• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Haunted House or Hay Ride

Started by dalebert, August 29, 2010, 12:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Two thoughts.  First, I really want to get a group outing to attend a haunted house this year.  Halloween is my favorite holiday and I almost never feel like I really did enough to enjoy it.  I know they are popular in MA in a pinch.

Second, I think it could be a really cool project to throw our own, probably not this year but perhaps next year.  I'd like to get some brainstorming started about different factors.  I think these can be great money-makers as well as a blast for everyone involved.  It's fun to dress up and scare people.  Plus, I am rapidly discovering what a wealth of talent is available in the FSP.  I think the Keene area (most likely just outside in Swanzey or Westmoreland) would be a prime location.  It's rural enough to have a lot of potential locations within a short commute, but populated enough, I think, to make it viable, maybe even get some VT or MA folks.  I'd definitely be willing to help fund an effort if I was convinced it was being taken seriously.

Issues to work out--

Where?--  Indoors?  Outdoors (hanted hay ride).  A ride might be more or less of a liability issue (below).

Liability issues-- Insurance?  What about local governments trying to complicate things with permits, regulations, etc.?  Can it be ignored as a type of CD?  I think this is simplified by keeping it technically outside of Keene limits.

Cost vs. potential income-- Is it financially viable?  Would there be enough interested attendees?  The college?

Promotion-- Give 10-20% of proceeds to a good charity?  Perhaps Hundred Nights Shelter.  Winter is coming up!  Let them sell tickets out of the drop-in center or with the help of volunteers going around and just keep their portion.  Promote on NHFree and the Free Keene website.  People would see these groups doing something fun that would have broad appeal in the community.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head.  Please play Devil's advocate and bring up tough issues.

dalebert

A multi-event Halloween attraction in Litchfield (just South of Manch)!  They have a substantial discount on their opening night.  See the green text below.  The bulk of the cost seems to be for go-carts and golf and shit, so if we're going primarily for their mazes, it's fairly cheap.  Price doubles after opening night.  My only concern is if it will be really crowded opening night but that's not necessarily such a bad thing for something like this.  It raises the energy level.  Also the actors will still have a lot of enthusiasm and still be having fun.

Nightmare New England & SpookyWorld 2010 - Opening Night
Friday, September 24, Party begins at 5pm Haunts open at 6:30 p.m.

Mels Funway Park

General Admission $15.00
(2 Hrs Beer & Soda, All 7 Haunts, Fireworks & Prizes) 1 NIGHT SPECIAL ONLY!!!

V.I.P. $44.99
(Same as above...With unlimited front of line access all night to all haunts, Free use of Go-Karts, Mini Golf & Batting Cages as well.)