Freeheart

I got my modem on Tuesday (24th) which was also the day they were supposed to do my install.

It's now Sunday the 29th and my service is still not installed. Wednesday morning I called up and asked what was happening. After about 10 minutes on hold, I was told that the technicial "declined to install" that day... No reason as to why.

She then told me that I'm being put on the "offline queue" which should get me priority over new installs in terms of having them set it up. No line syncs yet and still no date for when the actual install should take place.

Lex

I was getting line sync's when the modem arrived and I hooked it up. So, you may have other issues.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteSo, you may have other issues.

Yes, specifically that since no competition exists, Fairpoint doesn't seem to think actually ACTIVIATING my service is much of a priority.

The customer support and billing people told me pretty clearly that the reason I'm not getting line sync is because the technician actually didn't activate my account.

I'm quite pissed that I don't have service yet, nearly a week after the order.

And I sure as hell BETTER NOT be getting billed for it right now. It wouldn't surprise me if I was, not at all.

I'm going to be really happy to have DSL service when it happens, but so far Fairpoint is proving a company with horrible customer service.

K. Darien Freeheart

Called today to politely complain again.

The Supervisor of Engineering called me back and said that a technician would be out tomorrow and that my service should be activated. *crosses fingers*

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

K. Darien Freeheart

Yes... Yes I do.

Now, to find the size and location of the World's Largest Foil Ball...

Russell Kanning