• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Software Development

Started by Lex, April 30, 2010, 05:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

I love writing software and am looking to find other people in NH (or the free state project movement) interested in collaborating on some projects.

I have some ideas for pro-freedom games, I could use help with Tuath Network and I have always wanted to write a knowledge management application that would let you keep track of everything and make it easily accessible (notes, todos, inventory, calendar, contact list, bookmarks, project management, etc). These are all very ambitious projects and it's easier to work with another person so you could bounce off ideas and share code.

I'm willing to teach someone sufficiently motivated in exchange for help on my projects.

- lex

gri

Quote from: Lex Berezhnyin exchange for help on my projects.

Where is your current own forum ?
Reply on my forum please.

NH Native

What kind of skills are you looking for?

Games are usually ambitious projects that would require a sizable team to do well.  I'm not really sure what the Tuath Network is supposed to do.  Your knowledge management app could probably be done by a lone wolf.

Lex

Quote from: gri on May 02, 2010, 02:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhnyin exchange for help on my projects.

Where is your current own forum ?
Reply on my forum please.

What do you mean "Where is your current forum"? Forum for what?

Lex

Quote from: NH Native on May 03, 2010, 08:34 AM NHFT
What kind of skills are you looking for?

Programming (Python, C++/Qt, Java/Groovy/Grails - or any programming experience would work)
Web Design (CSS, JavaScript)
Graphics Design (Gimp or Photoshop)
Animation..
etc...

Games are usually ambitious projects that would require a sizable team to do well.

I'm thinking something web based or relatively simple as far as UI is concerned so that most effort can be spent in designing the logic behind the game. One idea I had was for a "Mafia Wars"-like game as far as game play but the story behind the game would be trying to survive through an economic collapse. It would be somewhat like a role playing game, but web based.

I'm not really sure what the Tuath Network is supposed to do.

Tuathnetwork is meant to be a place where liberty minded folks can perform transactions and advertise all kinds of things. The major goal would be to track the quality and trust among relationships between people and use that to create trust networks where people can loan money and other things. There would also be a way to advertise goods for sale (like ebay), apartment listings, maybe even a dating like feature.

Think of it as ebay meets facebook with a trust network thrown in and a monetary system.

Your knowledge management app could probably be done by a lone wolf.

It could. But it's easier to work with someone. You could bounce off ideas on each other and get more done in a shorter amount of time.

- lex

EthanLeeVita

I can't do much programming (always willing to learn), but I am Community Manager for a volunteer development team for a game. I do work organizing the wiki, updating coders on various projects needing done, pre-approving feature requests from the community, organizing rules and policies in a central location, keeping bugtracker organized, making sure the revisions are uploaded to the right branching (testing and stable), and testing bugs on the dev server. I'd be happy to help if you need this (or something else you think I could do).

Lex

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on May 05, 2010, 10:38 AM NHFT
I can't do much programming (always willing to learn), but I am Community Manager for a volunteer development team for a game. I do work organizing the wiki, updating coders on various projects needing done, pre-approving feature requests from the community, organizing rules and policies in a central location, keeping bugtracker organized, making sure the revisions are uploaded to the right branching (testing and stable), and testing bugs on the dev server. I'd be happy to help if you need this (or something else you think I could do).

Would you be interested in working on any of the projects I described earlier:

1. Personal Knowledge Management app (task tracking, notes tracking, todo lists, maybe even simple budgeting)
2. Tuathnetwork (in the long run I would like the knowledge management app to work with the Tuathnetwork website, i can tell you more about my ideas here if you're interested)
3. "mafia wars"-like game based on economic collapse, would have a lot of the themes from the mises.org/lew rockwell/nhfree camps. This one i'm not sure about, this is more of a "sounds cool" idea but maybe not something I would be willing to dedicate considerable amount of time too. I'd be willing to try though.

The list above is in the order in which I'm interested in them. (Knowledge Management app being the most interesting to me at this time.)

EthanLeeVita

I could certainly help you out with task tracking, notes taking (especially if within email; you use mailing lists to coordinate?), and todo lists. Budgeting probably not. Math isn't my strong suit.

I'd be happy to hear you elaborate on the Tuathnetwork.

I'd be happy to help you with the game; what do you need? Brainstorming? Rules organizing? Someone to pre-approve feature requests. Or are you going to attempt to write a complete game? The game I'm Community Manager for is in permanent beta so its constantly developing.

What do you usually use for coordinating people? I most frequently use mailing lists/email, IRC, and MSN.

gri

Quote from: Lex Berezhny
What do you mean "Where is your current forum"?
Forum for what?

A forum for Dialogues with Humans.
A forum for your original posts.

ps.
tuathnetwork.com is inaccessible currently.

Lex

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on May 05, 2010, 10:54 AM NHFT
I could certainly help you out with task tracking, notes taking (especially if within email; you use mailing lists to coordinate?), and todo lists. Budgeting probably not. Math isn't my strong suit.

Budgeting is rarely anything more than addition and subtraction. The idea is to make it easy to use. For my normal budgeting I use a spreadsheet, but it's a bit cumbersome because I setup a new spreadsheet every month. Basically I copy the one from the previous month and clear out the misc. expenses, update the bills with variable amounts (electric, etc) and put in the income for that month. It's a very simple system but it makes it a lot easier to keep track of where I am and how much I have available in discretionary spending, etc.

For this project I could definitely benefit from brain storming help, testing and general usage. If i'm the only one developing and using the app it would become very specific to how I do things and probably not appeal to a general public. Having someone else also use it while I'm working on it and brain storm changes with me would help to make it more useful to others and in the end to me as well I think.

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on May 05, 2010, 10:54 AM NHFT
I'd be happy to hear you elaborate on the Tuathnetwork.

I'd be happy to help you with the game; what do you need? Brainstorming? Rules organizing? Someone to pre-approve feature requests. Or are you going to attempt to write a complete game? The game I'm Community Manager for is in permanent beta so its constantly developing.

What do you usually use for coordinating people? I most frequently use mailing lists/email, IRC, and MSN.

Best way is IM. My AIM screen name is eukreign .

- lex

Lex

Quote from: gri on May 05, 2010, 11:00 AM NHFT
A forum for Dialogues with Humans.
A forum for your original posts.

What's wrong with this forum? I'm perfectly content with posting this thread on nhfree. I would like to deal with like minded individuals and this seems like the perfect place to find them.

Quote from: gri on May 05, 2010, 11:00 AM NHFT
tuathnetwork.com is inaccessible currently.

I took the site down a long time while I working on it and haven't brought it back up.

EthanLeeVita

I don't touch AOL products and not on my own computer (just got to New Hampshire and still settling in) so I don't want to install Trillian or some such on someone else's computer without their permission. You have texting for your phone or just want to call?

Lex

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on May 05, 2010, 11:15 AM NHFT
I don't touch AOL products and not on my own computer (just got to New Hampshire and still settling in) so I don't want to install Trillian or some such on someone else's computer without their permission. You have texting for your phone or just want to call?

No cell service up where I live. Do you have any other way to chat? IRC, gmail chat? For brainstorming and stuff phone makes it hard to have a record of what was talked about to refer to later.

EthanLeeVita

IRC, email, or gmail chat. I'll give you details in PM.

gri

Quote from: Lex Berezhny
What's wrong with this forum?

There is no any hope on humanizing of this forum by forum admin.

The default smf forum is not appropriate for Humans.

For example, compare the links operability problem
with a Human forum behaviour:

Quote from: gri in ~Freedom-of-moving-Thoughts~
http://gri.isgreat.org/index.php?topic=.msg182#msg182