• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering tournament at PorcFest

Started by Mike Barskey, June 04, 2010, 02:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Barskey

There will be a Magic: The Gathering "Booster Draft" Limited Tournament at PorcFest, on Friday at 8:00p.

Please read the blurb below for details, but I'm posting here to request volunteers. We need a few judges or officials who will be the last word on any disputes or questions about Wizards of the Coast's "Magic: The Gathering" rules. Judges will not be allowed to play in the tournament (but I'm sure there will be plenty of other games going during the week), and must have a strong familiarity with the rules. A complete and current set of rules will be available for reference, but familiarity will help interpretations and speed things up.

Please PM me or email me or call me ((248) NO-STATE) if you are interested in volunteering to be a judge for the Magic tourney.

Thanks. :)

QuoteIf you know and love Magic: The Gathering, don't miss the Magic tournament on Friday night at 8:00p! (If you're interested in learning the game for the first time, this event probably isn't for you - people will likely be very focused, and discussions over abstruse or esoteric rules are commonplace. There are tons of Magic lovers, though, and I bet there will be plenty of opportunities throughout the week to learn to play in a less competitive environment.)

Limited tournaments are based on a pool of cards which the player receives at the time of the event (cards you already own and decks you already constructed are not allowed). Any number of basic lands may also be added to the deck. The decks in limited tournaments need only be 40 cards minimum; all the unused cards function as the sideboard. There is no 4-of-a-kind limit per card as there is in Constructed decks.

In a "Booster Draft", players each receive three booster packs of 15 cards. After being seated around a table, each player simultaneously opens one booster pack, selects a single card, and then passes the rest to the next player over. After all players have drafted fifteen cards, they each open their second pack, and drafting continues. Players examine privately the cards they receive; direct communication between drafters is not allowed. Once players have built their decks, they compete in one-one-one games with the other players.

The newest official Magic: The Gathering rules will be available, and there will be a panel of judges whose decision on all game-related disputes will be the final word during the tournament.

It costs US$15.00 to join the tournament. You will be provided with three 15-card booster packs; every player will receive booster packs from the same expansion set. You get to keep the cards that you draft (i.e., the 45 cards that you select for your tournament deck during the drafting process), with the following exception: at the end of the tournament every player removes all the rare cards from their deck and pools them together. The winner of the tournament gets to choose first which rare card he wants. Then, in a round-robin fashion, the remaining players each select a rare card to keep, until all the rare cards are gone.

Pat K

Oh please, the Judges must "have a strong familiarity with the rules".

It is too laugh, the judges will just make the rules
up as they go along. ;)

Russell Kanning

i see how this game is too complicated for me

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 05, 2010, 06:15 AM NHFT
i see how this game is too complicated for me

Its not really all that complicated. Its just high school level algebra prettied up with D&D pictures. The only real strategy comes in when dealing with multiple other players - deciding who to attack first, and how much to not attack so you have some defense.

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth