• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Yankee humor

Started by cathleeninnh, October 18, 2005, 01:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

cathleeninnh

found while surfing...

A Little Yankee Humor
One of the things that we've promised from time to time is a little Yankee humor. I found this while looking through some old e-mails and thought I'd share it with all 20 or 30 of our loyal readers. If nothing else it will give you a little insight to the psychology of us folks up here in N'Hampsha.

You know you're from New Hampshire -

- if you own only three spices - salt, pepper and ketchup.

- if you design your Halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit.

- if you have more miles on your snow blower than on your car.

- if 10 of your favorite recipes are for moose.

- if Home Depot is busier on any Saturday than the toy stores at Christmas.

- when driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

- if you think everyone from the city has an accent.

- if your definition of sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightie with 8 buttons instead of 3.

- if you owe more money on your snowmobile than on your car.

- if the local paper covers all the national & international news on 1 page, but devotes 6 pages to sports.

- if you call AAA when your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.

- if you think the first day of hunting season is a national holiday.

- if 'winning the lottery' means you get to hunt moose.

- when summer takes place the second week of July.

- if you know which leaves make good toilet paper.

- if you find -20?F a little chilly.

- if the trunk of your car doubles as a deep freeze.

- when you attended a formal event in your best clothes, finest jewelry and your LL Bean boots.

- if shoveling the driveway constitutes a great upper body workout.

- if you know the 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Bad Sledding.

- if you actually 'get' these jokes, and forward them to all your non-New Hampshire friends.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: cathleeninnh on October 18, 2005, 01:18 PM NHFT
- if you know which leaves make good toilet paper.

This is important.

Russell Kanning

I use to have a cooler in my trunk to keep groceries cool ..... not much of a problem .... and sometimes freezing is an issue. :)

president

What ever happend to the 4 wheeled bike thing?

Russell Kanning

polyanarch

These could be used in Wisconsin too.  Put in "Packers" instead of generic sports.

Opening Day of Hunting Season IS a state holiday!

president

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: polyanarch on October 18, 2005, 03:38 PM NHFT
These could be used in Wisconsin too. Put in "Packers" instead of generic sports.
I would say that NH is not sports crazed. Compared to say .... Chicago .... they don't even come close.

polyanarch

Aparently some team here in Chicago with socks on is in some big tournement this week?  I'm not sure what it is all about but it doesn't happen very often I hear.

Russell Kanning

They might like hunting here also, but in parts of WY life stands still during elk season. There would be all sorts of businesses just closed up and people would look at me funny when I would ask why.

toowm

As a Chicago native, I'm finding the non-reaction to the White Sox pennant funny. It's clear there are more Cubs fans than Sox fans, but also true that Chicago is a football town. I think there were more people watching the Bears win Sunday to go to 2-3 than watched the Sox get to the World Series that night!

polyanarch

Football?  They have a soccer team in Chicago?

Kat Kanning

toowm

Actually, the Chicago Fire plays in Naperville. ;)

The largest crowd in Soldier Field in the last 20 years was a soccer match between the Mexican and Polish national teams.