• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

California Democratic Assemblywoman Introduces Bill to Ban Open Carry

Started by Raineyrocks, April 23, 2010, 03:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

http://www.infowars.com/california-democratic-assemblywoman-introduces-bill-to-ban-open-carry/

California Democratic Assemblywoman Introduces Bill to Ban Open Carry

The State Column
April 22, 2010

Editor's note: Lori Saldana of San Diego says it should be illegal to carry guns in support of the Second Amendment.

As some states consider bills to get more guns in the hands of gun owners, some states are considering bills aimed at banning open carry.

In California, the Democrat-controlled Assembly Public Safety Committee passed a measure banning "open carry." The move is expected to draw opposition and will likely lead to a number of lawsuits.

Both sides are closely watching a Supreme Court case that challenges a Chicago ban on handguns kept in private homes for personal protection.

Justices are expected to issue their decision later this year, but the court earlier ruled that the District of Columbia could not impose similar limits without violating the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

The overriding question for California is whether the court will focus on the narrow issues pertaining to the Chicago case or answer broader questions, particularly whether state governments can enact gun controls.

Read entire article

Fluff and Stuff

MaineShark

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on April 23, 2010, 04:53 PM NHFTHow silly.  You cannot open carry in CA anyway...

Yes, you can.  Has to be unloaded, but otherwise open carry is legal in CA.

Joe

Fluff and Stuff

So you can clip a paper weight on to your belt and walk around?  That is now considered open carry?  How unfortunate.

MaineShark

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on April 23, 2010, 08:15 PM NHFTSo you can clip a paper weight on to your belt and walk around?  That is now considered open carry?  How unfortunate.

That's considered open carry in a variety of places.  Arizona being one.

And NH allows concealed carry of unloaded pistols, which is one reason that a number of folks choose to move here.

Carrying unloaded is fairly foolish, but it's the standard in a lot of places.

Joe

Ogre

I like how many places allow unloaded open carry, but don't define "unloaded." If I have a clip in, but no round in the chamber, is it loaded? What if I have a clip in with no ammo? What if there's a clip in, but not locked in place?

I know, it doesn't matter, the police will do what they want without repercussion, but its fun to ask those questions.

MaineShark

Actually, they generally define it pretty carefully.

For example, NH:
159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges.

So if there is a loaded magazine "with" (ie, in contact or connection to) the pistol, it's "loaded."  A magazine that is completely separate from the pistol (eg, in a pocket) does not render the pistol "loaded."

Joe

highline

Quote from: MaineShark on April 23, 2010, 05:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on April 23, 2010, 04:53 PM NHFTHow silly.  You cannot open carry in CA anyway...

Yes, you can.  Has to be unloaded, but otherwise open carry is legal in CA.

Joe

I think it is only allowed in certain counties based on their population.

It is all very silly.

KBCraig

In California, it's legal to have a handgun with no ammunition in it, and also have a loaded magazine as long as it's not in the mag well (i.e., you can carry loaded magazines in a mag pouch). There are restricted areas, such as school zones, which are exempt. In unincorporated areas that do not have a restriction on shooting (big chunks of the countryside), fully loaded OC is legal. All of this is without a license.

In other states, it's legal to have a loaded magazine inserted so long as a round isn't chambered.

Anyway, the California folks aren't practicing UOC (unloaded open carry) as a practical means of self defense (although it's better than nothing). They're doing it for political protest, pushing for legal carry.

Raineyrocks

I thought people were allowed to carry a concealed loaded pistol in NH if they had a license.   Are you allowed to carry a loaded unconcealed pistol?

KBCraig

Quote from: Raineyrocks on April 26, 2010, 09:03 AM NHFT
I thought people were allowed to carry a concealed loaded pistol in NH if they had a license.   Are you allowed to carry a loaded unconcealed pistol?

NH requires a license for just two things: 1. Carrying a handgun that is both concealed and loaded; 2. Carrying a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

Loaded + not concealed = no license needed
Unloaded = no license needed, whether concealed or not

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on April 26, 2010, 11:39 AM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on April 26, 2010, 09:03 AM NHFT

NH requires a license for just two things: 1. Carrying a handgun that is both concealed and loaded; 2. Carrying a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

Loaded + not concealed = no license needed
Unloaded = no license needed, whether concealed or not

Oh, okay thanks!  :)   So then I could carry mine in my pocketbook as long as it's not loaded.  I thought you needed a license to carry a concealed weapon whether it was loaded or not.

MaineShark

And no license is needed for concealed, loaded long guns (although loaded long guns are prohibited in vehicles, regardless of whether you have a license).

So, if you can manage to conceal it, you can walk down the street with a shotgun or rifle concealed and loaded, without needing a license.

Joe

highline

Carrying a concealed unloaded firearm is a crime under that statue.

MaineShark