• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Grafton ... top story

Started by John, May 26, 2010, 01:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

Mike was more reasonable than any of the authoritays.  Russell didn't even get out of his chair, I'm happy to see irrationality greeted calmly.  That's how psychiatrists get people to see their own insanity, just ask questions in a normal voice  :) 

Ron Helwig

Please take this as constructive criticism.

I find this video to be very disappointing. While the solidly anarchist crowd can plainly see the violence inherent in the system, those who aren't there yet will most likely see this as some radicals being unreasonable. Mike's tone of voice is antagonistic, as seems to be his attitude. The regulations, like no burning between 9 and 5, are seen by most "normal" people as reasonable.

I'd bet that if the fire danger level was one that allowed open fires, Babiarz would have just said "call first next time", and handed out a permit.

In Deerfield, I would just call the fire chief (instead of driving the mile to check the sign) and he would say "go ahead and burn" or "the fire danger is too high today". Getting a seasonal burn permit just required calling him and meeting him somewhere - the second year he didn't even come on the property to look at the fire pit.

Basically, I wouldn't show this video to anyone who is not already solidly an anarchist. I wouldn't even bother showing it to a minarchist as they would probably find more reason to "need" government to protect themselves from the "unreasonable jerks" challenging the "reasonable" restraints on liberty.

If you are going to use civil disobedience to generate propaganda, it is very important to make your position very clearly the correct and reasonable one.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on May 27, 2010, 08:41 AM NHFT
Mike was more reasonable than any of the authoritays.  Russell didn't even get out of his chair, I'm happy to see irrationality greeted calmly.  That's how psychiatrists get people to see their own insanity, just ask questions in a normal voice  :) 
I sat down partly because we knew they were coming back and partly because it was 10 til noon  and time to eat.
We sped up the weenie roast once we found out they were going to put out our fire. I bet chefs in NYC don't have to plan  their dinners around the FD putting out their cooking fires. :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Ron Helwig on May 27, 2010, 09:00 AM NHFT
If you are going to use civil disobedience to generate propaganda, it is very important to make your position very clearly the correct and reasonable one.
I guess you didn't get what happened.

We started a fire to burn extra wood and roast hot dogs. A state fire deputy, a cop, and some members of a fire department .... put it out.

The video shows one guy talking to a cop about a small fire. I wasn't incredibly informative, but he didn't plan the  event.
The newspaper article is mostly correct, which is good for a paper.

I don't understand how their is anything to criticise.

MaineShark

I have to conditionally agree with Ron.

I don't think Barskey acted inappropriately.  I would not have even been that polite.

However, the video needs explanation if it's going to reach a wider audience.  Sit down in a chair, have someone operate the camera, and do it like a news report.  Explain what's happening, cut to video, cut back to explanation.  Do it up like a typical TV news segment, because that's how a lot of folks are used to seeing news presented.  The text-scrolls are quick and easy to do, but they aren't as likely to reach folks.

For example, when he says that it's a "class two fire danger day" (or whatever it was - I'm not going to re-watch it to get an exact quote), cut to someone explaining what that means.  Is "class two" high, low, or what?  I don't know.  Your audience doesn't know.

It's like you have a raw steak there.  Some of us are "hardcore" enough to just chow down.  But the majority of folks want it cooked and served up on a plate with some sides and garnish.  You have the ingredients, and I think you guys did an excellent job getting them; just present them in a way that's more palatable to the audience, and it will get a much better reception.

Joe

John

Joe, Perhaps you can point folks to one of your videos as an example of how to do it correctly? Oh, and please also let us know how long it took to produce.

thinkliberty

Joe,

Are you offering to editorialize Mike's video?

Lex

Class 2: The fire danger is Moderate and the probability of ignition exists in light flashy fuels. However, the fire does not spread very fast and the fire intensity is usually low.

http://www.fremont.nh.gov/documents/fnhgFDfireclassday.pdf

Ron Helwig

Quote from: John on May 27, 2010, 10:42 AM NHFT
Joe, Perhaps you can point folks to one of your videos as an example of how to do it correctly? Oh, and please also let us know how long it took to produce.

This is probably a little more than is needed, but the channel is pretty good.
ICN 5/9/2010 Bank Bailout Protest, PA Big Brother, Hutaree Militia, IMF

EthanLeeVita

I agree with both sides!  ;D

I think this is an example of the violence inherent in the system, especially since they called the cop before the fireman. What I think looked bad for the video was the scene with the cop and the car. While Barskey was right in that the cop didn't have permission, to many people I could easily imagine it coming off as being antagonistic.

JJ

Thanks for the video.  I do think the burn pit was too close to the structure for my comfort.  However, from the video I could see that the fire was not in anyway out of control or dangerous.

Pat K

I have had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach
since I saw this video.
I am too mad and too dejected to comment right now.

Though I will say that Barbiarz, with his little foam
trick, looked just like Barney Fife finally getting to use
his one bullet.

thinkliberty

Thats his new name:

Barbiarz Fife

ha ha

Russell Kanning

Quote from: MaineShark on May 27, 2010, 10:16 AM NHFT
For example, when he says that it's a "class two fire danger day" (or whatever it was - I'm not going to re-watch it to get an exact quote), cut to someone explaining what that means.  Is "class two" high, low, or what?  I don't know.  Your audience doesn't know.
maybe the fire department should make a video explaining their technical terms .... why should we explain our terms and theirs?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Ron Helwig on May 27, 2010, 11:47 AM NHFT
This is probably a little more than is needed, but the channel is pretty good.
ICN 5/9/2010 Bank Bailout Protest, PA Big Brother, Hutaree Militia, IMF
actually this level of quality is the very least this subject should enjoy
someone needs to make an even better video right now
... and get a really really good looking infobabe to make up for merle's screen time