• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

If there were a Shire fishfarm...

Started by Kat Kanning, April 22, 2010, 04:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Mulling around the idea of fish farming at Hoyt.  This is what I did in the peace corps, and I enjoyed it.  The other day it occurred to me that there's already a pond here, which might require only small modifications to go into fish production.  Was wondering how much interest there'd be in the fish raised, or being able to come out and fish in the pond (not too challenging, but fun for kids).

Jim Johnson

I don't see fish pedicure on the list.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

I tried that at Nick Gillespie's house. Killed all his fish :'(

Pat K

Can I use a Dupont Spinner lure in the pond?

Kat Kanning

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

The pond is kind of small. You could only deploy the Dupont Spinner Lure once.

TackleTheWorld

I might buy trout in bulk, but not catfish.  What kind would be in the farm?

Kat Kanning

I definitely don't want to do trout.  They're too fussy about water temperature and air.  Other possibilities are bass, bluegill, catfish, bull head.

I think it's too cold to raise tilapia here.  On the plus side, NH isn't likely to see any alligators in the fish ponds.  :o

dalebert

Kat Kanning

Can you use that Dupont Spinner Lure now?  I think my pond needs to be bigger.

PassionatePantherrr

You might also be able to consider carp... another thing to do would be to do some testing of the pond to make sure there aren't contaminants you wouldn't want to eat in there before you get too far along in planning. Just a thought! :-)

KBCraig

Quote from: PassionatePantherrr on April 29, 2010, 02:41 PM NHFT
You might also be able to consider carp...

Not if you want to market them to eat.  :lil_alien:

Kat Kanning