• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

More Londonderry thievery

Started by KBCraig, October 20, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

APB, you are not alone.  Liberty lovers from all around the country and world will soon be coming to NH to make a stand for freedom.  The activists on this board are the cream of the crop, and are always willing to help those who the state is trying to take advantage of.

If they haven't contacted you personally yet, I'm sure they will shortly.

I wish I was there to help, but for now I'm stuck in Florida.

Thank you for being strong.  You are an encouragement to many who have been beaten down by this tyrannical state.

CNHT

Quote from: TN-FSP on October 20, 2005, 10:14 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on October 20, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT
Londonderry is at it again.

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=62065

Seizure of land leaves Londonderry residents fuming
By MARGARET MENGE
Union Leader Correspondent

...Baldasaro said the state offered him $10,000 for 4.9 acres. He said he bought the property in 2002 for $287,000....

I thought Londonderry was one of the nicest communities in NH and land was worth $10,000 plus an acre?? If that is true, it sounds like the state is trying to steal the land...? That's one of the worst things I can think of.? I mean, the only reason the state was even created was so that it could protect you and your land.? Now, here it is, and it seems to be trying to steal land.? Well, if it does the opposite of its original function, it sounds like it has outlived its usefulness.

Land is worth $250,000 an acre in Londonderry and similar towns so THIS IS ROBBERY.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: APB on October 21, 2005, 02:21 PM NHFT
What is wrong with our government? 

Actually, the question should be "What is wrong with government?".

Government is force.  It attracts people who think it's okay to use force on others so long as it's for the "common good".  Some people think small government is the answer.  To that I say, maybe, if you can keep it small.  However, no one seems to be able to do that, so let's try just getting rid of the thugs entirely.

CNHT:  It would be robbery even if they "offered" market value, because there's no "meeting of the minds".  You can't turn down their "offer".  I don't care if they offered double market value, it's still theft.  Most people put time and effort into improving their property.  It's special to them.  Being forced out at any price, for whatever reason, is unacceptable.

Eli

APB you might want to consider contacting the Intitute for Justice.  They work specifically on government land grabs.  www.IJ.org

CNHT

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 21, 2005, 02:56 PM NHFT

CNHT:? It would be robbery even if they "offered" market value, because there's no "meeting of the minds".? You can't turn down their "offer".? I don't care if they offered double market value, it's still theft.? Most people put time and effort into improving their property.? It's special to them.? Being forced out at any price, for whatever reason, is unacceptable.

Yes of course. And even worse due to that.
I was going to address this subject on air last night but our only guest was wordy.
We were supposed to have the Manchester Mayoral candidate on and he never showed up.
I guess I would not recommend voting for him for those of you who live in Manchester.
If he can't even keep his word about showing up for a radio interview, I would not trust him to keep his word otherwise.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: CNHT on October 21, 2005, 03:25 PM NHFT

Yes of course. And even worse due to that.
I was going to address this subject on air last night but our only guest was wordy.
We were supposed to have the Manchester Mayoral candidate on and he never showed up.
I guess I would not recommend voting for him for those of you who live in Manchester.
If he can't even keep his word about showing up for a radio interview, I would not trust him to keep his word otherwise.

Not that I live there, but Manchester area people may be interested in knowing his name...

EZPass

Communicated with NH DOT about this issue (see NH govt website for contacts).  Seems the property being taken is at the bottom of a lake.  Hence the low value. Duh.  Looks like we only got half the story. ???  The state probably considers it a windfall for the property owners:  get to have the land remain unchanged (can still go fishing), don't have to pay taxes anymore, and get a check in the mail to boot.  If you're the proud owner of a piece of land at the bottom of a lake, it's probably worthle$$.  :(

There is a law firm that specializes in imenent domain cases in Manchester, NH that may be of help to some:

http://www.lawyers.com/lawyers/Manchester/New%20Hampshire/Sheehan%20Phinney%20Bass%20%2B%20Green%2C%20Professional/law%20firm.html?a=0743-LDS&co=&b=A1000071075514

GT

QuoteSeems the property being taken is at the bottom of a lake.  Hence the low value. Duh.  Looks like we only got half the story.

APB can speak as of the details, but the land is flooded, beacuse the state is refuseing to remove a dam that was built more than 50 years ago with a 50 year lease. If the dam were removed a large portion of the "lake" would be dry.

Flodded land = Less $$$ per acre and the state is keeping it flooded. I wonder why.....?

GT

Quote from: Hankster on October 21, 2005, 05:59 PM NHFT
did he initially buy the land while it was underwater?

What difference does that make?

From the UL article:

QuoteAl Baldasaro, a retired Marine Corps sergeant who lives at 41 Hall Road, was served notice in June.

He said he answered the door to see a Rockingham County sheriff's deputy on his doorstep holding a letter from the state Board of Tax and Land Appeals saying that almost 5 of his 6 acres had been taken.

Baldasaro said the state offered him $10,000 for 4.9 acres. He said he bought the property in 2002 for $287,000.

287,000 for 6 acres (and dwelling...?) in 2002 and the state is offering 10,000 for 4.9 acres three years later.....

GT

Quote from: Hankster on October 21, 2005, 06:27 PM NHFT
Quotethe state is offering 10,000 for 4.9 acres three years later.....

maybe the 4.9 acres in underwater?

They are not "offering" anything. They are going to TAKE the land and give him 10,000.
If some one takes your 20,000 car against your will and give you a $100 dollar bill did he purchase the car from you???

GT

Quote from: Hankster on October 21, 2005, 06:38 PM NHFT
QuoteThey are going to TAKE the land

is it land or water they are taking?

It's his property. Wet dry it doesn't make a difference.

Do you support that state taking private property?

GT

Hankster, read the Union Leader article.....

You nver answered the question. Do you support the state taking private property?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Hankster on October 21, 2005, 07:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: GT on October 21, 2005, 06:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: Hankster on October 21, 2005, 06:38 PM NHFT
QuoteThey are going to TAKE the land

is it land or water they are taking?

It's his property. Wet dry it doesn't make a difference.

Do you support that state taking private property?

just trying to understand the facts...

you wrote:
"287,000 for 6 acres (and dwelling...?) in 2002 and the state is offering 10,000 for 4.9 acres three years later.....but the land is flooded...if the dam were removed a large portion of the "lake" would be dry."

what are the facts as you know it?

did he buy the 6 acres with a house for 287K in '02 and 4.9 acres were underwater because of the dam?

The dam has been there for 50 years. (Knowing this is Hankster I will still ask the question) Would you buy 6 acres if 4.9 of it was underwater?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Hankster on October 21, 2005, 07:58 PM NHFT
QuoteThe dam has been there for 50 years. Would you buy 6 acres if 4.9 of it was underwater?

if I knew the dams lease was soon to be up and that by removal I would be gaining 4.9 acres of land that had previously been underwater? hmmm, seems like a reasonable risk to speculate.

that is why I am asking for the facts...

OK.

Pat McCotter

Some background:

Advocates ask governor to protect marsh

Friday, June 11, 2004
By Chris Dornin
Staff writer

LONDONDERRY -- Gov. Craig Benson received three urgent appeals Wednesday from Londonderry citizens wanting to save Little Cohas Marsh.

A grassroots group led by Chet Ham, the town's Elder Affairs Committee chairman, sent the governor a petition with the signatures of 226 residents opposed to draining the swamp, a process scheduled to begin Tuesday.

Town Manager David Caron faxed Benson a warning of environmental consequences from the drawdown.

And Jed Callen, lawyer for Grenier Field Road resident Ken Smith, sent the chief executive a three-page plan to untie the regulatory knot surrounding the project.

Caron urged the state to prevent siltation, monitor the release of toxic sludge from the marsh floor, do something about fish and animal corpses and keep wells from going dry. He also asked the state to be fair with landowners around the marsh.

"Failure to reach negotiated agreements with the affected landowners has put them in financial limbo," Caron wrote. "They can do little with land that is under the shadow of a future taking."

Benson said he would investigate the controversy over the 225-acre wildlife sanctuary.

The state Fish and Game, Transportation and Environmental Services departments have waged a turf war over the town's prime wetlands all spring, and several federal agencies might soon get involved.

"I have complete faith these three state agencies working together will be able to address the situation in the best and most suitable way possible for the citizens of the region," Benson said.

Transportation Commissioner Carol Murray described the impasse as a "perfect storm" situation, adding, "But I think we can work through this."

A sticking point has been the lack of a steward agency to manage the marsh when it becomes environmental mitigation for the future Airport Access Road. The two-mile highway from Bedford is expected to help Londonderry develop a vacant industrial park.

"My agency doesn't have to find a steward right away," Murray said. "We're in the transportation business, but could we do it ourselves? Yeah. Long term, we really need someone who is there on a regular basis."

Fish and Game Executive Director Lee Perry said his agency has no interest in the role. Murray opposed using her budget to help Londonderry hire someone.

"Other towns have asked us to do that," she said. "We consistently say no."

Murray said the key agencies would meet soon in public session to hash things out and keep the four-lane Airport Access Road on schedule.

"We don't expect this to hold it up," she said. "It's our intent to keep the mitigation package as it is. If there were a change now, that's another (eminent domain) hearing. We'd need to involve all the federal and state resource agencies. Those steps take time."