• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What's going on in Manchester?

Started by brycen, June 12, 2010, 04:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

brycen

I don't see much activity on here from the people in Manchester. Is there another forum that is more active, or do people just not have anything to post?

So you know, I will be attending Porcfest, and then staying another 2 days in NH. For part of that time I plan to visit Manchester (won't be around for Taproom Tuesdays either week, unfortunately). Is there anything going on I can try to attend the Sunday - Tuesday am after Porcfest? Also, need a place to crash Monday night in Manchester or thereabouts. Any suggestions?

Bryce in Utah (aka 10stateswithnh on FSP forum)

djbridgeland

Manchester events aside from Taproom Tuesdays, seem to be more spur of the moment.  Some do gather at Milly's Tavern during happy hour ($1 in house brewed beers from 4 - 7 PM) .  Maybe putting something together Monday morning / afternoon might be a good idea for those visiting to meet Manchester activists before leaving New Hampshire. 

Russell Kanning

i was just thinking this week that the manchester crowd has gone silent
if they are doing something, I don't know about it

Ron Helwig

What Dan said. Plus most such organizing happens on Facebook.

Most of the Manchester stuff is either direct traditional politics or partying. I really want to get the hell out of here. Grafton has always looked good, except lately it looks like there's too much partying going on there too.

I didn't move to NH to party. I came here to work for more freedom.

djbridgeland

And here you go. More details to follow assuming people post their preferences.  If not then I will just pick a place and time and announce it prior to the official start of porcfest.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=21017.0

djbridgeland

Ended up settling on the airport dinner per someones suggestion.  Thinking a Monday lunch would be best. That allows those staying at Roger's a bit longer to get back and of course convenient for those leaving  Monday afternoon / evening. Here is a link to the facebook page. Of course from here if you can get the tour of Manchester from local activists or maybe organize plans afterwards.

The Airport Dinner
2280 Brown Ave
Manchester, NH 03103

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126719967364538

Russell Kanning

my favorite place to eat in manch :)

how does the partying hurt you Ron? You can just not participate .... or can't you stop? :)

maybe you can't keep out of politics either :)

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 24, 2010, 06:01 AM NHFT
how does the partying hurt you Ron? You can just not participate .... or can't you stop? :)

They keep having them at my/our place. The loudness and such interferes with my ability to work on stuff. Add in my inability to sleep much past sunup, and the late night partying really harms my ability to earn a living by turning me into a sleep deprived zombie.

I have lots of things I have promised people I would do, and I also have things I need to work on that should bring in the income I need to pay the rent. I feel bad about how far behind I have fallen on my promises to others, including paying clients.

brycen

Sorry I didn't see the post about the airport diner until now. I did go out bar-hopping with my new friends from California (except I don't think you're supposed to drink just soda when you barhop). One of the places we visited late Monday night was Murphy's Taproom, so at least I can say I've been there. Unfortunately all 3 of us had flights out Tuesday before the Taproom event.

Manchester seems like a nice place but a little confusing to get around when you don't know it very well. I will probably settle in one of the nearby little towns rather than in the city when I move next year, unless I decide to get around solely by bus or possibly move instead to the seacoast.

Russell Kanning

i bet you could find a quiet place in manch somewhere Ron :)

your post might just bring more party..ers to manchestahh to see what all the noise is about

Jared

i'm probably going to move to manchester as soon as i can find a decent job there. maybe me and ron can hang out and be boring together haha.

i think we should be honest that a large part of the nh appeal is being around a large concentration of like-minded people. i guess it makes sense that lots of parties will happen. my own personal goal right now is to stop being such a hermit and start meeting some more like-minded people....so a place like manchester where lots of them get together often is appealing to me.

error

Shh! Don't tell anybody that people in Manchester are working hard - and sometimes quietly - on building alternatives to government institutions. :)