• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Questions about letting trees grow in the backyard

Started by Raineyrocks, June 11, 2010, 04:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Okay, when we first moved here there were just wood chips in our backyard, I guess because it was supposed to be a low maintanence backyard. :dontknow:

So now there are lots of trees growing in the back, up towards the house and I'd hate to have Rick pull them out of the ground because I really love trees. 

Does it matter if trees are growing close to the house?

I hope this question makes sense. :)

MaineShark

If they're too close, they can keep the house moist, which can lead to mold/mildew/etc.

They can also fall and hit the house, when they get big.

Roots can also damage foundations.

It's usually good to have some amount of space between the trees and the house.

Joe

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on June 11, 2010, 04:49 PM NHFT
If they're too close, they can keep the house moist, which can lead to mold/mildew/etc.

They can also fall and hit the house, when they get big.

Roots can also damage foundations.

It's usually good to have some amount of space between the trees and the house.

Joe

Thanks Joe  :)   How much space do you think there should be between trees and the house?

MaineShark

Well, the "right" answer is farther than the tree is (going to be) tall, so it can't possibly hit the house if it falls.

But I do like getting some shade from the trees in the summer, so the closest trees to our house are definitely close enough to cause damage, if they fell.  Just means I need to keep close watch on tree health...

Joe

AntonLee

I watched on Holmes on Homes that a tree's root system can be double the size of its canopy.  If they're too close they can disrupt foundations as Maineshark said, and in the episode they broke a lot of pipes hindering drainage.

Pat McCotter

Don't forget about your septic system. You don't want roots growing through that.

Ron Helwig

When I was building Little Minn, I was told that 20 feet was a reasonable distance.

Later I was told that fire departments would decide if a house is worth trying to save during wildfires by how close significant amounts of wood are to the house. We moved the multi-cord firewood pile away from the house after hearing about that  :) I also noted that the deck in the back wasn't attached to the house, so it could be dragged away if that made the difference between saving it or not.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on June 11, 2010, 06:40 PM NHFT
Well, the "right" answer is farther than the tree is (going to be) tall, so it can't possibly hit the house if it falls.

But I do like getting some shade from the trees in the summer, so the closest trees to our house are definitely close enough to cause damage, if they fell.  Just means I need to keep close watch on tree health...

Joe

Okay thanks! :)  We already have trees that can damage the house if they fall but the ones that are growing might now may be a foundation issue as they become larger.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: AntonLee on June 11, 2010, 07:06 PM NHFT
I watched on Holmes on Homes that a tree's root system can be double the size of its canopy.  If they're too close they can disrupt foundations as Maineshark said, and in the episode they broke a lot of pipes hindering drainage.

Thanks AntonLee! :)  I'm going to try to get Rick to check it out, it's just a shame because most of the new ones growing are beautiful red maples.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat McCotter on June 12, 2010, 05:29 AM NHFT
Don't forget about your septic system. You don't want roots growing through that.

That's true, thanks Pat.  :)  There doesn't seem to be any on that side of the yard but there are alot of little trees growing around the white pipe things in the turkey picture I posted so I guess those will have to go.  Maybe Rick and I can replant them in the woods somewhere, I believe most of them are small enough. :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Ron Helwig on June 12, 2010, 06:11 AM NHFT
When I was building Little Minn, I was told that 20 feet was a reasonable distance.

Later I was told that fire departments would decide if a house is worth trying to save during wildfires by how close significant amounts of wood are to the house. We moved the multi-cord firewood pile away from the house after hearing about that  :) I also noted that the deck in the back wasn't attached to the house, so it could be dragged away if that made the difference between saving it or not.

Thanks Ron, I never even thought about wildfires.  :)  Rick has his firewood stored right underneath the deck and I keep saying he should move it because of the rodent factor, it's right by our basement door.

Tom Sawyer

You need to decide sooner than later which trees to keep. Once they have established an extensive root system you can't pull them out and if you cut them they usually resprout and you have the stumps to deal with.

Many of the first trees are what are known as the pioneer species the first, fast, weedy species that take over open ground ie. white birch, striped maples, sumac etc. I too didn't want to get rid of trees, but have since learned that they need to be the right species in the right place. Once they get bigger you chance damaging the nice trees trying to cut the crap ones down. White birch has a habit of the tops dying and becoming a hazard. Pine is a problem from dripping sap.

Maples, beech, hemlocks and oaks are nice, although the oaks and their acorns can be a pain. Thin the trees out to give them room to develop a nice shape. Chose ones that aren't forked and such because they will be structurally weak later in life and might break and come down from ice etc.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 12, 2010, 10:44 AM NHFT
You need to decide sooner than later which trees to keep. Once they have established an extensive root system you can't pull them out and if you cut them they usually resprout and you have the stumps to deal with.

Many of the first trees are what are known as the pioneer species the first, fast, weedy species that take over open ground ie. white birch, striped maples, sumac etc. I too didn't want to get rid of trees, but have since learned that they need to be the right species in the right place. Once they get bigger you chance damaging the nice trees trying to cut the crap ones down. White birch has a habit of the tops dying and becoming a hazard. Pine is a problem from dripping sap.

Maples, beech, hemlocks and oaks are nice, although the oaks and their acorns can be a pain. Thin the trees out to give them room to develop a nice shape. Chose ones that aren't forked and such because they will be structurally weak later in life and might break and come down from ice etc.

Thanks Tom! :)  What do you mean by forked?   I guess I have to learn how to identify the trees too because I only know what maples, birch, and pine trees look like.  There's a nice size tree that looks like it has palm leaves on it and I have no idea what that one is.

Would it be a good idea to transplant some of them in the woods instead of killing them?  I know 2 of them have grown to about 3 feet, the rest are around a foot or under so they shouldn't be too big yet, right?

Tom Sawyer

You want one straight trunk, not Y shaped with two our more trunks.

As to replanting trees, you of course can, if you can dig them deep enough to not cut the tap root, which often is pretty deep. Remember that there are plenty of trees... they grow real well in the north woods, you don't have to feel guilty for killing extras.  :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 12, 2010, 11:09 AM NHFT
You want one straight trunk, not Y shaped with two our more trunks.

As to replanting trees, you of course can, if you can dig them deep enough to not cut the tap root, which often is pretty deep. Remember that there are plenty of trees... they grow real well in the north woods, you don't have to feel guilty for killing extras.  :)

Thanks again!  :D  I know there's plenty of trees, I just feel like their lives matter to them, each one that is.  It probably sounds corny but I would feel real guilty. 

I even dodge frogs in the road even though I'm sure I've accidentally gotten some I do pray for everything I accidentally kill.  I try not to walk on ant's homes too.  :P